Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

You know 10 years ago most cars did not have all this junk they put in the cars today. My car is from 2003 and while it has many electronic parts it still a lot cheaper to fix and maintain than new cars. I red articles about new cars that got minor front end damage, the pricetag to fix that was skyhigh because of the sensors they put in the front bumper. And who say that it cost manufacturers more money to make cars easy to fix? They spend more money making cars harder to fix, requiring special tools to do so and make you as a consumer dependent to a dealer. Electric handbrake is good example to that. You need special tools to replace brakes on a car with electric handbrake, not very service frendly for people who might do that themselves.

What special tools?

My dad said the same thing about 1970’s automobiles compared to the 50’s and 60’s and every generation keeps perpetuating this. In 2030 people here will be complaining about the technology compared to today when it was simple.

I don’t mind stop start. I’ve had it on my work trucks for years, and now my wife’s SUV has it. No concerns.

Some vehicles are smoother with it for sure - the difference between the ecoboosts and the coyote stop start in the F-150 is noticeable, but neither is obnoxious.

The stopstart on my wife’s 2.0T VW Atlas is barely noticeable. To the point I hardly even notice the engine is running.

You old guys will get used to it, just like seatbelts.

these are car features I am familiar with.

Low profile tires.
Not being able to use NAV while driving (with passenger)
Constant seat belt ding.
Power/Econ settings.
Non manually adjustable max sound. If I paid for the super wattage stereo, I don’t want it limited in as far as how loud it goes.
Start-stop.
No heated rear seat. Passengers need love too.
Only black or grey interiors.
Did I say low profile tires?

these are car features I am familiar with.

Low profile tires.
Not being able to use NAV while driving (with passenger)
Constant seat belt ding.
Power/Econ settings.
Non manually adjustable max sound. If I paid for the super wattage stereo, I don’t want it limited in as far as how loud it goes.
Start-stop.
No heated rear seat. Passengers need love too.
Only black or grey interiors.
Did I say low profile tires?
You can't use the Navigation system while driving? Don't you mean enter in a Navigation destination while driving?

I could do that on my old 2016 VW, Factory Nav and CarPlay (but not android auto)

Traction control that cannot be FULLY disabled. Just TRY to get up my driveway hill in the Winter
with only FWD and snowtires with traction control - It ain't happening!
Busy Touch Screens mounted like a 79 dollar tablet on top of the dash.
Lack of KNOBS for heater ventilation and Alpha Charlie ... and radio
Undersized, short lived rear Disc Brake Pads - as found on most every Japanese car
Hard to clear Windshield Cowl area in Winter snow and slush conditions
ABS and mushy, long travel Brakes
Dead, rubbery EP steering - as found on most every Pass Car and CUV these days
Poorly designed Steering Wheel rim shape. Where is a proper flat or cove on the front face to accommodate hand bones?
Undersized Seats designed for 105lb little girls.
Molded plastic front end that disappears after a crash. Where did my car go?!
Engine Undertray Can't change oil without undoing 23 fasteners - and I just broke two and lost one!
Anti roll back feature that doesn't work and is dangerous in certain advanced driving situations.
The kids are alright - leave Nanny at home!
Terminal understeer with a hesitancy to turn in. You cant drive, and we wont let you!
Poor Body Roll Control; 15 degree list to starboard around corners. engines ahead 1/2!
Terrible Sounding Radio It doesn't take much $$ for decent sound, guys!
No bottom end Torque. Where's the Beef?!
10-speed Automatic Transmissions. If six gears won't do it, you need a bigger or better engine, buddy!
The missing Manual Transmission option in sporty cars. Put your phone down and drive, dope!
Steering Wheel mounted too high. Airbag position before driving control and comfort at the helm
100 Buttons on the steering wheel. Really?
Undersized Door Storage that wont take a one litre plastic bottle. I'm thirsty, where is my canteen?
Ugly Rubbermaid Dashboard: Where have all the good materials gone?

I better stop here .... Ken
Anti-roll back... that's what the left pedal is for (on automatic transmissions), on 3-pedal vehicles, that's the middle pedal. It was basic skill to manage 3 pedals when starting from up an steep incline, or cheat with the hand brake, but with the advent of electronic parking brakes, cheating with hand brakes became obsolete

Manual transmissions people have enough trouble with 3 pedals. Some electric car manufacturers think 2 pedals is too much hassle, so they combine automatic braking with the go-pedal, so you just need 1 pedal to operate. Some car manufacturers know people can't rev match on a 3-pedal car, so they incorporate automatic rev-matching on manual transmissions (such as Nissan and Toyota).

You can't use the Navigation system while driving? Don't you mean enter in a Navigation destination while driving?

I could do that on my old 2016 VW, Factory Nav and CarPlay (but not android auto)
Correct, entering while driving. If I’m on, say, a hiway, and suddenly need directions to a restaurant or what not, I can’t just plug it in on the go and keep rolling. I end up using my phone. Instead.

* Cars turning off when stopped at intersections. This must be really bad on the starter, fuel economy, and engine wear.
This. Although I'm not sure I agree with your comment that it is bad for fuel economy. I believe multiple studies have shown that it does improve fuel economy slightly, especially in stop and go traffic.

We had this feature on a rental not too long ago and we did get a little used to it after a week. We also figured how to game the system. On the RAV4, it only kicks in if you hold the brake pedal down hard. If you feather it just enough to come to a stop, it won't kick on. Also, if you turn on Sport mode, it will disable stop-start outright. There is no other way to permanently disable it that we could find.

This. Although I'm not sure I agree with your comment that it is bad for fuel economy. I believe multiple studies have shown that it does improve fuel economy slightly, especially in stop and go traffic.

