Failure of using fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If the oil pan drain plug is the lowest point on you 4X4 you have problems.

Same deal on my Audi (and the G37) as your vehicle. If I had been able to damage the Fumoto by driving over something, the Fumoto would have been the least of my worries.

spasm3: On some vehicles, it works great. With the Audi, given the upside down filter orientation, well, I'd get dirty, anyhow. The G37 I can do without gloves completely. The filter is horizontal, with the base end at a tiny downward can't, so where I grip stays bone dry. With the Fumoto, that seals the deal.

OP got a break from the BITOG.. For me, Fumoto has been the best thing since icecream, caviar and champagne. On a bunch of vehicles for many, many miles. From Civics to Land Cruisers with over 30 Panthers in between.. few million miles compound. And yes, we reused them. Btw, a Panther and an old Civic used the same 106 model. no safety clips were needed in my case.

Where the off-roaders are concerned, if you have stuff whacking your oil pan hard enough to rip out a Fumoto valve, you need to invest in a skid plate badly. Oil pans are not invincible either.

I especially love my valves on my forklifts, because I can drain their pans without lifting them. Lifting a 15,000 lb. machine with low clearance is a major PITA.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
It would seem that making a modification to something like this increases the overall risk of a failure in the part which in this case could result in a catastrophic failure of the engine.

How much oil would be left in the pan with zero modifications? Less than a pint? Perfectionism aside, this seems to be a solution to a non-existent problem, no?

agree

my doctor said its hard to treat diseases that have no symptoms

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
In a vehicle well maintained from new i see no issue with it. In a used vehicle, I'd worry about sludge or debris not going through the smaller opening of a fumoto.

We removed them from our fleet vehicles due to the very slow drain causing sludgy buildup in the pan. The stock plug offers a fast flushing drain that carries out more stuff. This problem requires years to show itself, and few of us have ever examined the inside of the oil pan!

They are still used on blowers, Cat pumps, and my personal cars. A great product for most folks...

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I just can't see the advantage on the average car. You have to either wear gloves or get your hands dirty changing the filter, so the valve really does not keep your hands clean.

Some folks have the filter on top of their engines... no mess. Some folks have vehicles that only require a filter change every other oil change. Some folks go 2 years between filter changes due to low miles but change the oil every year. If you are doing regular fluid changes with a slushbox transmission, it is extremely helpful.

Now, in my MR2 with the areopan or diaper, I have to remove over a half dozen screws, several plastic fasteners, with 6 inches of clearance when jacked up. So, one less thing to worry about is a perk so I have bought the valve but have not installed it. However, the PITA oil filer is a different story.

Your fears are unwarranted my friends. My oil pan is far up above my front crossmember and skid plate. If the oil pan drain plug is the lowest point on you 4X4 you have problems.

Perhaps, but I'll play it on the safe side.
So is mine, but that doesn't make the valve invulnerable.
Not applicable.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why would you even bother trying to replace something as foolproof and easy to use as a drain plug with some sort of valve?

A few reasons:

If you need a new crush washer each time, with Fumoto you can save the cost.
No more worries about cross threading the oil plug, as the valve stays in and never comes out.
No more oil leaks from the drain plug.
No more rubber gloves needed, just flip the valve open.
No more hunting for the right size wrench to fit the oil plug,
Selling your car? Fumoto comes out and drain plug goes back in.

Let's examine your reasons for the Fumoto valve:

Quote:

A Fumoto valve is about $27, a bag of 100 crush washers is about $10. Tell me again how the Fumoto valve saves money?

Quote:
No more worries about cross threading the oil plug, as the valve stays in and never comes out.

Absurd, I've been changing oil on my vehicles for years and never cross threaded a drain plug, people need to stop putting them in with an impact wrench. I guess Fumoto should make a filter for fear of cross threading the oil filter on.

Quote:
No more oil leaks from the drain plug.

With bag of crush washers that is less expensive than a Fumoto valve, problem solved.

Quote:
No more rubber gloves needed, just flip the valve open.

A valid reason, good point.

Quote:
No more hunting for the right size wrench to fit the oil plug,

I know what size wrench fits my vehicle's drain plug.

Quote:
Selling your car? Fumoto comes out and drain plug goes back in.

Unless you buy the same make of car, chances are the valve will not fit your new car.

I am not saying a Fumoto valve is a bad idea, just that it is not the money saver people make it out to be.

Never said it was a cost saver...and 100 BMW crush washers for $10? Get real....glad you never cross threaded a drain plug; you're a real pro!! Read all the threads on bitog of those who have this problem. Also when you sell the car the Fumoto comes out so cost is zero...quality is so high you can pass it to your children.

Every Fumoto thread the owners love them and those who don't own one hate them...what does that tell you?

You did say:

Quote:

There is nothing magical about BMW drain plug gaskets. IIRC, when you buy a Mann canister filter for a BMW, it comes with a drain plug gasket.

I worked in the quick lube industry for years and never cross threaded a drain plug. I had to fix quite a few cross threaded drain plugs with a tap from previous oil changes. I do not claim to be a pro, but if reasonable care is taken, cross threading a drain plug should be a rarity.

So Fumoto valves are heirlooms?

I neither love or hate Fumoto valves, I just don't think they are the cat's meow that people make them out to be.

10 million fumoto sold, zero failures from obstacle contact, valves popping open, or leaking, but still we need to worry, and play it safe..but I totally understand ...Fumotos are cheap, engines are not.

10 million fumoto sold, zero failures from obstacle contact, valves popping open, or leaking, but still we need to worry, and play it safe..but I totally understand ...Fumotos are cheap, engines are not.

Exactly. Like I said earlier I love it on the Enclave it's just not necessary on my F150. In fact I would say that if not for the Fumoto I wouldn't even change the oil in the Enclave. It's so messy I'd just let someone else do the oil changes.

Quote:

I neither love or hate Fumoto valves, I just don't think they are the cat's meow that people make them out to be.

They really are in certain applications if you don't have a lift in the garage.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that those who do not see the need for a Fumoto, just got to grind on those who do. It is not a right/wrong argument here, if you do not see the need, then move on.

I've grown to love them. I've serviced too many different vehicles with too many different drain plug sizes over the years to remember any of them.
wink.gif
And I've made way too many messes to ignore things that can improve that matter.

I once installed a fumoto and went driving in some long grass. did a few turns, which must have undone the lever... only by the skin of my teeth did i notice something was wrong when i parked up and could smell hot oil... crawled under and had to do it back up. took it off that very day. very lucky i did not get stuck with an empty sump many many miles out of town.

i dont get hot the fumoto can get open on its own by grass:
4il8xg.jpg

looks quite secure to me.
im guessing this is not a probel at all on cars that have undertrays.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
i dont get hot the fumoto can get open on its own by grass:

looks quite secure to me.
im guessing this is not a probel at all on cars that have undertrays.

That black locking tap is a recent thing. Probably 99% of Fumoto's have been sold without a secondary locking device.

Still though, without the secondary locking device, the valve lever actuation is two fold of having to be lift vertically out of detent and then moved horizontally. Even then, odds are astronomical in normal use for that to happen.

Reports of inadvertent valve actuation are almost like unicorn sightings. Most times it is people parroting the same one or two internet stories they have heard with most never actually experiencing or seeing one for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back