Engine Damage caused from 0W20/5W20?

HOWEVER, if it would make your morning coffee go down a little easier, here's the link to the Subaru XV forum thread:
So don't sue me!
Well that's pretty mild on the Bitog Bash scale. I see a lot of typical ignorance and misinformation but in terms of ripping a new one about Bitog I don't see a lot.

My favorite: “You can’t use that 0W40 Mobil 1 in your Mercedes, or you won’t get enough oil pressure on a cold start and ruin your engine” said one forum “expert” when talking about the Mercedes recommended oil.
I think i know who you are talking about lol. And talking about Mercedes forums, i see the "you must use Mobil 1 0W40" plastered everywhere as well.

Well that's pretty mild on the Bitog Bash scale. I see a lot of typical ignorance and misinformation but in terms of ripping a new one about Bitog I don't see a lot.
I finally see where Astro14 is coming from! From my Subaru site post #38":

So who knows! But using common sense, it only seems logical to use different oil weights for different climates. BOB IS THE OIL GUY and the associated site posts seem to confirm that.

That's a true statement. I've done enough browsing on this BITOG site in order to come to that conclusion. 😉

So who knows! But using common sense, it only seems logical to use different oil weights for different climates. BOB IS THE OIL GUY and the associated site posts seem to confirm that.

That's a true statement. I've done enough browsing on this BITOG site in order to come to that conclusion. 😉
It’s really a question of anticipated oil temperature during operation. That is what you’re trying to adjust for by selection of different viscosities.

Climate can drive oil temperature, though with oil heat exchangers and coolers, it has less of an impact than it once did.

This anticipated temperature range method of selecting viscosity isn’t a new thing, by the way.

I have a 1932 Veedol lubrication guide, showing me what weight of oil to use depending on the temperature in which the car is going to be driven.

I have to jump in here.

" ... it only seems logical to use different oil weights for different climates."

That quote is based on FAULTY logic, and it's conclusion is INCORRECT.

What is this "Multigrade All Climate oil" we are specified to use?

And most all of use are driving around in vehicles with liquid-cooled engines.

This is not an AC Harley or Royal Enfield we discuss most commonly

This whole thread is a disaster. It gave me a headache reading it.

Goodnight Nurse!

hsHFSHSFA

WHY WONT EDIT TEXT COLOR WORK HERE IT WONT HOLD EVEN IF I CUT AND PASTE!
TECHNOLOGY AND SOFTWARE GLITCH

Last edited:
I have to jump in here.

" ... it only seems logical to use different oil weights for different climates."

That quote is based on FAULTY logic, and it's conclusion is INCORRECT.

What is this "Multigrade All Climate oil" we are specified to use?

And most all of use are driving around in vehicles with liquid-cooled engines.

This is not an AC Harley or Royal Enfield we discuss most commonly

This whole thread is a disaster. It gave me a headache reading it.

Goodnight Nurse!

hsHFSHSFA

WHY WONT EDIT TEXT COLOR WORK HERE IT WONT HOLD EVEN IF I CUT AND PASTE!
TECHNOLOGY AND SOFTWARE GLITCH
So is it TECHNICALLY okay to use 5W30 when the politically biased/corrupted CAFE group says that we should be using 0W20? Please clarify.

So is it TECHNICALLY okay to use 5W30 when the politically biased/corrupted CAFE group says that we should be using 0W20? Please clarify.

The only thing I could say here is that if you sleep better at night knowing you have 30 grade in the crankcase then use it. If you are fidgeting because of 0w20 being in your motor then you might have more serious problems.

I AM gonna "go there". We can't have an individual storming in and dissing contributors to this thread without having the qualifications and/or technical background to do so. Maybe this individual is qualified to chew us out. I don't know.

If this gets me barred from this forum, so be it!

Well, I don’t know you and you don’t know me. We are both just names on a Internet forum.

One of my favorite movie quotes fits in well here.

“Sir, this is the West. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.”

You can substitute Internet in place of West.

The quote is from the movie, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

I AM gonna "go there". We can't have an individual storming in and dissing contributors to this thread without having the qualifications and/or technical background to do so. Maybe this individual is qualified to chew us out. I don't know.

If this gets me barred from this forum, so be it!
His qualifications are at least as good as yours, right?

Do we have any automotive powertrain engineers on this forum anymore? I can’t recall that we do anymore. IMO it would interesting to hear from the actual engineers who designed the engine. The ones who actually use math based equations who come up with every specified detail of the engine, and why they specify a certain oil grade. Alas, engineers of that caliber are almost always under non disclosure or confidentiality contracts with their employer so they can’t go on a public internet forum and start spilling information. Those engineers probably think we’re all crazy lunatics.

Here is one paper on engine design (with a plethora of equations) and there are many more texts on engine design; one can purchase by googling "Internal Combustion Engine Design."

An engine engineer is is usually an advanced degreed mechanical engineer who has also studied materials science and tribology with higher mathematics.

The original question asked back 9 years ago was:

"Has anyone heard of any documented evidence or even credible rumors that someone running 0W20 or 5W20 has had engine damage or increased wear?"

Documented evidence has yet to surface that using 0W20 or 5W20 "has had [caused] engine damage or increased wear?"

"credible rumors" is indeed an oxymoron.

Last edited:
Back