Ferrari 812 Superfast Oil Consumption

In the garage:
IMG_1474.JPG

These cars have been out for 3 years and it seems many are reporting up to 3 quarts of oil usage per 1,000 miles. This is “normal” according to the owners manual. The engine is an 800 HP V12 running up to 9,000 RPM. No turbo, naturally aspirated. It uses a 5W-40 and the manual states that one should not run high RPM until the engine oil gets above 160F.

I had one of the original Ford Expedition SUVs from new to 45,000 miles until I traded it in. It was the only vehicle I ever owned that consumed oil. From day one until the day I parted with that truck it used the same amount of oil. It was around a quart per 1,000 miles. I thought at first the consumption would go down after the engine was fully broken in but it never changed.

I have used grades of 20 to 60 in single engines that never consumed any oil. So I do not think it is an issue of grades.

The current 812SF has 1,300 miles and used 2 quarts in the last 500 miles. The oil in the oil tank (dry sump) is clean, odorless, and there is no smell of the exhaust and no smoke. No leaks underneath. The oil capacity is 14qts. Where is the oil going?? Thoughts??

AEHaas

I always wonder about posts like this on forums.

I own two 599 GTB's which share the same F140 engine, along with the FF and F12.

None of these motors use 5W-40. Ever. They use 10W-60 Shell Helix Racing oil. Even the higher end 488's use the 10W-60. They generally consume about a quart every 2,000 miles when driven normally.

Either you:
A) don't actually own an 812 and you're a poser.​
B) you're an idiot that just destroyed your engine.​

I'm posting this here so the person you try to stick the car with can find this post for you in Sarasota, FL and then sue you for known damage.

A) don't actually own an 812 and you're a poser.B) you're an idiot that just destroyed your engine.
I'm posting this here so the person you try to stick the car with can find this post for you in Sarasota, FL and then sue you for known damage.
You Are Dumb,

Dr. Haas certainly does own this car and is not a poser. Do you really think it's impossible for a 812 engine to use oil? I was questioning your choice of a username, question answered.

Is it due to just poor engineering with bad oil control rings?
That's my guess.

I really feel the EC will maybe free up those sticky rings. I cannot conclusively prove it but I believe it helped immensely on my better engine than the Superfast *cough* kind of *cough*

Ferrari just ain't the same, man. 80s 90s then garbage past a 575M... in my opinion.

If you consider something wrong, changing the PCV valve is cheap.
He should check for an external oil leak as well.

If it hits the exhaust, it will make a smokescreen for the road a la Spy Hunter and leave an oily film on the back window, if it is bad enough or a Rear Main Seal or something.

He should check for an external oil leak as well.

If it hits the exhaust, it will make a smokescreen for the road a la Spy Hunter and leave an oily film on the back window, if it is bad enough or a Rear Main Seal or something.
The only place for the oil to go is the tail pipe. External leaks are pretty obvious.

Back