Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

My take:

CVTs with the fake shifting, ABSOLUTELY hate that, I bought a honda CVT for a reason because I want the more efficiency possible, not the fake shift crap.

Cramped engine bays

Impossible to reach oil filters (ie, 4runners oil filter requires a skidplate removal, because Toyota is too **** cheap to add a hatch for easy access)

Oil filters that require special tools to remove (Again, Toyotas inline filter, makes once 1 step process closer to 5-6)

Owners manuals that don't tell you crap about how to care for vehicle YOU bought. Just "take it to your local dealer for service"

General cheapness of newer cars, thinner metal, the thinner and more present use of plastics, fit and finish (ie, body lines and panel gaps aren't great)

DI and stop start. I better hide.
27.gif
I'm slowly realizing the fact that if I want a new vehicle I'll have to live with them, oh well. At least stop/start can be disabled in the vehicles I like.

No knobs or switches for HVAC and entertainment system.
Not allowing you full control of HVAC (sometimes I want defrost and recirculation on at the same time to warm up the interior faster).
Ford does some stupid things like having a parking sensor chime that drops the volume of the entertainment system but doesn't pause Bluetooth audio while it's doing that so if you're listening to a podcast you have to rewind to hear what you missed.
Infotainment that won't let you dial calls while driving. All that does is make pe

If your daughter was hit by a bad driver that wasn't protected by nanny then you might have a different opinion.

Seriously, we have everyone in the US buying massive weight suvs and crew cabs to protect themselves but not the other cars driver passengers, and people never bat an eye, but then complain about electronics nanny that really works protecting both sides. I don't get it.
Protecting both sides... from what? Our own lack of attention and inability to focus on the task at hand? Maybe the real solution for our country is to stop handing out driver's licenses as if they are Cracker Jack toys... let's do more than drive around the block, turn left and park in order to have the privilege of driving on public roads. It's a joke.
Of course it is true, I would not want anyone's child to be hurt by another driver or anything else, period. My point was that these "driver aids" encourage drivers to pay even less attention to the road than we already do. Something like this: "I don't need to focus on staying in my lane or maintaining a safe distance ahead because the lane departure warning and distance monitor will let me know... so I can safely text my friends from behind the wheel." Yes I know you are talking about the accident victims who would be protected by these nannies. And I'm saying, if drivers paid more attention and showed the slightest amount of care for others, there would be fewer victims and less stress overall. There's no way to protect everyone from everything, yet our society embraces that impossibility and we are only doing it to ourselves.

So get off my lawn basically? I'd always take my newest vehicles (2018) over my oldest (2003) w/r to features. Safer. More reliable. More power with better mpgs. The passive safety features are game-changers for crash prevention.

Protecting both sides... from what? Our own lack of attention and inability to focus on the task at hand? Maybe the real solution for our country is to stop handing out driver's licenses as if they are Cracker Jack toys... let's do more than drive around the block, turn left and park in order to have the privilege of driving on public roads. It's a joke.
Of course it is true, I would not want anyone's child to be hurt by another driver or anything else, period. My point was that these "driver aids" encourage drivers to pay even less attention to the road than we already do. Something like this: "I don't need to focus on staying in my lane or maintaining a safe distance ahead because the lane departure warning and distance monitor will let me know... so I can safely text my friends from behind the wheel." Yes I know you are talking about the accident victims who would be protected by these nannies. And I'm saying, if drivers paid more attention and showed the slightest amount of care for others, there would be fewer victims and less stress overall. There's no way to protect everyone from everything, yet our society embraces that impossibility and we are only doing it to ourselves.
In theory it works, in practice in a democracy you will face voters rage if enough bad drivers are in the voter pool. They want the convenience, they want the safety, so they would rather have the nanny mandated to protect themselves against each other. (i.e. in many non democracy nations the driving test is a lot harder than in the joke we have in the US where everyone deserves to pass after a few trial).

When was the last time people vote public transit over automotive in the US?

Also don't forget it is a human nature that we want to protect ourselves against others and eventually lead to a vehicle weight arm-race. This is also why I believe driverless car will eventually have AI that prioritize passengers safety vs pedestrians in every single "trolley's problem" scenario, otherwise people will not buy it and it will not be popularized.

Humanity is hopeless, and we need electronics to keep us from getting into trouble.

Humanity would be less hopeless if the stupid were allowed to kill themselves, which would happen naturally if not protected from themselves. Theoretically this would leave the smart/lucky individuals to pass on "better" genes. Maybe some smart ones would be inadvertently killed as well but IMO that is a small price to pay to keep our species from completely self-destructing. Wow, what a rant LOL... sorry! :/

Drive modes…nothing but a gimmick.
Depends on the vehicle… most are just throttle sensitivity adjusters and shift point changes. SRT Grand Cherokees and Durango’s for instance it changes the front/rear torque bias. Snow mode splits it 50/50, track is like 30/70 etc.

