RIP 3.3L F-150

2024 F150 is announced, 3.3L is no more 2.7EB is base engine.

Appears 3.5L EB no longer available in STX which is now its own model (2.7 or 5.0)

No word on Rattler Package return on XL

Tremor now can have Raptor like modular bumper and a bunch of other stuff but you have to get Tremor High (boo).

New tailgate on higher trims with access door (somewhat weird IMO).

Wonder how much CAFE benefit they get by canning this engine??
Mine was fairly efficient. 21.7 MPG in mixed driving for 2.5 years and 23,000 miles.

The fatal flaw of that engine IMO was no midrange. When you could fly thru the midrange and get right on the cams the dang thing was fast. Off the line was real good if you didn't just stomp on it. That confused it.

Too bad about the 3.3, but makes sense. The 2.7 does everything better and by all accounts us very reliable. I always thought the 3.3 would have been a great match with the hybrid system. Probably would have got upper 20s mpg. Glad the 5.0 survived!

Well, I forsee a lot of ram trucks with the v6 entering our fleet with this announcement... fleet managers hate the word turbo, and gm and ford are now out on base models.

I actually wished the f150 got the 2.3 as the base engine as I'm sure it would be more efficient by more 2 mpg compared to the 2.7 like the bronco as 315lb ft of torque is more than enough to move it around.

I actually wished the f150 got the 2.3 as the base engine as I'm sure it would be more efficient by at least 1mpg maybe 2 city compared to the 2.7 as 315lb ft of torque is more than enough to move it around.

After dealing with the coolant intrusion issue that affected the 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.3, I wouldn't touch the 2.3 with a bargepole, even if it is fixed

The only thing i don't like about the 2.7 is the wet rubber or "kevlar" belt inside. That irks me.

Agreed, though apparently they are pretty reliable otherwise

After dealing with the coolant intrusion issue that affected the 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.3, I wouldn't touch the 2.3 with a bargepole, even if it is fixed
I thought the 2.3 was mostly free from it. The others yes i know how bad the coolant intrusion issues were. But they've sorted it by now as they updated the blocks years ago so i don't really hear from it on newer years. Just the older ones that took their time to fail.

The only thing i don't like about the 2.7 is the wet rubber or "kevlar" belt inside. That irks me.
Because of a handful of documented failures over a few million engines that likely have covered several hundred million miles?

Even Six Sigma reliability has 3.4 defects per million opportunities and that is a gold standard. You’re more likely to die from jaywalking than the belt failing in a 2.7…. For perspective 😉

Well, I forsee a lot of ram trucks with the v6 entering our fleet with this announcement... fleet managers hate the word turbo, and gm and ford are now out on base models.
And then during their oil changes, the maintenance guys won’t use a torque wrench on the filter housing and cause it to crack. 🤫

I thought the 2.3 was mostly free from it. The others yes i know how bad the coolant intrusion issues were. But they've sorted it by now as they updated the blocks years ago so i don't really hear from it on newer years. Just the older ones that took their time to fail.
I have to agree. If someone thinks the 2.3 is affected by leaking blocks, let’s hear the evidence.

2024 F150 is announced, 3.3L is no more 2.7EB is base engine.

Appears 3.5L EB no longer available in STX which is now its own model (2.7 or 5.0)

No word on Rattler Package return on XL

Tremor now can have Raptor like modular bumper and a bunch of other stuff but you have to get Tremor High (boo).

New tailgate on higher trims with access door (somewhat weird IMO).
Any word on the cost of new LED tail lights?

Asking for a friend…

😉

Any word on the cost of new LED tail lights?

Asking for a friend…

😉
Thousands, just like any other LED head or tail light...

Audi headlights 3300 each... and so forth...

They say they simplified the ordering process, which i assume is why the packaging is the way it is... for example the torsion front diff is no longer a stand alone on the Tremor, you have to get tremor high and it is included. Tremor high is over 10,000 and gets stuff you may not want....

Honestly hope Rattler comes back. I'll put the torsion in myself i guess....

Back