What's the best filter out of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: horse123
Wix rep had 0 idea what he was talking about. I asked him the efficiency of the 57055 @ 20 microns and he said "they're only rated to 15 microns and that's how they've always been"... clearly had no idea what I was asking. Didn't provide a percentage at 15 microns or anything.

WIX must have hired some laid-off Purolator employees.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: jk_636
They are all pretty much (with the exception of the Microgreen) the same when it comes to filtration.

So how do you know what the filtration of the microGreen filters is?

He doesn't, but it's his next go to filter so it has to be the best...

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: car51
So, M1 or FU

That's the strongest support I've seen for M1 filters!

wink.gif
laugh.gif

I know and it's so weird

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Wix rep had 0 idea what he was talking about. I asked him the efficiency of the 57055 @ 20 microns and he said "they're only rated to 15 microns and that's how they've always been"... clearly had no idea what I was asking. Didn't provide a percentage at 15 microns or anything.

WIX must have hired some laid-off Purolator employees.
grin.gif

You guys are so much smarter than the Wix phone folks.

I bet they chuckle every time your numbers pop up on their caller ID.

Along the lines of the filter magnet conversation, anyone interested in a lower cost DIY Filtermag should have a look at the N42SH ARC Neodymium Magnet OD3 x ID2.5 x 0.75 in.x90 Degree that are currently on sale at CMS Magnetics online store.

These are rated to 150c/302f so they won't loose there magnetism like most Neodymium magnets will at normal oil filter temps. I am in no way affiliated with CMS, just passing along what looks like a good solution at a more reasonable price. I ordered both north and south pole arcs and will receive them early next week.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
If the oil filter does such a good job why are the fines on the can

That tells me the filter did its job! You do know the flow direction of your engine oil right? Particles in the pan or the can are fine. You do not want it moving past the filter and with the current efficiencies of even the budget filters (see the low Toyota filters) there is little worry for engine life. There does come a point of diminished returns.

Again, magnets only work for magnetic particles.... so ...

Totally aware of oil flow direction and the magnets only catch ferrous metal.

If the filter caught them in the pleats they wouldn't be stuck to the side of the can caught by a magnet would they ?

Those particles probably went round and round a few times before the magnet caught them on the side where its stuck to a filter.

Like 98 Vs 99 % efficient filters@X yes its a dimishing return, but a return no less.

If you believe "every little bit of help counts" then they make sense if not to each his own.

UD

Not sure you are aware of the direction of oil flow. Ferrous material caught by magnet on the oil filter can may have never passed through the filter. Oil enters around the perimeter of the filter, exits out the center.

For my Impreza in my signature. 5000 mile OCI right now.

My options are Mobil 1 M1-110, Fram PH7317 Extra Guard, Fram XG7317 Ultra, Fram TG7313 Tough Guard, Subaru 15208AA15A (blue filter), Purolator PSL14612, Bosch 3974, microGreen 101-7, K&N HP-1010 (I've been using this).

Does it really matter out of all of those? Just choose what's cheapest?

It matters to me, maybe not you though.

1. The Microgreen- is the only dual stage in the group. Full stop.

MG gets heat here because they only cite generic ISO testing, but you can look up PTFE filtration online and see its easy to come by 2 micron units.
They offer a unique value proposition and the only real differentiated product.

2. Then the Ultra- the current best single stage

2.5 Bosch distance +(not sure if thats the part number you selected) is either tied with or just above the M1

3. -The Mobil 1

Amsoil isn't on the list but should be.

UD

Bosch D+ efficiency has always been advertised as 99.9% efficiency at 40 microns.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/filters/distanceplus-oil-filters

The new Mobil 1 oil filters with an "A" suffix are rated 99+% efficient at 30 microns.

https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/performance-oil-filters

Mobil 1 oil filters without the "A" suffix are rated 99.6% efficient at 25 microns.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2NTEAdC4vxdDNXV05Yc0FHUGczaVRTeF9qb0FuTWt2bXRF/view?usp=drivesdk

What criteria are you applying to rate the Bosch D+ equal to or slightly above the M1 oil filter on your list?

Maybe UD has changed his mind by now, since he said that almost 2 years ago.

Originally Posted By: GrumpyCat
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
If the oil filter does such a good job why are the fines on the can

That tells me the filter did its job! You do know the flow direction of your engine oil right? Particles in the pan or the can are fine. You do not want it moving past the filter and with the current efficiencies of even the budget filters (see the low Toyota filters) there is little worry for engine life. There does come a point of diminished returns.

Again, magnets only work for magnetic particles.... so ...

Totally aware of oil flow direction and the magnets only catch ferrous metal.

If the filter caught them in the pleats they wouldn't be stuck to the side of the can caught by a magnet would they ?

Those particles probably went round and round a few times before the magnet caught them on the side where its stuck to a filter.

Like 98 Vs 99 % efficient filters@X yes its a dimishing return, but a return no less.

If you believe "every little bit of help counts" then they make sense if not to each his own.

UD

Not sure you are aware of the direction of oil flow. Ferrous material caught by magnet on the oil filter can may have never passed through the filter. Oil enters around the perimeter of the filter, exits out the center.

They "may" never have but its unlikely - most Iron particles simply go round and round till you dump.

You can get an idea of just how many particles are floating around(not all ferrous) by looking at ISO tests.

UD

Yup things change.....

Nyogotha -

My new list would have the dual stage Cummins Stratapour Venturi on top, The only remaining dual stage I implicitly trust.

The FU next..

Then the mobil 1.

Then Amsoil..

After looking at the last couple years C&P's I think Id leave out the Bosch going forward.

After MGs own foolish submission - and evidence (not proof) of charlatanism - the MG's fate to me rests in my next two UOA's which Ill pay for ISO counts.

The numbers I get back will be my guide.....

UD

Last edited:

It doesn't invalidate the question even for the time frame 2 years ago as no Mobil 1 oil filters with the "A" suffix were on retail shelves then IIRC. Indeed, it makes the ranking criteria even more puzzling to me personally. Clearly not to everyone though.

UD thanks for your updated list, but it doesn't really answer the question on your ranking rationale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

It doesn't invalidate the question even for the time frame 2 years ago as no Mobil 1 oil filters with the "A" suffix were on retail shelves then IIRC. Indeed, it makes the ranking criteria even more puzzling to me personally. Clearly not to everyone though.

UD thanks for your updated list, but it doesn't really answer the question on your ranking rationale.

...had you brought it up back then Id have likely engaged in what would turn out to be a bitog style lively discussion as to "why".

UD

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

Never said it invalidated the question. I wasn't taking about the efficiencies of the filters listed way back then changing, I was just saying UD might have changed his mind since it's been awhile since this thread was alive.

And I had and still have nothing requiring or soliciting input from you in this thread. My post question was very clear as to whom I addressed, and that it was addressing ranking criteria, not changes in efficiency by manufacturers over time.

This is a virtual example of parasitic drag. I value folks answering for themselves.

YMMV

Last edited:
Apparently you didn't realize this was an old thread ... and I don't recall any rules around here that someone has to be "solicited" in order to make a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back