Favorite Oil Brand for OPE

Could someone help me out here..is "OPE" Outdoor-Power-Equipment? Also, and changing the subject, I bought a new mower today with the 4.4-HP Honda engine -- could someone tell me if 5W20 Full Synth. would be ok to run in it, or is the "20" to light/thin, please? The Owners Manual simply says that generally "10W30" is suitable and works best for a wide-variety of conditions.

Thanks in advance!
You should follow the owner's manual. I cannot think of a piece of OPE that I would consider running a 5w-20 oil in. Even a snow blower calls for 5w-30. Air cooled engines run hotter than the one in your car and require higher viscosity oils to compensate for this. The "30" in the designation of your recommended oil refers to kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees Celsius (KV100). That's great for a water cooled automobile engines, but an air cooled OPE engine can run much hotter. If you continue to frequent this forum you will hear a lot about HTHS viscosity, or the viscosity measured at 150 degrees C.

You should follow the owner's manual. I cannot think of a piece of OPE that I would consider running a 5w-20 oil in. Even a snow blower calls for 5w-30. Air cooled engines run hotter than the one in your car and require higher viscosity oils to compensate for this. The "30" in the designation of your recommended oil refers to kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees Celsius (KV100). That's great for a water cooled automobile engines, but an air cooled OPE engine can run much hotter. If you continue to frequent this forum you will hear a lot about HTHS viscosity, or the viscosity measured at 150 degrees C.

It's been noticeable how since I've switched from the RP HMX 5w30 to the Amsoil 0w40 how much cooler the engine is running even though I have no evidence 😂 I wish now I would've used a temp gun and measured the difference in the 2 weights of oils,oh well.

Last edited:
My Kohler 7000 series (725cc) manual says to run the break in oil for 10 hours, then drain and fill with 10w-30 conventional. It specifically says not to use syn or semi-syn.

I put in Ace Hardware brand 10w-30. I don't know who makes it. It has the API seal, SN, takes 2 quarts. I have run that for about 20 hours now over this year and last year. When I check the oil, it looks new. No consumption, no nothing.

Every 50 hours I'll put in "Whatever's Cheapest" brand 10w-30 conventional, Chevron or whatever. I am confident the deck and zero turn hydraulics will wear out long before the motor does.

Could someone help me out here..is "OPE" Outdoor-Power-Equipment? Also, and changing the subject, I bought a new mower today with the 4.4-HP Honda engine -- could someone tell me if 5W20 Full Synth. would be ok to run in it, or is the "20" to light/thin, please? The Owners Manual simply says that generally "10W30" is suitable and works best for a wide-variety of conditions.

Thanks in advance!
My honda mower T6 5W40

The left over oil from my cars oil changes is my favorite. My mower currently has a mix of; 5w-30 Shell Rotella Gas truck, 10w-40 Quaker state HM, and 15w-40 Mobil Delvac.
Sounds like you're running about a 10w-37.5 ... approximately!

My favorite brand of OPE oil is Shelf... as in whatever I have on the shelf.
Yeah, I ran my ancient 3.5hp B&S tiller on 5W20 syn for one or two seasons, as that was the only 5l jug that was open and conveniently had 3/4 of a quart left in it. It only gets used for a couple hours a year, and does get fairly hot, but it did its few tanks of gas duty for the seasons. Now it has some 15W40 left over from my last tractor change in it I believe.

IMG_6386.jpeg

Using 10w-30 and 5w-30 Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn. It was a 12 qt gift from Amazon It was supposed to be a different brand.

Back