Ever consider being a One-Car Family?

Love the thought of it, have had that thought multiple times, but can't see it happening. Seasonally yes...I commute on the bike when I can so 1 car plus the moto would for sure work sometimes, but not year-round.

When I’ve had a brand new car and was tempted to have only one
a recall that required 2 weeks would occur and the old reliable came in handy,
not to mention my trailer tower needs to move objects occasionally so having just one would end up costing a lot more on fuel and maintenance.

It’s unfortunate they want half your income to go to insurance whether you drive 100 miles or 100,000 miles and blanket liability is illegal these days. Not that long ago a second or third car for one person was only an extra $85 a year insurance.

Honestly would love to see car insurance banned and let god sort them out. It’s not like I’ve ever had to use it and past experience is when you do
you have to fight tooth and nail with them.
Used to think mandatory car insurance would be a good thing but then found that it just tripled the rates resulting in fewer insured drivers. Every accident my folks ever had was with an uninsured driver.

Ah well

Way too broad of a question. In a large city with ample public transportation and taxis / Uber everywhere, yes, it could be done. It would cost though and at times be inconvenient.

In the suburbs, exurbs, and rural areas, not likely.

I'm a single dude and getting sick of maintaining two vehicles so will be downsizing to one. I have an SUV and a RWD coupe. The SUV would seem like the natural choice, but it's getting old and the coupe is much newer + better on gas so I could see myself driving it to the ground over the next 5-10 years with minimal maintenance.

So the plan will be to DD the coupe. I think with winter tires it should mostly get me around the Canadian winters ok. I'll get a hitch and roof rack to carry the bikes/snowboard/cargo box so I'll still be able to go on adventures with it. The main concern is the lack of ground clearance which sucks if I want to go deeper into nature. Will definitely miss the feeling of invincibility of a 4x4.

I'm an automotive hobbyist, so I could never really get away with one vehicle. However, fiance' is WFH indefinitely and was scheduled to be WFH in May of this year due to normal job functions. That specific job goes full WFH after two years.

I was strongly considering selling the Forester and thowing some money at the Leaseon and just using that for my DD. It sits, a lot.

We could probably live as a "less" vehicle household

I'm a single dude and getting sick of maintaining two vehicles so will be downsizing to one. I have an SUV and a RWD coupe. The SUV would seem like the natural choice, but it's getting old and the coupe is much newer + better on gas so I could see myself driving it to the ground over the next 5-10 years with minimal maintenance.

So the plan will be to DD the coupe. I think with winter tires it should mostly get me around the Canadian winters ok. I'll get a hitch and roof rack to carry the bikes/snowboard/cargo box so I'll still be able to go on adventures with it. The main concern is the lack of ground clearance which sucks if I want to go deeper into nature. Will definitely miss the feeling of invincibility of a 4x4.
I'm married but feel kinda the same, tired of having two vehicles for myself, can only drive one at a time after all, and only one of them fits in the garage.

As much as I prefer driving my sedan an SUV/CUV has more ground clearance. 9 months of the year that's of no gain. Right now it's rather nice!

No. 3 drivers 5 cars.
Wife has her daily, I have my daily, Kid has his truck, we have the Trans Am which mostly sits and we have our 2017 Silverado tow pig.

Last edited:
I think 200 years ago, most family's had (at least) two horses.
So even in todays world, you need two cars.

But if your retired (or single) one car could be enough, considering the $ savings.

With one car, you really have to keep up with repair and maintenance.

I'm married but feel kinda the same, tired of having two vehicles for myself, can only drive one at a time after all, and only one of them fits in the garage.

As much as I prefer driving my sedan an SUV/CUV has more ground clearance. 9 months of the year that's of no gain. Right now it's rather nice!
Similar situation for us. Minor adjustments to our lifestyle and schedules would easily allow us to downsize to one car though. We know of a few people who have done the same and it has worked out fine for them.

However, I have no immediate plans to do so.

Yeah, I can't justify vehicle changes right now. If everything suddenly snaps back to the old normal, well I could use a high mpg commuter (except I'm not sure if TCO would make sense), and then something still larger for the weekend. Wife drives nearly as much as I do, so two high mpg vehicles makes sense for us, but a third so as to allow one to break down occasionally... hard to say where the break-even point is on that one.

Not a chance. Especially since one of them is a BMW. It is good to have a backup. I also do not like driving a truck daily but need it for home repairs and motorcycles. So we have 3 cars, 1 truck and 2 drivers.

Saving would be nice. I've thought about it, bit once stuff gets back to normal it will be a pain to try to live with only one car.

The only time I can see it working is once I'm retired.

Nope couldn’t do that. We have 7 cars only four have ran in the last year or so. The others are projects. One is down right now for valve cover gaskets and intake gaskets and spark plugs. I just got the rear cover off today so hopefully I will finish it tomorrow. We like to have extra cars too because my sister and her family have 4 cars but only one runs and they lost their jobs so we have an extra on hand in case we have to take them or their kids somewhere but we won’t let them drive our stuff though. And my dad works and is gone minimum overnight and to drive to where he keeps his truck is an hour there and hour back so we definitely need more than one car.

We gave our big van ('09 Kia Sedona) to our son and his family in late 2018, and thought we'd try it with just the one vehicle for awhile.

So we're two years and a couple of months in now, and it's been mixed. The big thing is that our Mazda 5 is getting older now (it's a 2009), and is starting to need more repairs. A wheel bearing (I'm pretty sure) started rumbling a few weeks ago, and so right now we're trying to minimize our driving so I can replace the bearing when it warms up a bit here. I did the other side in 2017, and it was quite the job for a shadetree mechanic. If we had a 2nd vehicle, we could just park the 5 for a few weeks.

The other thing is that if we only have one vehicle, it needs to be bigger. The 5 is a good vehicle for what it is, and makes excellent use of its limited dimensions, but ultimately it's a tight fit - we have car seats for the grandchildren in the middle row, so if we need to take a 3rd adult, they have to enter the 3rd row through the hatch.

So we've been looking for the great oxymoron, another big minivan, for several months now. Used car prices are crazy, and we're looking for certain features while also getting something affordable, and without excessive mileage on it.

Long-term, I could see us having a big minivan for trips, and a smaller electric or hybrid or PHEV for around town.

Back