What automotive 'trends' do you remember clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
"Rich Corinthian leather"

That is another gimmick I remember.

Don't forget to read that with a "Ricardo Montalbán" accent.
I think of that commercial every time Ricardo shows up on an old TV movie.Thanks for the memory.

And not an integral component of an automobile,but one that I saw on many cars heading west on US 66, the canvas water bag draped across the headlight. Think."The Grapes of Wrath" and the Joads journey to southern California. Anyone remember that?

Continental Kits and this is aftermarket...but around here everyone was shoehorning small block chevy engines in 80's and early 90's S10 pickups.

I remember when emission standards, the insurance industry, and the Safety Nazis killed off the musclecars in the early '70s; the automakers came out with stripe package specials to fill the void. Remember the Heavy Chevy, Rally Nova, Charger Rallye[sic], the Duster Twister, and the GT-37?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I remember when emission standards, the insurance industry, and the Safety Nazis killed off the musclecars in the early '70s; the automakers came out with stripe package specials to fill the void. Remember the Heavy Chevy, Rally Nova, Charger Rallye[sic], the Duster Twister, and the GT-37?

This beast's 302 V8 put out 14 less HP than my 3.0L V6 Ranger does.

1978-Ford-Mustang-King-Cobra.jpg

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

1978-Ford-Mustang-King-Cobra.jpg

I remember those,beautiful cars!! I had a t-shirt from T-Shirts Plus when I was 7 or 8 years old that had that car iron-transfered onto it haha.

Tail fins = great stuff.

Here's another one: variable valve timing has quietly snuck it's way into almost everything.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
teal and purple paint (mid-90's)

Dodge for a while used purple primer, so when the *other* color flaked off, you were left with purple! Especially neons.

I also remember lots of purple Berettas, with, of course, vinyl stickers and cladding.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
teal and purple paint (mid-90's)

Or those Fords that used that kind of pearlescent paint that was supposed to sort of change color depending in the sun angle! Unfortunately they just looked like they were faded, even when new. Bad idea!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Interestingly enough the 1975 Mustang II in V8 5.0L with the cruise-o-matic glory put out a whopping 1 more HP, was more than 3 seconds slower 0-60 all while delivering much much worse fuel economy than my 1.8L Corolla.
crackmeup2.gif

How about analog style graphic equalizers mounted below the dash; the more sliders, the better? (My '78 LTD)
Compact spares (or the lack of a spare altogether)
Fender skirts (once completely flustered a tire shop with my Dad's '68 Electra 225)
Filling your gas tank behind the (hinged) license plate (my wife's '76 Skylark 350)

Originally Posted By: vlpronj

Filling your gas tank behind the (hinged) license plate...

Those were the best! Equal access regardless of which way you parked at the pump.

I can see why they went away though. Probably were a fire hazard if you got rear-ended!

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I also remember when cars (1970s) only came with an AM radio with that one oval shaped speaker in the middle of the dash. I'm thinking maybe it was the higher end cars like Cadillacs and Lincolns that came with an AM/FM radio,and some with either an 8 track or cassette player?

Under dash FM converters anyone?
YES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back