Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

1. the increasing absence of a manual transmission choice
  2. lane keeping assistance (+ see 7.)
  3. increasingly aggressive styling
  4. increasing vehicle weights
  5. overly huge wheels
  6. cheaper interior materials used
  7. start/stop (and having to switch it off every time you enter the car)
  8. scratch-sensitive high-gloss piano black interior trims
  9. headlights prone to fogging
  10. the increasing absence of transmission drain and fill plugs
  11. annoyingly loud exhausts
  12. unreadable dipsticks (BMW/Mini, do you hear me?)
  13. notoriously rattling moonroofs (30 year old tech the industry should have a lock on)
  14. hyping up electrification and hybrid technology
However I don't understand the hate for underbody panels and plastic oil pans.
Actually I do rate underbody panels highly and retrofitted them whenever possible.
My GTI's plastic oil pan and in particular its bayonet-lock plastic drain plug makes
changing oil even easier. I don't see what could be wrong with it.

It was hot here yesterday and I ended up getting a parking spot right in front of my son's soccer field and it was a better view than being on the field so I decided to sit there for an hour in the AC - after 30 mins of idling the engine shuts off automatically. At first, it freaked me out until I figured out what happened. With a push-button start I get it but I'd like the ability to turn it off.

In my experience the automatic braking safety feature is way out of wack or at least needs some tweaking on most vehicles. Sometimes 2-3 car lengths ahead stopping and vehicles lock down the brakes and obnoxiously beep at you.

Stop/Start. I didn't like it when they first introduced it, I like it even less now. There's a few other features I'm not a fan of, but my biggest beef is still stop/start. If they do away with provisions to disable it, that carmaker will be a company I won't buy from.

Rented a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica last May. The only thing I hated other than the wide step over was the start/stop. It had a start/stop defeat button but you needed to press it every time you restarted the engine with the start button. I ran the A/C all the time; this seemed to defeat the start/stop as well.

I too think the knob to shift the transmission is lame.

Auto braking. Had my '20 Traverse auto brake hard for the invisible man. I turned that crap off ASAP along with the other nanny's that allow the daydreaming, phone holding, untrained and inattentive of today to operate a vehicle.
Make getting a D/L a skills test instead of form filling exercise.

New vehicles often come with 'upgraded' features and benefits such as safety or design layout, reliability issues fixed from prior models, etc. At this point you'd think the auto should be near perfected. But it seems for every 5 steps forward we take about 3 back. Here are some of the gripes as to why I don't buy new vehicles, other than outrageous costs and depreciation.

* Too many recalls. I'm not interested in being a beta tester. Recalls on things we should have long ago perfected like steering, brakes, airbags, etc. really ward me away.
* Making maintenance harder for the consumer or DIYer. The removal of dipsticks and sealed systems is a big one I detest.
* The looks - too many modern cars look the same, and are ugly. I also do not like the large bass-mouth grills, and the large obnoxious lights found on some like the trucks with the huge [ grill ] lighting. Ugh.
* Speaking of lights, why do headlights turn off when the turn signal is engaged? Who thinks losing a headlight is a good feature?
* Cars turning off when stopped at intersections. This must be really bad on the starter, fuel economy, and engine wear.
* Much cheaper materials, like paper thin leather seats and upholstery that wears out in 10k miles.

I'm sure there's more.
Headlights don’t turn off with turn signals. DRLs turn off with turn signals to provide other drivers more visibility to the turn signal

Push button start. On several occasions I've jumped out the car and not noticed my keys slipped out my pockets

Sun roof and or windows that open via fob with vehicle off even if it is raining and the fob button was accidently bumped.

BIL has a big Jeep that did that to him while he was at work and a storm was going on.

Dang thing should come with a bailing bucket.

Stop start -- ugg hate it
adaptive cruise control that gets confused when a car is exiting the highway and applies the brakes, my 250 will slam the brakes sometimes in this situation.
lane keep -- just hate it, hate it , hate it, did I tell you I hate it, if not just so you know I hate it.

Back