Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

I am against any feature that does the driving for you: lane departure warning, automatic braking systems, etc. Too many fair drivers that rely on crutches to keep them alive, often they go from fair drivers to bad drivers just because they are not in control. Where is Darwin when you need him lol. If you can't or won't be a safe driver and pay attention to the road, *you* should pay higher insurance premiums, not the rest of us.

All that is required is to have a piston in the optimal position, add some fuel and ignite it.

The transmission also has to be modified to start in gear, which isn't normal for a automatic. And there's other design changes that are required.

I'm fully against it and will never have a vehicle with it if I can help it. Just more tech to pay for that I do not want, do not need, think is stupid, and it's environmentally counter-productive.

The transmission also has to be modified to start in gear, which isn't normal for a automatic. And there's other design changes that are required.

I'm fully against it and will never have a vehicle with it if I can help it. Just more tech to pay for that I do not want, do not need, think is stupid, and it's environmentally counter-productive.
Have you seen the eCVT that Toyota uses?

If one compares the computers and associated computerized sensors to the mechanical workings of yesteryear it will be obvious that the technology of today is much better.

But, some still want a distributor with the associated parts that wore out and needed replacement on a regular basis thus the tuneup. Hand crank windows that were hard to crank or needed a hand on the glass to pull up or keep the glass in line inside the frame. Seat upholstery that cracked and had springs that poked up and poked people.

Many more examples but that’s enough for this thread. Next week there will be another one to take its place.

Led headlights, maybe they'd be alright if they used a color temperature similar and limited the brightness to the majority of cars on the road running old school headlights, Brighter daylight-blue color temperature bulbs don't belong in low beam applications, they just blind everyone else on the road.

Stop-Start. I will NOT buy a car that this can't be easily disabled.
Agreed. I dislike it. Also, the AC suffers when the engine shuts off, as the blower reduces speed to a whisper when the engine is off. Here in South Florida, that's not ideal. Especially when I am hot and want full blast AC. Yes, I understand the AC system is configured a bit differently to remain a bit cool when the engine is not running. But I WANT COLD FULL BLAST AIR.

And engine wear also, in my understanding, comes at startup. Perhaps not as much if it's already warm and lubricated. But let's imagine the engine wears out twice as fast. What is the environmental impact of engines wearing out prematurely?
Seems most cars are trooping past 200k w/o issue. Or perhaps I should limit to saying that the cylinder bores are just fine. [Let's ignore the low tension oil ring problems that plague some engines, not all engines are prone to becoming oil burners.] Timing chains and transmissions and the rest are not getting worn by frequent start/stops from my understanding.

So in my head, I don't see a wear problem here. Engines last long enough it seems, at least in the rustbelt it's the rest of the car that gives up first.

Time to future proof my volkswagen for any possible emission tests :

download.jpg
This should be the equivalent to my 2.0 engine.

I will also give it futuristic looks:

download.jpg

Ill just weld and screw in some sheet metal.

Push button start it drives me crazy I will go to get in a car at work and be feeling for the key only to find a button. They fail a lot too I was talking to one of our Subaru techs about it today he said he would not own anything with it for nothing I told him I agree. I’ve replaced way too many to like them.

Start stop don’t care for that either especially pulling on to or trying to line up on the lift.

Pretty much anything made within the last 10 years or so lol. As a mechanic it keeps my bank account high but my anger high too lol when I have to fix the stuff. Let’s not forget the looks new cars look absolutely terrible. I think by far the worst are the new Chevy pick ups and anything Tesla and the Kia Soul, Nissan Leaf and Juke and Prius.

If one compares the computers and associated computerized sensors to the mechanical workings of yesteryear it will be obvious that the technology of today is much better.

But, some still want a distributor with the associated parts that wore out and needed replacement on a regular basis thus the tuneup. Hand crank windows that were hard to crank or needed a hand on the glass to pull up or keep the glass in line inside the frame. Seat upholstery that cracked and had springs that poked up and poked people.

Many more examples but that’s enough for this thread. Next week there will be another one to take its place.

Some are improvements, but many are not improvements and make the vehicle worse. Many of the emissions junk is not necessary, adds cost, adds weight, and is very frustrating for consumers if you cannot get a vehicle passed emissions. I'd do away with much of it if I could.

One day, after several trips thru emissions testing, and significant expenses getting stupid O2 sensors fixed, etc. so my already relatively efficient vehicle met some stupid arbitrary bureaucratic standard, I pulled out onto the highway behind a massive diesel truck belching out a cloud of black smoke so much I had to slow and change lanes so that I could breathe; more soot and smoke than my vehicle produces in a year! Emissions nonsense passed by people who think nothing of taking a private jet across the ocean to grab dinner...

You know 10 years ago most cars did not have all this junk they put in the cars today. My car is from 2003 and while it has many electronic parts it still a lot cheaper to fix and maintain than new cars. I red articles about new cars that got minor front end damage, the pricetag to fix that was skyhigh because of the sensors they put in the front bumper. And who say that it cost manufacturers more money to make cars easy to fix? They spend more money making cars harder to fix, requiring special tools to do so and make you as a consumer dependent to a dealer. Electric handbrake is good example to that. You need special tools to replace brakes on a car with electric handbrake, not very service frendly for people who might do that themselves.
Sure, but nobody except for a tiny handful of people actually fix their own electric handbrakes. Why should they go out of their way and spend MORE money, just to appease a tiny handful of DIY mechanics, when any competent shop will just buy their own tool and go about their business.

I'd be willing to bet that if it's some sort of electronic tool, there's a dongle and a phone app to do it yourself anyway. That stuff doesn't stay secret long at all- you can do most everything with a phone app and a OBD-2 dongle that costs less than the shop tool anyway.

And I'm in agreement with the people who are saying a lot of this is just griping about change; I recall people griping about fuel injection and emissions controls back when I was a boy; nobody gripes about EGR valves, smog pumps or not having a carburetor to adjust any more- it's all shifted to griping about electronics.

I predict that by the time I'm old and grizzled, my peers will probably be griping about the AI running the electric car systems.

One day, after several trips thru emissions testing, and significant expenses getting stupid O2 sensors fixed, etc. so my already relatively efficient vehicle met some stupid arbitrary bureaucratic standard, I pulled out onto the highway behind a massive diesel truck belching out a cloud of black smoke so much I had to slow and change lanes so that I could breathe; more soot and smoke than my vehicle produces in a year! Emissions nonsense passed by people who think nothing of taking a private jet across the ocean to grab dinner...
I understand your point but you do realize you negated yourself? You complained about "his" emissions but you think you should be exempt because it's too much work to keep a car in good running order?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my oldest car is now emissions exempt and I won't have to worry about that light, but I sure do like me some good clean air. Especially right now at the height of allergy season (I wake up and oh thank god for work from home, more often than not the first two hours of the day I can't remember my name).

Back