Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

Hyundai’s stupid system that disables throttle input when braking with the left foot. Can’t see towing or loading up, or loading onto a trailer a Hyundai in a hilly place with that system.

Push button start- I need a place for my keys. No knobs for radios + hvac- hate the touch screens as they are way more distracting. Dials for gear selectors. The auto/stop start. And many others but all have been mentioned.

For me, a few of my "won't buy" features:

1.) Vehicle with Start/Stop
2.) Sunroof
3.) Tablet-Style Infotainment Systems (plastered iPad on your dash look...)
4.) Somewhat another factor of #3, but a lack of physical buttons/switches in which all control is through infotainment.

Otherwise, I'm pretty flexible on other things. But start/stop and the tablet infotainment trend are my big avoidances. Hate them so much.

Dipstickless, 'lifetime fluid' transmissions should be outlawed.
Not really a feature, but... rev hang for emissions purposes.. They can't find some other way to clean up emissions than to mess up engine behavior?

Sure, but nobody except for a tiny handful of people actually fix their own electric handbrakes. Why should they go out of their way and spend MORE money, just to appease a tiny handful of DIY mechanics, when any competent shop will just buy their own tool and go about their business.

I'd be willing to bet that if it's some sort of electronic tool, there's a dongle and a phone app to do it yourself anyway. That stuff doesn't stay secret long at all- you can do most everything with a phone app and a OBD-2 dongle that costs less than the shop tool anyway.

And I'm in agreement with the people who are saying a lot of this is just griping about change; I recall people griping about fuel injection and emissions controls back when I was a boy; nobody gripes about EGR valves, smog pumps or not having a carburetor to adjust any more- it's all shifted to griping about electronics.

I predict that by the time I'm old and grizzled, my peers will probably be griping about the AI running the electric car systems.
What setup cost more money to make, old manual handbrakes or those new fancy electric handbrakes? I bet its the electric handbrake setup that cost a lot more to make. Also those systems dont last as long as old fashioned ones, so consumers will spend more money to replace them at the dealer anyway.

had push button start on a focus titanium now our escape uses keys (same module) all you need to do is bump the key and the starter takes over and completes the start.
Keys are barbaric ,I want to complain to the UN and tell them its a violation of human rights ;).The stop start is a system of keyless entry and a bunch of other convenances, at least on Fords.
I cry every time I get near it ,my wife sighs and rolls her eyes.(big baby)

What setup cost more money to make, old manual handbrakes or those new fancy electric handbrakes? I bet its the electric handbrake setup that cost a lot more to make. Also those systems dont last as long as old fashioned ones, so consumers will spend more money to replace them at the dealer anyway.

I would bet the electronic is cheaper. Consider the handle or pedal, the cable linking that to the setup at the rear, the installation labor cost etc, versus a switch and a wire to a solenoid.

Not really a feature, but... rev hang for emissions purposes.. They can't find some other way to clean up emissions than to mess up engine behavior?
Maybe? I forget if it goes lean when the throttle slams shut, or rich. Want to say it goes dead rich, at least for port injection. So you could have an air pump, with a tank of air, to quickly inject air into the exhaust, so that the cat can do its job. More parts, of course. Or one could go to DI since the a/f mixture should react faster than port injection.

Come to think of it, do DI motors have a problem with rev hang? Seems like they would not need to resort to it.

I would bet the electronic is cheaper. Consider the handle or pedal, the cable linking that to the setup at the rear, the installation labor cost etc, versus a switch and a wire to a solenoid.
If that system is cheaper why doesnt my moms Toyota Yaris Hybrid have one? You need switch, control module, software, wires and rear calipers with motors for electric handbrake system to work. How is that cheaper and less complicated than old fashioned setup?

Stop Start by far a total deal breaker but others would be CVT, sunroof (on a new car), VCM, no dipstick and small tv touch screens. Most of the other things I can live with.

Of all the complaints... I felt bad for you on this one, so here is the remedy

You can find these on ebay and amazon

insert in seat belt clip

View attachment 65194
Of all the compliants this is the only one I felt bad for you sur!
Wow that should be illegal!

I'll have to be a "Ken" and go to amazon and report this :)
- Ken

I haven't tried this lately, but cant you just buckle the belt behind the seat if you are using the truck on a job site ?

Wow that should be illegal!

I'll have to be a "Ken" and go to amazon and report this :)
- Ken

I haven't tried this lately, but cant you just buckle the belt behind the seat if you are using the truck on a job site ?
Look closely at the picture again... ;) 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20210729_074601518_HDR_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210729_074601518_HDR_resize.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210729_074630668_HDR_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210729_074630668_HDR_resize.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 48
LOL at all the stop/starts.

Plastic engine parts that crack (oil filter housing, manifolds, etc).

Electric seats and doors (SLOW).

Electronic controls for things that can be feasible operated manually, like drive by wire, a/c vents, etc. On my wife's van, the electric windows go through the EMC I guess?... because there's a delay, and you can't just "crack" the window. You have to do it up and down until it randomly lands where you want it. There's not a direct connection between the switch and the motor. Seriously, this is like some sort of convoluted de-evolution of mankind.

Maybe? I forget if it goes lean when the throttle slams shut, or rich. Want to say it goes dead rich, at least for port injection. So you could have an air pump, with a tank of air, to quickly inject air into the exhaust, so that the cat can do its job. More parts, of course. Or one could go to DI since the a/f mixture should react faster than port injection.

Come to think of it, do DI motors have a problem with rev hang? Seems like they would not need to resort to it.
My Focus ST (DI) did it too, but my 3.7 Mustang (PI) is the worst I've ever seen.

Back