Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

- Auto-dimming rear view mirror with no override. Tinted rear window doesn't let enough light through to properly activate the feature on 2-lane roads.

- No drain plugs on front or rear differentials (2016 F150 4x4)

- No grease fittings for front suspension/steering links & not even drilled for them (on a 4x4!)

I believe fighter jets have a screen but the actuation switches/buttons are aside the screen.

THIS is what should be the norm. "Touch screens" are failures waiting to happen.

On my Mini the brake lights don't work unless the dongle is inserted into the ignition. That's a feature I don't want.

I believe fighter jets have a screen but the actuation switches/buttons are aside the screen.

THIS is what should be the norm. "Touch screens" are failures waiting to happen.
Have you ever asked your passenger to program the nav system while you are flying over a bumpy road? It's voice activated you say? My nav system is hard of hearing or maybe it's simply non-compliant.

With the BSM... I also put on those wide angle mirrors... because sometimes, the BSM will alert me when there is a car in my blind spot 2 lanes over, which is a little annoying.

Fortunately, LKA and Lane Centering is off by default on my car, and only use it with the cruise control on longer drives.

I'm going to have to say everything from exterior styling, to interior quality, to mechanical items I could care less about.

I really miss the fake woodgrain inserts no the sides of vehicles. Just kidding. I guess the start/stop feature is something I don't have and would never buy a vehicle that didn't have the disable feature for auto start/stop. Navigation would be nice to use while the vehicle is moving. I don't like vehicles that have sealed automatic transmissions that are difficult to service. Rims that crack on the C-7 Corvettes are a real letdown. Other than that I like most of the new vehicle features.

Another vote for lane keep assist. Driving my new car home without having gone through its many menus I thought I was slipping on black ice because the car was not consistently responding to my controls.

The roads here are awful, I like being up on the crown hugging the center line when I can so if I do hit ice there's time to recover before the ditch. This freaks out the auto-steering computer.

The sucky thing about radar cruise control is how, by default, it keeps me ~5 seconds behind the car in front of me. On an interstate, I like to let cruise close the gap to 2 seconds then I flick on my turn signal and make my pass. Often find my car losing speed instead. I like the feature otherwise-- if I'm behind a truck that's going the speed I like but it loses a little speed on the hills I can roll with it.

In the CX5 things I turned off:

Yet another vote for LKA - Got tired of fighting the thing when I needed to make quick lane changes or when I was driving some of the more fun "snake path" (curvy/hilly) back roads here in the STL region.

Auto-sensing wipers - these worked better than the last vehicle I had them in, but still jumps to full speed wipers WAY too fast for my tastes.

I'm glad most functions of the CX5 are not accessed through the touch screen. It does annoy me that if adjustments to navigation need to be made the car needs to be stopped (to use the touch screen) or for my phone to be picked up to make changes. I see the point, but if there's a passenger?

Regardless, aside from that quibble I find Apple Carplay to be a fantastic piece of tech, and wireless CarPlay (in the Malibu since it was a '21) was a very cool thing, I haven't looked but it would be awesome if there was a way for me to retrofit that into the CX5.

I'm glad most functions of the CX5 are not accessed through the touch screen. It does annoy me that if adjustments to navigation need to be made the car needs to be stopped (to use the touch screen) or for my phone to be picked up to make changes. I see the point, but if there's a passenger?

Are you changing the destination? Otherwise it self corrects.

Dealer lots ordering all vehicles with optional 20" tires for the cool factor when all they do is add cost and harshen the ride.
Dumbest thing I seen was the uptrimmed All Wheel Drive cars with huge wheels on them, it's like, hello, who drives AWD cars, totally not people up north that bought them to drive through snow and ice that for the rest of the year have to deal with pot holes and crappily patched roads everywhere.

Regardless, aside from that quibble I find Apple Carplay to be a fantastic piece of tech, and wireless CarPlay (in the Malibu since it was a '21) was a very cool thing, I haven't looked but it would be awesome if there was a way for me to retrofit that into the CX5.
I know they make a bluetooth dongle that you plug in to usb on car to convert to wireless android auto.. might be something similar for carplay.

Reading this thread made me depressed.

Rather than list the things I hate about new cars I'll just list the few things I do like that have been introduced over the past decade: TPMS that shows the PSI in each tire, adaptive cruise control, better crash protection.

Give me manual transmission, air conditioning, an aux cord to plug in my phone and get off my lawn!!

Last edited:
Agree on 20" rims. Alloy rims too. They look nice but cost extra, need more work to keep clean, and then if you get steelies for winter, you're stuck with with a car that keeps changing looks, depending on the season.

I dislike seatbelt chimes and auto-locking doors. I often start before getting the belt on (sometimes I'm doing musical cars in the driveway and not belting up), and the locking doors seem to always need to be unlocked, like when I need to get out but left the car running.

Wife has taken a dislike the auto-dimming radio display in her new car. It's does not do a gradual fade: it just drops down, or shoots up. Worse is that it will jump between the two during dusk, like when you drive under trees and then back out. It might be a setting somewhere, she's not sure, but if it would just fade up and down it wouldn't be so bad--or just didn't change at all, that might be better.

Speaking of which, I'm reminded on my truck, the dashboard lights would dim when I turned on the headlights. Nice during night time. But often on road trips I would flip the lights on "for safety" which meant I'd have to turn up the dashboard lights so that I could read them, in particular the radio. It was a feature that didn't actually help me. [Oh well, it's traded off now.]

Back