F150 EB 2.7 vs EB 3.5 vs V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coworker of mine is looking for a replacement F150. His looking at 2015-2017,maybe 2018. Are the Ecoboost engines reliable? If you had to get one which one would you get Ecoboost 2.7, Ecoboost 3.5 or the NA 5.0 V8?

I have the 2.7. From a performance standpoint it's fine. Fuel mileage is great. If you like V8 noises though like I do, it's awful Like every 6 cylinder, it sounds like a frog f.a.rting with any kind of exhaust.

Correct answer is any of the above. Maintenance record and non-accident vehicle is probably most important. I went 2015 Lariat 5.0. 5 years old for me now with only 39k. Only mechanical issue was (still haven't fixed it) AC belt squeals. I had a warranty fix for a TSP regarding cooled seats and passenger door that didn't close the way it should when really cold/frozen. All fixed.

I'd say heavy towing and towing often 3.5 probably has a slight edge. 3.5 gets it's torque much lower and 5.0 higher end of the rpm's. I love the 6speed trans. If he gets one with the 10speed make sure it has the updated software flash otherwise they can be erratic.

I have all three. The V8, the 3.5EB and the 2.7EB.

The 2.7 is the fastest and the most fun. It's downright amazing with the 10 speed transmission (2018 and up) . The engine sounds great, is rev happy and willingly pulls at low revs. Will tow 3 and a half tons with ease! Even up steep hills. 20-21 mpg. If he gets a 2.7, get the 2018 and up. Sport mode sounds AND feels like a sports car. Really fun.

The 3.5 EB is nearly as fast as the 2.7. However, it sounds (groans) like a UPS truck and is not nearly as much of a pleasure to drive. It makes plenty of power and will cruise along and pull at low RPM all day long. It also tows wonderfully. It is a touch laggy and occasionally lugs a bit. 17-18mpg

The V8 is smoother, more refined feeling and sounds best. It's not as fast, and has nowhere near the mid range torque. However, I prefer the instant response of the V8 when driving like an idiot.... The V8 is still my favorite due to the very refined feel and instant response. 15mpg.

Last edited:
I have the 2.7 in a 2019 and echo what Cujet said about it.

I am currently seeing 20.4 on the mpg readout over about 500 miles (since last trip odometer reset) of suburban and in-city driving, on regular 87 octane fuel. That is not flogging it but not babying it either.

There was a poll of Ford mechanics about which engine would buy for their own personal truck. 90+% said the V8.

Originally Posted by loneryder
There was a poll of Ford mechanics about which engine would buy for their own personal truck. 90+% said the V8.

It was a youtube video of a dealership staffer "interviewing" techs in the service dept. If you believe that dealership service techs are the pinnacle of vehicle repair skill and achievement, then by all means, believe that survey. I choose to believe they are not.

I have a 2015 2.7 F150 and so far at 35,000 miles it has been flawless "knock on wood" I really love the engines feel. It seems twice as powerful as it is. Also we have a 2018 F350 with the 6,2 gas engine and there is something about the V8 pulse that feels so good . Take the time and do some serious test drives to chose between the engines. I would chance at saying, any of the engine you chose will be nice.

I think it all depends what he wants to do with his truck?

Tow a bit? EB 3.5 hands down. We regularly tow our camper with ours (2010) and it's just under 10k GVWR. The engine is a gem. It will pull most interstates at the speed limit or above with little drama. It just hooks up and goes. And tows like a diesel with low RPMS and power in most places. MPG could be better. It's the fastest of the 1/2 tons too - has been since it came out. Nearing 100k and no issues other than exhaust manifolds which were an issue on the early ones - I think they got that sorted out by 2012/2013.

Around town or occasional towing it would be a hard choice between the 5.0 and 2.7. Love the sound of the Coyote but the flat power of the 2.7 would be hard to pass up.

You can't go wrong - they all are quite reliable engines.

I hate these threads because it makes me wanna go to Ford and buy something I really don't need.
Personally, I would be buying the 2.7...
My BIL got a loaded F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed. He loves it.
Mark came from a RAM Diesel Dually used in his granite business.
He knows all about towing and heavy loads.

