2017 vs. 2016 Ford F150 comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
2016 vs 2017 Ford F-150 10-Speed 0-60 MPH Mashup Towing Review: How Fast is the Gen2 3.5L EcoBoost? The Fast Lane Truck.

Seems like the new 2017 F150 will be getting the Ford/GM 10 speed automatic transmission and the new 2nd generation 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Last edited:
Which one comes with the option to get a heated tailgate? Want to keep my hands warm when I am pushing it.

$64K+ sticker price as tested, that's a lot of wood. I'm glad they still have the shift and not a dial for the AT gear selector. I can't wait to hear the early adapters reviews of the new engine and transmission combo.

I expected it to be faster in a straight line and between shifts. The ZF 8 speed in the Ram seems more responsive.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
$64k sticker price? Why would you not get a F-250?

It was a decked out King Ranch. They are pricey. Same thing in a 250 is around $70k when you check the correct boxes (Diesel).

I Can get big V8 250 +350 WT between 27 and 30K all day. If you let ford charge you double sticker for carpet and dooh dads then that's there goes a walking lollipop ...

that new 3.5 ecoboost seems a good bit more powerful, but in their test that didnt really translate to more speed. It did seem to help in the towing of 9k up a hill, which was cool. I think for most people, the older 6 speed is just fine. but for towing the 10 speed seems interesting.

I am actually going to be looking at a couple F150s tomorrow, since I wont be towing too much and mostly using the truck bed, the 6 speed would be fine for more and seems pretty proven at this point.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I Can get big V8 250 +350 WT between 27 and 30K all day. If you let ford charge you double sticker for carpet and dooh dads then that's there goes a walking lollipop ...

Many of us don't want those POS trucks. They may be fine for a work crew or contractor who hauls stuff and then spends the next 8-12 hours at a job site. For us we spend hours in the truck towing a camper so I don't want it to be a loud, barren place.

Last edited:
Get a good bed liner before some Chevy freak attacks it with bricks
wink.gif

And queue the usual complaints and comments all based on one test truck and video...

They are too expensive... Why wouldn't you get a 3/4 ton for that price... My brand is better with its V8... blah, blah..

Don't want the $64k stickered truck? Then don't buy the top of the line King Ranch. Ford will happily sell you an XL for much less or an XLT for under 40k. (Full disclosure: I own a loaded up XLT and it sold for $37k despite a 50k sticker price...) Different trucks for different folks. Also appears to be a crew cab, which as anyone who has priced trucks as of late knows have a higher price out the door than a regular or supercab...

For what most people do with a 1/2 ton, a 3/4 ton is overkill. Nice to be able to tackle a bigger job when needed, but if its only needed 1% of the time...

If you have to have a V8, Ford's got one of them too...

Just be happy that there are so many good options in this field - and a bazillion options and choices on the trucks themselves..

I recently looked at the F-150...nice truck for sure. I really like the RAM Ecodiesel 3.0...might go that way or do the F-250 6.7 Powerstroke.

If you want a nice riding vehicle with towing a trailer on weekends a half-ton is the way to go as along as you stay in your numbers. If you want something that rides like a truck buy a 250 or better.

And yes they do ride rougher.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Many of us don't want those POS trucks. They may be fine for a work crew or contractor who hauls stuff and then spends the next 8-12 hours at a job site. For us we spend hours in the truck towing a camper so I don't want it to be a loud, barren place.

THIS^^^couldn't have said it better myself!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
$64K+ sticker price as tested, that's a lot of wood. I'm glad they still have the shift and not a dial for the AT gear selector. I can't wait to hear the early adapters reviews of the new engine and transmission combo.

Rip off ! Truck prices are out of control and ford leads the way. Happily mine was stickered at 43 and I got 9gs off sticker

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: itguy08

THIS^^^couldn't have said it better myself!

So a little carpeting, sound deadening, fancy wheels and a couple grand of electronic extras equals
+ 20 grand premium? That's for Suckers. The big 2&1/2 know it. But therein exist no real 40 grand value in a loaded f150 of 1500 or whatever.

Enjoy being ripped off, boys.

Danger Will Robinson!
I find myself in complete agreement with Arco.
Add some cheap, fancy looking interior trim to a base spec vehicle along with a couple of fairly useless tech-looking thingies and you can jack the delivered price up considerably.
It has ever been thus in the car biz.
WRT a barren interior, since one normally looks outside when driving and does the same, sleeps, reads or surfs while riding as a passenger, the gimcracks in the interior are of little interest once you've had any vehicle for a couple of weeks.

I own a platinum so obviously I am biased. I like the nicer interior because we often spend 6 hours in the truck at a time. The nicer heat/cool seats and 10 way adjustment make it comfortable. I put a lot of miles on my truck and don't want the plastic rugs and the cloth seats. Besides if you are patient and work the deals these trucks can be had way below sticker.

So a little carpeting, sound deadening, fancy wheels and a couple grand of electronic extras equals
+ 20 grand premium? That's for Suckers. The big 2&1/2 know it. But therein exist no real 40 grand value in a loaded f150 of 1500 or whatever.

Enjoy being ripped off, boys.

Shows how out of touch you are Gramps.

Just went to Ford.com and checked these boxes: F150, Super crew, 6.5ft bed, Ecoboost 3.5, 3.55 E-Locker (what I would buy for towing our camper). XL: $39.510, Lariat: $48,080 or $8,570 difference.

I'll gladly pay that for the extra "niceties" of the Lariat. Over 10 years it's $857 a YEAR.

And that's MSRP - there is much more leeway on the pricing of the "expensive" trucks vs the stripped models.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Add some cheap, fancy looking interior trim to a base spec vehicle along with a couple of fairly useless tech-looking thingies and you can jack the delivered price up considerably.
It has ever been thus in the car biz.
WRT a barren interior, since one normally looks outside when driving and does the same, sleeps, reads or surfs while riding as a passenger, the gimcracks in the interior are of little interest once you've had any vehicle for a couple of weeks.

Let's see here- use the SYNC in all our vehicles quite regularly. Nice to have your phone in the speakers, be able to listen to Podcasts, streaming radio, etc.

We have a dog and I'm somewhat messy so the heated/cooled leather seats are easy to care for and comfy.

I like the auto windows, door locks, etc. As well as carpet on the floor. Prefer the console shifter to the column as well as the HUGE console. Also use the 110V plug in the back quite a bit for laptops, charging camera batteries, etc.

Did I mention it's as quiet as my Taurus?

I could drive the vinyl, crank windows, rubber floor, barren interior but WHY? We got back from vacation - 1000+ miles in the truck, towing and using the truck as transportation. Much nicer place in the interior than a POS work truck.

You can also buy used and save some $$ off the price of new and get a nicer vehicle. Although it's not as easy as 3 years ago when gas was crazy expensive and people were selling their trucks for something more "fuel efficient".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back