Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

I’m waiting to see. We just got the wife’s car and I always thought I would hate CVT, start/stop and the plethora of LCD’s. I’m still not sold on touchscreens (fine with parked) and I suspect I would love to have an old school manual everything car in the garage for driving around occasionally, but it’s still a nice car. I guess I should know in 10 years time if it holds up or not.

Oh: this has one of those spin on oil filters. That seems like a step backwards. I find it such a pain to cut open one—the cartridges are of course much easier to inspect.

I guess the underside cladding is annoying. Good for mpg, maybe even good to keep corrosive salt away? But in the way when underneath all the same.

I wouldn't buy a new vehicle with the stop start feature. I don't like sunroofs. One touch power window buttons annoy me. The electronic nannies we might as well get used to. They're on every truck our company buys and I'm sure they will be mandated on cars.

GDI only engine, much greater fun try to get intake deposit off;
Non-hybrid start stop, 12v system handle that poorly;
Auto-hold, I crash because of this.
Any new air condition design that can't blow fresh air on my face : )

Stop-Start. I will NOT buy a car that this can't be easily disabled.

All other features, I'll take it.
I know we had a similar thread … and the vehicles in our driveway are loaded with features/options … but NO - nothing comes close to annoying me like stop/start. My 2020 Jeep can’t stay running two seconds at a stop sign on country road. That’s a far cry from sitting at a complicated intersection in Houston … whereas it takes two light changes before you are back going again …

• Auto Start / Stop in any vehicle is a nightmare
  • Tablet lookalike infotainment system - lazy design
  • Integrated climate control functions into the infotainment system - you're out of heat / air con if it quits working
  • Electronic parking brake - if it breaks and it's in the locked position you're SOL
  • Don't spill your coffee on your rotary style shifter (or buttons) or you're SOL
  • Lane keep assist - it's worthless and can get you into an accident on some roads
  • Radar cruise control - worthless and a nightmare to drive with, but in some vehicles you're forced to pay for it
  • A bottle of slime instead of a spare tire - not even a feature
  • Modern AWD systems in many vehicles is just an afterthought and you're better off spending the money on winter tires
  • Tailgate and storage gimmicks on some pickup trucks
  • The lack of auto up/down window buttons on some vehicles unless you go for a higher trim - I mean, common.

Last edited:
CVTs. Drove a rental that had one, did not like it.

Cylinder deactivation that hasn't had the issues sorted out.

Haven't experienced start/stop yet, but I think that would be annoying.

TPMS that can't be re-trained without special tools if you rotate the tires.

Taking the dipstick off the transmission so you have to keep the engine running as you slowly fill it from a long funnel until it runs out while you need a helper to watch.

Troublesome variable valve timing systems with timing chains that are destined to wear out. My Pilot might have a timing belt I'm not crazy about, but I don't have to remove the engine to replace it.

This new fancy climate control where you set the temperature and the system does the rest is full of complications and unnecessary advantages. Go back 60 years and you had the perfect simple system.

Hot outside? Roll down the window.

Very hot outside? Swing open the wing vents so you get that blast of air directly.

Extremely hot outside? Reach under the dashboard and find the lever for the cowl vent. Open that up. The ultimate way of keeping cool.

Sarcasm😜

Automatic speed control. The MB can read the speed limit signs and sets the speed to it EXACTLY. Who drives like that?
Lane keep assist, I never use it. But it does have lane centering, which I do use. Too many people getting hit on bicycles down here....IN THE BIKE LANE!
They even ran over the sheriff (Mike Chitwood) riding his bicycle in 2020. He survived, and they caught the driver, even though it was a hit and run.

LOL and you all paid for those things you don't like??? ;)
I will say I liked and then did not like my BOSE stereo now I remedied that. I did pay extra for a model that had it but technically I am still using part of the system.

The fact is they are becoming hard to fix by yourself. Too much electronic stuff stuffed in the front of the car, cost a lot to fix or replace etc. Heck you even need special tools to fix brakes on cars with electronic handbrakes.

Back