Engine oil for brand new 6.4 Hemi in Charger?

Well, since the original Hemi cylinder head wasn't so good for emissions, that might have been the best they could do...
The issues with these engines...
1) first run (2004-2007) dropped valve seats
2) second run (2010 up) was seized roller lifters that wore out cams I heard that this was rectified by 2017 but who knows

My '07 is still running great at 120,000 miles. Pulls my 5000 lb boat like it's not there, and the Quadradrive II 4x4 system is phenominal on even the worst boat ramps.

they are great running engines when you get a good one.
I ALMOST bought a 3 year old Challenger Scat pack in '18 but I THOUGHT I heard that tick when it started up. Fast as all hell though. Still want one.
2015 Challenger 392 Scat Pack.JPG

More overheard trash talk:

"Buy a classic Dodge or Plymouth. Not an overweight E class mercedes with a pretend hemi.
You can keep callin' it a "hemi" but it don't make it true !"

Many of the street HEMI's didn't have fully hemispherical chambers anyways. The BOSS 429 didn't (though the 427SOHC did) because they had poor street manners and the low swirl at low engine speeds made them doggy and unresponsive. Putting a bit of a quench area in the chamber produced a big improvement.

Many of the street HEMI's didn't have fully hemispherical chambers anyways. The BOSS 429 didn't (though the 427SOHC did) because they had poor street manners and the low swirl at low engine speeds made them doggy and unresponsive. Putting a bit of a quench area in the chamber produced a big improvement.
If you are talking about the street hemi 426 from the mid 60s to the early 70s....they were ALL a true HEMI head....

If you are talking about the street hemi 426 from the mid 60s to the early 70s....they were ALL a true HEMI head....
I should probably have noted that I'm using HEMI here in the colloquial manner, referring to anything using hemispherical-style chambers, kind of like how most facial tissue gets called "kleenex" despite both being brands from specific companies.

I was referring to Ford's pursuit of using HEMI chambers too, which started with the 427 SOHC, which had true hemispherical chambers:
A-HeadExhIntakeValves.jpg

and the Can-am and competition versions of the BOSS 429 also had fully hemispherical chambers, but they added a quench area on each side of the chamber for the street version, due to the reasons I mentioned, which they experienced with the 427 SOHC, but Chrysler also experienced with the 426:
Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 12.51.28 PM.jpg

Toyota used the area around the chamber as quench:
1666804009210.jpg

but also experimented with quench areas like Ford did:
1666804033415.jpg

Nissan did similar:
1666804275754.jpg

I should probably have noted that I'm using HEMI here in the colloquial manner, referring to anything using hemispherical-style chambers, kind of like how most facial tissue gets called "kleenex" despite both being brands from specific companies.

I was referring to Ford's pursuit of using HEMI chambers too, which started with the 427 SOHC, which had true hemispherical chambers:
View attachment 123055

and the Can-am and competition versions of the BOSS 429 also had fully hemispherical chambers, but they added a quench area on each side of the chamber for the street version, due to the reasons I mentioned, which they experienced with the 427 SOHC, but Chrysler also experienced with the 426:
View attachment 123056

Toyota used the area around the chamber as quench:
View attachment 123058

but also experimented with quench areas like Ford did:
View attachment 123059

Nissan did similar:
View attachment 123060
I had a 1973 dodge colt with a 1600 cc mitsubishi engine and it was a Hemi head 4 banger....I enjoyed your pictures you posted. Always loved the look of the Hemi and the 427 cammer and the boss 429....they looked fast just looking at them..

The Hemi cants the intake valve away from the cylinder wall, improving flow but its canted toward the center of the chamber -but at least that has a gradual radius.

I liked the Mk I BB Chevy 409 head - flat as a ironing board , but used a land on the piston for quench.
Made 428 lb-ft of torque at 5200 rpm. 1 Hp per cu-in. in street tune. Not bad for 1963.

I think my '71 Audi 100LS pushrod Mercedes tractor engine I grenaded had no chamber either. IIRC.

Chevy W motor BB Head:

w motor heads.jpg

Back when Mobil 1 was the factory fill in Chrysler SRT engines (circa 2009 or so) I started using M1 5w/20 in my '07 Hemi 5.7 Hemi with MDS and kept using it despite the controversy about M1 not meeting FCA's spec (even tho some of Mobil's other oils do). Now 95,000 miles later still using M1, oil analyses are good, and lifter/camshaft seem to be doing just fine.
Still a big fan of the Hemi, will be mad at the clowns at Stellantis for discontinuing it, & won't buy anything new from them.

The Hemi cants the intake valve away from the cylinder wall, improving flow but its canted toward the center of the chamber -but at least that has a gradual radius.

I liked the Mk I BB Chevy 409 head - flat as a ironing board , but used a land on the piston for quench.
Made 428 lb-ft of torque at 5200 rpm. 1 Hp per cu-in. in street tune. Not bad for 1963.

I think my '71 Audi 100LS pushrod Mercedes tractor engine I grenaded had no chamber either. IIRC.

Chevy W motor BB Head:

View attachment 123397

I've seen similar heads for the BOSS 429, think they were Mountain Motor heads.

Jon Kaase makes a small chamber head for the BOSS 429:
1666973423516.jpg

He sells package engines with these heads with HP ratings from 500-1000HP (and 1,500HP with a blower). These are all street engines.

Kaase said:
Customers also have the option of a hydraulic or solid roller camshaft. Bear in mind that the 521ci version produces approximately 770 horsepower and 730 foot-pounds of torque with a hydraulic roller cam. Boss Nine engines are fitted with a single-plane intake manifold for a 4150 or 4500 style carburetor.

Reactions: 4WD
When I was just a kid 11 years old we lived around the corner from a Chrysler Plymouth dealer and I recall the day in 1966 when the first Hemi powered Plymouth showed up. Read all about the Hemi engine in Hot Rod magazine and heard the story about how it got banned in NASCAR & that caused ChryCo to bring it back. Which in turn resulted in Ford bringing out the “Shotgun” Boss 429….what a great time to be a car nut!

I've seen similar heads for the BOSS 429, think they were Mountain Motor heads.

Jon Kaase makes a small chamber head for the BOSS 429:
View attachment 123401
Modern looking compact chambers - similar to the chevrolet LS. But a very different port x-section while maintaining the canted valve benefit. A different audience and final application on the BOSS VS LS/LT for sure

Back