Ever been to a snapping turtle feed?

I grew up in the sticks. One day my friend and I caught a snapping turtle. Decided to clean and cook it up. It turned out good, so we started catching them and have a yearly feed. We supplied turtles and a keg of beer. Most other people brought a side dish.

They were sure a different critter to clean! Cut off the head of one and set it aside. 1/2 hour later, my German Shepard decided to sniff the head and it latched onto his nose. :mad: Hearts would still be beating 1/2-3/4 hour after removal from the body.

We had a farmer friend with a pond full of them. Normally caught a few bluegills for bait. Hook them to a gallon jug and toss it out and come back the next day. Another method was to catch a few fish and have them on a stringer attached to our boat. When you saw the head pop up, shoot it off with my Model 94 Winchester in 30-30. Used a dip net to throw them in the boat. They would walk around the boat with no heads for a couple hours.

Gary and I would take turns every year hosting the event. Bonfire, beer and good food. Usually pressure cooked them until tender. Then bread and fry them, or season and cook on the grill. Good times in the late 70's and early 80's. Then I moved away and have not had turtle since. Anyone else ever eat them?

Turtles aren't on my menu. They don't die quickly due to traumatic injuries like mammals do. A turtle has a very slow metabolism and their oxygen requirements are minimal. Even if you lop off the head, the head remains functional for hours and that goes for the rest of the body. A turtle may be walking around without its head attached.

Thanks for sharing some great memories. I've eaten just about everything imaginable, but never turtle. I will have to put that on my bucket list.

Your story reminds me of our frog giggin expeditions, also back in the 70's. Early in our marriage my wife used to be out into the wee hours of the morning dipping smelt in the Upper Peninsula. Same scenerio - great times outdoors with friends that resulted in great eating.

Thanks for sharing some great memories. I've eaten just about everything imaginable, but never turtle. I will have to put that on my bucket list.

Your story reminds me of our frog giggin expeditions, also back in the 70's. Early in our marriage my wife used to be out into the wee hours of the morning dipping smelt in the Upper Peninsula. Same scenerio - great times outdoors with friends that resulted in great eating.
There was a great frog gigging place, not far from here. We used an airboat and flash lights at night. Not uncommon to get 100 or more bullfrogs in a night. We started having frog feeds after moving here. Had not been there in years.

Drove down to look at it a few years ago. So overgrown now, can not even use an airboat. Bet there are still lot's of frogs there.

Love Snapper Soup. Anybody familiar with Philadelphia is aware of a restaurant called Bookbinder’s which my aunt was a hostess at in the late 60’s, early 70’s. That soup was one of their specialties and I loved it as a kid.

Funny story: I was home on leave from overseas in the early 80’s and a buddy and I went to a restaurant on Hunting Park Ave in the Juniata section of Philly. They had Snapper Soup on the menu and when the waitress came to take our order, without thinking, I asked how their Snapper was knowing what good Snapper was from Bookbinder’s. Without missing a beat she said, “Snappy”. I immediately began apologizing but both she and my buddy couldn’t stop laughing.

Didn’t come close to Bookbinder’s.

Love snapper soup. I think some places now substitute other meats for snapping turtle. But a good snapper soup is great, with some sherry on top.

Not sure Id consider any other way of eating them though...

The pond in the neighborhood is full of them. Other turtles too. They usually crawl up in the yard and lay eggs. There's one with a two foot shell. The local tavern use to have a turtle Tuesday for the menu but gave it up with the Covid. :cautious:

Love snapper soup. I think some places now substitute other meats for snapping turtle. But a good snapper soup is great, with some sherry on top.

Not sure Id consider any other way of eating them though...
We never tried making soup with them, but I am sure it would be good.
Had to steam or pressure cook them first, or they would be tough. Think breaded and fried in butter was my favorite.

Turtles aren't on my menu. They don't die quickly due to traumatic injuries like mammals do. A turtle has a very slow metabolism and their oxygen requirements are minimal. Even if you lop off the head, the head remains functional for hours and that goes for the rest of the body. A turtle may be walking around without its head attached.

I was at the festival in Fruita in 1992

Brother used to throw them in a bucket or trash can full of water for a day or 2, changing out the water. He called that "demudding" Never used a pressure cooker as it was in the woods where we used to fish and camp as kids but would boil them up or mostly fry them up.--good eating.

Yep the heads would still snap and the legs/claws would still get you. I remember butchering chickens with my grandfather as a kid and after he lopped of the head I would let them go and watch the headless chickens fly into everything.

Thanks for the memories..

Had snapper soup many times in Bookbinders!!! There were 2 if I recall, one on Locust( I thought they had better crab) and 1 near 2nd and Walnut(had the good snapper soup) if memory serves me. Spent a lot of time in Phila during the 70's and 80's

Last edited:
Saw a snapping turtle head bite into a broomstick well after the head cut off. Tough critters for sure.

I was at the festival in Fruita in 1992

I looked around and it says when Miuke's head got cut off 80% of his brain was not removed. Don't ask me how. Also, they fed Mike, probably with a tube and a funnel. That's all really dark.

This was last spring. They are starting to come out and sun themselves now.

10 turtles sunning.jpg

Isn't the bite strength less than most people would think? I saw some studies indicating that the bite pressure is less than a human.

Not sure about a lot of them since they supposedly accumulate toxins like mercury and PCBs.

Back