Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

Hyundai’s stupid system that disables throttle input when braking with the left foot. Can’t see towing or loading up, or loading onto a trailer a Hyundai in a hilly place with that system.

That's a regulation since ~2010(?).

I guess Ford ignored it. I throttle and brake my Mustang every time I put it on ramps.
My VW had it, but I had 3 or 4 seconds before it would cut throttle. Didn't bother me though, but I recall it bothering others.

Anything "automatic" (except for the transmission... though my "next" car should have a manual)
- auto power windows
- auto climate control
- etc.

To me I do not like fake engine sound or CVT faking stepped transmission behavior. I also do not like convertible, sun / moon roof but those aren't really anything new. I do not like CUV / SUV with fake bumper that will not protect any crash and you need to pay big money to have the whole rear hatch replaced.

To me growing up in 90s I think most older than 90s car ugly, I'd rather have a boring bland modern car than those flashy old styled car any day but that's just my preference.

I don't mind those electronics if they throw them in for free but I won't pay to upgrade to them.

17 years of start/stop in the prius.... no issues. :whistle:

People often confuse a bad idea with an idea implemented badly.
This is usually when marketing meets accounting without engineering. Back in the 90s we had a lot of debates between domestic vs Japanese for the same price, most people who prefer domestic like the gadgets they throw in for free that Japanese only reserve for the higher end trim for more. The fully loaded cheaply build domestic lasted about 100k less than the econobox Japanese before they hit junkyard for non-accident non-corrosion reason.

I remember driving a college owned Astro with only 60k and the interior door panel push pins already broke off, and the panels would vibrate on the freeway, at 60k. My friend told me "it is a van, don't expect too much"..... I expect things not to break though, not a luxury demand even in 90s for a 60k mile van.....

CVT transmissions and most automatics.

Give mea a cheap car with stick shift, a decent engine, power windows, power door locks, A/C, and I'm happy. Does anyone still make cheap cars like that?

CHEAP? probably not in the US, but for performance car they still do stick. Maybe you need to buy at least a Miata if you want cheapish car that has power everything and manual.

CHEAP? probably not in the US, but for performance car they still do stick. Maybe you need to buy at least a Miata if you want cheapish car that has power everything and manual.

The Miata is expensive. I was thinking of a cheap Civic with a stick, or a Toyota / Hyundai sedan, or something similar.

Ideally, a hot hatch, or a metallic-brown station wagon with a four-banger turbo, 6-speed manual, and rear wheel drive. ;)

One more to add here is the way many new cars are connected to the cloud - I'm not a big fan of the car manufacturers (and pehaps others) having the capability to know where my car is and under what conditions it's being operated.
There are always 2 sides of a coin.

You can let the manufacturer check if something is wrong and ask you to bring it in for repair early, or you can have them limit your warranty so you cannot have a longer warranty / extended warranty. Also if you make it hard for manufacturer to protect the engine (i.e. voiding warranty on a track) then they would likely not build something (i.e. high performance version or fuel efficient version of something).

Remember: without Lojack or breath analyzer a lot of the people would end up not getting a car loan or insurance to drive again. Keep complaining, and you will get what you want, and what you don't want.

I am against any feature that does the driving for you: lane departure warning, automatic braking systems, etc. Too many fair drivers that rely on crutches to keep them alive, often they go from fair drivers to bad drivers just because they are not in control. Where is Darwin when you need him lol. If you can't or won't be a safe driver and pay attention to the road, *you* should pay higher insurance premiums, not the rest of us.
If your daughter was hit by a bad driver that wasn't protected by nanny then you might have a different opinion.

Seriously, we have everyone in the US buying massive weight suvs and crew cabs to protect themselves but not the other cars driver passengers, and people never bat an eye, but then complain about electronics nanny that really works protecting both sides. I don't get it.

I remember driving a college owned Astro with only 60k and the interior door panel push pins already broke off, and the panels would vibrate on the freeway, at 60k. My friend told me "it is a van, don't expect too much"..... I expect things not to break though, not a luxury demand even in 90s for a 60k mile van

I know someone who owned a Astro. He had the habit of grabbing the steering wheel when he got into the van. About 4 years of that and one day the steering wheel broke off.

I guess better then than on the freeway somewhere. That Astro was a rattletrap too.

If your daughter was hit by a bad driver that wasn't protected by nanny then you might have a different opinion.

Seriously, we have everyone in the US buying massive weight suvs and crew cabs to protect themselves but not the other cars driver passengers, and people never bat an eye, but then complain about electronics nanny that really works protecting both sides. I don't get it.
I'm not sure what you mean by protecting. My wifes mazda has this thing on the outside mirrors that lights up when another vehicle is beside you. Its distracting at night and a bit dangerous. I already know a car is beside me as i use my mirrors, and turn my head. But when it lights up, it gets my attention off the road in front of me, as i don't know if it is the nanny light or a side marker light of a car that is further up on my side than i thought. In town its contantly lighting up and its distracting when you are not looking to change lanes.

Plus with that, people get lazy and don't bother looking, the light thing will warn me. Like the people backing out of spaces in the parking lot, looking at the dash camera and never turning their head to see whats beside or behind them. Hoping the camera shows everything.

Its my wifes car so i'll leave it alone, but if on my next truck, if i can't turn that off, the corner of each mirror will get some silver or gray plasti-dip painted over the light up corners.

Last edited:
I know someone who owned a Astro. He had the habit of grabbing the steering wheel when he got into the van. About 4 years of that and one day the steering wheel broke off.

I guess better then than on the freeway somewhere. That Astro was a rattletrap too.
I know someone who had an “Astro” and it was perfectly fine … my wife did …

I know we had a similar thread … and the vehicles in our driveway are loaded with features/options … but NO - nothing comes close to annoying me like stop/start. My 2020 Jeep can’t stay running two seconds at a stop sign on country road. That’s a far cry from sitting at a complicated intersection in Houston … whereas it takes two light changes before you are back going again …

After cutting a tree down … and trying to keep it off my roof … I’ll add another … Auto Park …
I’m in R trying to control the tree and vehicle will not move … Fortunately I have a pretty fast winch and had the control in my hand …

Don’t have it on my 17 Frontier, 15 Rogue, didn’t have it on my 14 Fusion, just had a rental F-150 that didn’t have it.
Oh interesting, I thought it was a regulation after the Toyota's gas-pedal stuff in the late 2000s. It looks like there's newer news about the previous administration removing that regulation that was 'proposed'.

Back