Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

Europe has had start/stop systems for decades so there should be some longevity data related to start/stop systems and their impact on the engine. Some OEM's have "smarter" systems than others and thus do not stop/start unnecessarily. I can state unequivocally that Mercedes and GM (in the Netherlands) have better systems than some of those in the US. The system in my Jeep (FCA) is not very smart and stops far too often, but with that said, I have seen an MPG improvement when using start/stop versus not no matter which OEM it is.

I have a Tazer Mini that I will be installing at some point that will turn off start/stop on my Jeep so that I do not have to remember to shut it off each time I get in it.

I had a FCA rental several years ago with their start/stop and I agree, it shut off very quickly after stopping. In fact it would shut off while I was parallel parking. I did turn the system off once I figured out how to.

This start/stop topic is one that is staring to appear on a regular basis. First of all-it's not new. It has been around at least five years. Are shops seeing failures of the components-yes but not in any large numbers.

NO-the the start/stop system doesn't use conventional starters and technology.

There are after market black boxes (for some vehicles) for less than $200.00 that plug in to the OBD ports that disable the technology as long as it is plugged in to the port.

I know there are those on here who run away like a scared cat when it comes to anything different or "new-tech".

You are going to have to keep your Crown Vics for a long time fellas.............

Exactly. In fact, the Mazda start/stop system doesn’t use the starter at all.

The same thing that happens when your car just dies for no reason. Like the gallon of water in the gas you just bought. Other drivers might help you push it, or just sit and mindlessly honk and threaten you.

That said I work in the rebuilding industry, I look forward to these systems coming out of warranty so we can sell more parts.

Rod

I think what most people are trying to say is this:

An object at rest tends to stay at rest, an object in motion tends to stay in motion.

Thanks, Newton!

Im ok with start/stop systems now but it’s more reassuring know the engine is running. But a lot CAN go wrong in a split second and cause problems. Like weak ignition components.

I think what most people are trying to say is this:

An object at rest tends to stay at rest, an object in motion tends to stay in motion.

Thanks, Newton!

Im ok with start/stop systems now but it’s more reassuring know the engine is running. But a lot CAN go wrong in a split second and cause problems. Like weak ignition components.

It’s always a good idea to check your points and rotor periodically as well as the other parts. 😁

Have you driven a vehicle with auto stop/start? By the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, the engine is already back on, if designed correctly.

Some folks don’t handle new technology too well, or want any excuse to argue about some feature they don’t happen to like. Keyless access, pushbutton start, auto start/stop. All these darned newfangled contraptions they put in modern cars. Curse them all! Personally, I wish all cars I drove had these. No need to fumble with keys to unlock and open the door or trunk. Same to start it up. Just step on the brake and push a button. Come to a stop light and engine shuts off. You’re in sweet silence with no engine vibration at idle and not wasting any gas. How odd that people are quick to hate these features, but won’t even consider a car unless it has the latest Apple or Andriod systems so they can chat or text on their Bluetooth phones while driving.

4.5 years, 67,000 miles in and the Battery is still original and things work just fine on my 2016 F150 with the 2.7 that comes with Start Stop. You start to realize how much time you spend idling when you start driving with one of these...

YMMV...

4.5 years, 67,000 miles in and the Battery is still original and things work just fine on my 2016 F150 with the 2.7 that comes with Start Stop. You start to realize how much time you spend idling when you start driving with one of these...

YMMV...
Enjoy it!

It's a bit of a generational thing as well..

We have a few Ford pick-ups at work with stop/start. Myself and most of the older staff really don't like it, and turn it off as soon as we get in the truck. The younger guys shrug and say it doesn't bother them at all.
My son has a new Kia Stinger with the twin turbo V6. We went for a spin and I asked him if he turns the start/stop off, he said "Why?..
it works fine and saves a little gas at lights. The engine will last as long as I need it to."

I don't like or want start/stop on my vehicles, or, would buy only if it could be turned off easily. Between start/stop, cylinder deactivation, and (maybe CVTs, some of them are actually pretty good now) I'll be stuck with the fleet I have now for a long time. :p

How is push button start bad? And why would it fail any more often than a conventional key ignition system? Probably easier to fix it also.

Yes, ever since they started putting chips in keys, it has made the keyed lock cylinder obsolete. The key serves no other purpose except to open your doors.

I don't mind the technology as long as it can be turned off. We have it in our Jetta and though it is pretty seamless we keep it turned off most of the time. I know it was designed to stand up to the additional start / stop cycles but I'd like to keep the wear down as much as possible.

I don't mind the technology as long as it can be turned off. We have it in our Jetta and though it is pretty seamless we keep it turned off most of the time. I know it was designed to stand up to the additional start / stop cycles but I'd like to keep the wear down as much as possible.
My feelings exactly, and as long as it can be easily turned off and I liked the vehicle I'd buy it. Then disable it the minute I hopped into the vehicle to drive it from the dealer home. ;)

I installed a module in my Jeep that remembers the last setting so you don't have to disable it every time you start the car. The problem with all of these start/stops systems is that it has no idea how long you're going to be stopped. It doesn't know if you're stopping for a pedestrian to cross or going to be sitting at a light for 5 minutes. I find it useful sometimes - if I know I am going to be stopped for an extended time and I'm not using the A/C I'll turn it on but for most trips it's more an annoyance than anything else.

If it can't easily be disabled, I will not buy a car with it. My aunt had a rental Malibu with it a couple years ago that we put 3k miles on in a month. Miserable car, but the stop/start was horrible. I can't stand the A/C turning off. Also, it turns the engine off for like 2 seconds when you're waiting for the garage door to open.

If it can't easily be disabled, I will not buy a car with it. My aunt had a rental Malibu with it a couple years ago that we put 3k miles on in a month. Miserable car, but the stop/start was horrible. I can't stand the A/C turning off. Also, it turns the engine off for like 2 seconds when you're waiting for the garage door to open.
What do you mean by that? Most cars have a button where you can turn it off, it's just not permanently. Don't have it yet so don't know if it will bother me that much. I've rented cars with it, just got used to it. It's the same with my heated seats, it has a button you hit to turn it on and it slowly shuts itself off after 20 minutes so it's just another button to hit on a cold morning, can't leave it on by default.

Back