Depends on how exactly the truck is going to be used.

Daily driver? With occasional towing up to around 7000 lbs (properly equipped)? The 2.7 hands down. It is as fast or near close to the 3.5 (not a typo or joke) when unloaded. Delivers better gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

Towing heavy sometimes? Have to have the best in hp and torque? Then the 3.5 is the answer. Higher payload too.

Towing heaver the majority of the time? Gotta have a V8 sound? Then the 5.0 is a good answer. It will deliver better fuel mileage when loaded up all the time. It will have to rev to do so, and may not feel as easy as the 3.5 ecoboost, but the fuel mileage savings will be there.

Go drive them all. Drive what you like.

My choice was the 2.7 in the 2016 F150. I drove the 3.5 and 2.7 back to back and could not immediately tell the difference. For my use, the 2.7 runs circles around the 5.4 3V F150 it replaced. 4MPG better on average and a boatload more fun to drive.

One way to look at it is Ford had to generate something solid if they were going to convince people a 2.7 V6 was going to be enough for an F150. Its gone from being a I'd never consider something like that to one of the most popular engine choices for a reason - and it isn't just because it is a low cost option.

Last edited:
I have the 5.0 liter and love it. I have been in the 3.5's and they do have a little better pulling power. The gas mileage is about 1 mpg more with the 3.5's. However at 200,000 miles or more IMO the 5.0 will be less expensive for repairs and is more reliable. The 5.0 is a very reliable engine and easy to change spare plugs and coils.

I think selecting the 3.5 liter V6 ecoboost (twin turbo) automatically gets you the heavier duty 9.75 inch rear differential. And maybe the heavy duty chassis. If not, selecting 3.73:1 electronic locking differential definitely obtains you the 9.75"

I've got a 2017 with the 3.5L Ecoboost and the 10-speed transmission. I've had it over 2 years now and have 18K miles on it.

My thoughts:

1. Gas mileage is how you drive it -- if the turbo boost is lit up it burns gas!
2. If you want to conserve gas, USE THE CRUISE CONTROL! I find the difference between my foot and the cruise control on the highway is at least 1 MPG.
3. Keep your tires at max pressure recommended by Ford.
4. It sounds wimpy.
5. It is incredibly powerful and pulls a double axle trailer loaded with dirt bikes like there is nothing back there.
6. I live in flat area -- I've never reset the MPG menu -- I have averaged 22.5MPG over 18K miles. But I also don't drive like an assh0le.
7. I use regular 87 Octane gas, usually Exxon, sometimes Chevron - never "no name" gasoline.
8. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 5W-30 oil.
9. Radio sucks.

Stay far away from anything with a 3rd gen coyote 5.0 (18+) as Ford really botched the reliability of that engine. The 2nd gen 5.0 from 15-17 is the way to go if you want a v8, but unfortunately you only get the 6 speed.

If you really want a 10 speed, I would go 2.7 ecoboost. Lots of torque and gets pretty good gas mileage if you drive it easy.

I have the 5.0 and can attest to its lack luster MPG's. However, if you prefer simplicity and the ability to open the hood and identify every part without removing miles of hoses tubes and wires, if you work on stuff yourself the 5.0 if the one for you. The 10 speed is nice too.

Originally Posted by bradepb
There is a problem with the newer 5.0 litre and oil consumption. I am not up to date on it but it has something to do with the way the cylinders are lined now. They have been replacing some long blocks.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...placing-f150-5-0s-due-to-oil-consumption

True on the oil consumption issues with some 2018+ 5.0's. There's a TSB out on it.

The 2018+ 5.0 in the F-150 uses cylinder liner created by a plasma arc process, liner material is welded to the bore and then the bore is honed. It is not a new process, it was invented in 2009 and is referred to as PTWA (Plasma Transferred Wire Arc).

This is an informative link, if one has the desire to explore the process and situation with the new 5.0's:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ransfer-wire-arc-cylinder-liners.113071/

They should have an F150 with the Chevy 6.2 V8. They already share that 10 speed auto, why not just buy some engines from GM? I'd sell my GMC for a 6.2 powered F150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back