Humanity would be less hopeless if the stupid were allowed to kill themselves, which would happen naturally if not protected from themselves. Theoretically this would leave the smart/lucky individuals to pass on "better" genes. Maybe some smart ones would be inadvertently killed as well but IMO that is a small price to pay to keep our species from completely self-destructing. Wow, what a rant LOL... sorry! :/
I’m a firm advocate for removing all safety/warning labels lol

Pilots should manually fly every plane!

What about cruise ships?

Guided missiles?

You're on a phone with a calculator; I think you should only get to use an abacus. Write letters instead of texting.

Is your TV remote controlled? What a nanny device.

Technology is such a crutch.

**** millennials.

New vehicles often come with 'upgraded' features and benefits such as safety or design layout, reliability issues fixed from prior models, etc. At this point you'd think the auto should be near perfected. But it seems for every 5 steps forward we take about 3 back. Here are some of the gripes as to why I don't buy new vehicles, other than outrageous costs and depreciation.

* Too many recalls. I'm not interested in being a beta tester. Recalls on things we should have long ago perfected like steering, brakes, airbags, etc. really ward me away.
* Making maintenance harder for the consumer or DIYer. The removal of dipsticks and sealed systems is a big one I detest.
* The looks - too many modern cars look the same, and are ugly. I also do not like the large bass-mouth grills, and the large obnoxious lights found on some like the trucks with the huge [ grill ] lighting. Ugh.
* Speaking of lights, why do headlights turn off when the turn signal is engaged? Who thinks losing a headlight is a good feature?
* Cars turning off when stopped at intersections. This must be really bad on the starter, fuel economy, and engine wear.
* Much cheaper materials, like paper thin leather seats and upholstery that wears out in 10k miles.

I'm sure there's more.
Pretty sure that stopping at intersections, not using a 'regular' starter. Recalls are always going to happen, Noah, built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic. Looks are becoming more similar due to aerodynamics. On the flip side, I like backup cameras, multiple airbags, auto-braking to avoid a collision, hill descent assists, great for snow, AND on the KONA, you the user could program the features yourself. The car even monitors your eyes etc and a picture of a cup of coffee appears suggesting you take a break !! A this in a car for $24k

What about cruise ships?

Guided missiles?

You're on a phone with a calculator; I think you should only get to use an abacus. Write letters instead of texting.

**** millennials.
Someone's triggered. Yikes.

Most of those don't even "remote"ly relate to this topic. Pun intended.

You can't argue with the main point: people need to pay attention while driving and nothing else. This alone would prevent more incidents than any "nanny" device ever will.

What about cruise ships?

Guided missiles?

**** millennials.
I Agree to a point, my Kona could me set so that if you put the tires about 2 inches over a white/yellow line without a turn signal and the beeping would wake the dead
Pretty sure that stopping at intersections, not using a 'regular' starter. Recalls are always going to happen, Noah, built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic. Looks are becoming more similar due to aerodynamics. On the flip side, I like backup cameras, multiple airbags, auto-braking to avoid a collision, hill descent assists, great for snow, AND on the KONA, you the user could program the features yourself. The car even monitors your eyes etc and a picture of a cup of coffee appears suggesting you take a break !! A this in a car for $24k
Let's see, where do I begin?

*Let's start with the absolute deal-breakers:
Turbos
Direct injection
CVTs
Cylinder deactivation
Collision avoidance with automatic brakes
Less than 4 cylinders
No cylinders at all (electric)
Large touch screens that control EVERYTHING (looking at you RAM)
Any touch screen that controls A/C. Knobs or physical buttons, no exceptions.
Start-stop (even if it can be disabled)
Lane keep assist/lane centering (that can't be shut off)
Any kind of assisted steering
Adaptive cruise control (that can't be shut off)
Push button start
Automatic high beams
Push button/dial gear selector
Driver drowsiness detector
What GMBoy said about opening you door and it goes into park (didn't know this was a thing)

*The non-deal-breakers but a large roll of the eyes:
Back-up warnings
Adaptive cruise (which can be disabled - because I still paid for it)
Lane keep assist (which can be disabled - because I still paid for it)
Daytime running lights/auto lights
Seat belt warning chimes that go off when you're going under 10mph in a parking lot but continue to be obnoxious *even in park* (looking at you Hyundai)
Capless gas tanks
"Sealed" transmissions
"ECO/ECON" modes (I've used on several cars with worse off results than non-eco)
Non-serviceable fuel filters (almost every car within the last 20 years)
Heads-up displays
Cars that play engine revving audio through the speakers because they're too anemic

Indifferent opinion:
Electric steering
Blind spot detection

And the things I used to dislike that have won me over:
A display larger than two inches (but smaller than 7")
Backup cameras (goes hand in hand with the display)
Steering wheel control buttons (A/C, radio, menus, cruise)
*Customizable* maintenance minder settings (Hyundai, probably others)
Oil life monitor (I don't rely on it, but it's reassurance)
TPMS sensors that read individual tires with semi real-time pressures
Auto-manual control when done properly (Hyundai)

...just to name a few.
Hyundai fan here, for all the reasons you state,

Back