We had this feature on a rental not too long ago and we did get a little used to it after a week. We also figured how to game the system. On the RAV4, it only kicks in if you hold the brake pedal down hard. If you feather it just enough to come to a stop, it won't kick on. Also, if you turn on Sport mode, it will disable stop-start outright. There is no other way to permanently disable it that we could find.
Now that I drive a hybrid, I don't mind at all.

What special tools?

My dad said the same thing about 1970’s automobiles compared to the 50’s and 60’s and every generation keeps perpetuating this. In 2030 people here will be complaining about the technology compared to today when it was simple.
For many vehicles that have electronic parking brake you need special tool to squeeze back the piston in the rear caliper when you change the brake pads. Also know that many european cars need a diagnostic tool hooked up in order to reset the calipers when the pads are changed. That kind of special tool mate.

What special tools?

I have over$30,000 current insured value (this means that many have depreciated because of age) of my personal automotive tools. At least $10,000 are specialize for vehicle's manufactured from 1995 and newer! I am pretty sure I am under estimating what I spent in tools but this is crazy amount as it is.

I will say I just say "NO" to working on any Tesla.. lol

I grabbed these because most now have them in their DIY tool box Here is a simple brake tool that was not around or needed in 70's or older :)
The tool boxes in the picture are likely less then 1/2 of my tool collection and each boxed is completely full.

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_114115799_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210728_114115799_resize.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210728_114132269_resize.jpg
    IMG_20210728_114132269_resize.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

I'm skeptical of any alleged fuel saving or pollution reduction of start stop. It seems once again the bean counters only focus on the tailpipe, but forget the entire ecosystem involved. Maybe you save a teaspoon of gas on a daily commute with start/stop. Compare that savings against the added fuel/oil/energy used in:
* Production of the extra components.
* The highly complex system is inherently more parts, and therefore inherently more prone to fail. Failure means an extra trip to the auto mechanic, which for most people means getting the car there, sometimes a tow truck, then sometimes a taxi home, then another taxi to the shop when the repairs are made, and a final trip home. Let's say the mechanic is 5 miles away. That's 4 extra 5 mile trips, or 20 more miles.
* The mechanic needs to buy more parts, manufactured and transported with energy.
* The car owner perhaps has to work an extra shift at work to pay for the expensive repairs, so another drive to and from work that was otherwise unnecessary.
* How about the auto mechanic who has to buy more specialty tools, manufactured with energy and resources, to work on this new system? And has to attend a new training seminar to get certified to work on this system, and that requires traveling to a nearby town to get the certification. Is that factored?

This also applies to other parts designed around auto stop/start including the brakes, the transmission, the engine, etc. So it impacts much of the expensive mechanical and electrical car parts. This all sounds like many very expensive complicated additional points of failure. No thanks.

Has the teaspoon of fuel saved before balanced out this?

And, in my understanding, starters have a finite life. Starting a car an extra 50 times daily is going to wear it out faster. If the solution is just a more robust starter, then I'd suggest those more robust starters should be on all cars. And you need a starter 50x more robust, for instance, on one start/stop 50 extra times daily.

And engine wear also, in my understanding, comes at startup. Perhaps not as much if it's already warm and lubricated. But let's imagine the engine wears out twice as fast. What is the environmental impact of engines wearing out prematurely?

Last edited:
The 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner has literally nothing in terms of options y'all have talked about (minus 4x4 extras), which is why I bought it.

Let's see, where do I begin?

*Let's start with the absolute deal-breakers:
Turbos
Direct injection
CVTs
Cylinder deactivation
Collision avoidance with automatic brakes
Less than 4 cylinders
No cylinders at all (electric)
Large touch screens that control EVERYTHING (looking at you RAM)
Any touch screen that controls A/C. Knobs or physical buttons, no exceptions.
Start-stop (even if it can be disabled)
Lane keep assist/lane centering (that can't be shut off)
Any kind of assisted steering
Adaptive cruise control (that can't be shut off)
Push button start
Automatic high beams
Push button/dial gear selector
Driver drowsiness detector
What GMBoy said about opening you door and it goes into park (didn't know this was a thing)

*The non-deal-breakers but a large roll of the eyes:
Back-up warnings
Adaptive cruise (which can be disabled - because I still paid for it)
Lane keep assist (which can be disabled - because I still paid for it)
Daytime running lights/auto lights
Seat belt warning chimes that go off when you're going under 10mph in a parking lot but continue to be obnoxious *even in park* (looking at you Hyundai)
Capless gas tanks
"Sealed" transmissions
"ECO/ECON" modes (I've used on several cars with worse off results than non-eco)
Non-serviceable fuel filters (almost every car within the last 20 years)
Heads-up displays
Cars that play engine revving audio through the speakers because they're too anemic

Indifferent opinion:
Electric steering
Blind spot detection

And the things I used to dislike that have won me over:
A display larger than two inches (but smaller than 7")
Backup cameras (goes hand in hand with the display)
Steering wheel control buttons (A/C, radio, menus, cruise)
*Customizable* maintenance minder settings (Hyundai, probably others)
Oil life monitor (I don't rely on it, but it's reassurance)
TPMS sensors that read individual tires with semi real-time pressures
Auto-manual control when done properly (Hyundai)

...just to name a few.

Can I offer you a 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner (not mine!)? They literally have barely any of this and mostly none of it. It's like a straightbody GM truck from the '80's.

And, in my understanding, starters have a finite life. Starting a car an extra 50 times daily is going to wear it out faster. If the solution is just a more robust starter, then I'd suggest those more robust starters should be on all cars. And you need a starter 50x more robust, for instance, on one start/stop 50 extra times daily.

What if the stop/start system doesn’t use the starter?

Back