Engine Damage caused from 0W20/5W20?

Can you link it?
Here's one of the passages:

That's actually a pretty bad article. There's some obviously incorrect statements, contradictions, and an awful lot of English errors too. Those significantly hurt credibility in my eyes.

Also, we need the popcorn eating emoji for these types of threads.

Examples:
"According to experts at Subaru, you should change your first motor oil after 3,000 to 4,000 miles." Not correct. Later in the article: "Your first oil and filter change must be at 3,500 miles to 7,500 miles." Not correct and not consistent.
"As one of the best synthetic oil for Subaru, it gives your vehicle superior protection against build-upbuild-up. To clean your engine and prevent build-upbuild-up, the manufacturer used a unique formula. This formula helped in the formulation of a low friction motor oil suited for modern Subaru engines." Build-upbuild-up? The formula helped in formulation?
"All Subaru vehicle models come with natural petroleum-based engine oil. " Not correct.
"They are among the best engine oil for Subaru Outback." Weird wording.
"Besides automotive, Evan Loves traveling, pets, and songs." Very weird wording.

It's odd they keep referring to an "article" not a specific criticism of Bitog. A lot of that text shows up on a lot of websites, I thought maybe someone had a reference to this site in general.

He isn’t wrong if you read some other forums they mention this site a lot and usually in a negative way. One of them was angry because they got banned from this site after one post that had been asked repeatedly and they asked again. I think this is one of the greatest sites ever personally I’ve met lots of helpful people on here.

3FACB9F1-EB74-4EA8-A02F-4C67AF040B2B.jpg

He isn’t wrong if you read some other forums they mention this site a lot and usually in a negative way. One of them was angry because they got banned from this site after one post that had been asked repeatedly and they asked again. I think this is one of the greatest sites ever personally I’ve met lots of helpful people on here.
No, I didn't mean that. I was just interested in reading the criticism in context was all.

And yes there used to be an entire website dedicated to the Land of Misfit Toys.

Has anyone heard of any documented evidence or even credible rumors that someone running 0W20 or 5W20 has had engine damage or increased wear?

Reason I ask, with all the oil change shops changing oil, and misinformed customers, there are an awful lot of people asking about it because a shop put the wrong grade oil in (xW20 instead of xW30).

But I haven't found anyone who has had a shop do it and it actually hurt an engine. Plenty of stories of places like Walmart/Jiffy Lube, etc who did it to a customer for a long time and they never knew until they looked closely at the records and found out much later.

The more I study it, and it is a deep topic, very deep, I would be surprised it would hurt. Unless it is an engine that is either already in sad shape or a just a sloppy built engine.

Anyone?
Our 2019 Toyota Highlander 3,5L V6 threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles with 0W20 Factory Fill. It blew a HG before 5k miles in the second engine. Though I don’t think this is exactly what your looking for

BB6ED29D-0AE2-4F1D-9595-0DBA161E75B7.jpg

I'm at a point where both our Subies are due new oil since it's been 6 months since last change. Before I go out and make the purchase, I sometimes like to go on the web to see if anything new has popped up on the subject of oil.

I came across the following site that has some interesting perspectives on the best oil for Subaru: Top 5 Best Oil Brand for Subaru Review 2021 - Expert Buying Guide & FAQs. Anyway, in their site Q&A section, I came across the following:

Q. Can I use 5W-30 instead of 0W-20?
Answer:
In warm states, Subaru experts recommend using 5W-30 and, in colder states, use 0W-20.

Thoughts? On another forum, this website was pretty much ripped a new one.

Thoughts?

Sure, the site you linked has spelling and grammatical errors along with a ton of ads. It’s not credible. It’s click bait garbage.

Brand specific forums (I’m on several) contain both useful information and ridiculous hearsay and misinformation. People believe weird things about cars, oil, tires, etc. and they spew their lunacy in forums. My favorite: “You can’t use that 0W40 Mobil 1 in your Mercedes, or you won’t get enough oil pressure on a cold start and ruin your engine” said one forum “expert” when talking about the Mercedes recommended oil. He clearly knew more about oil than Mercedes...and clearly “knew” what that “0” meant...LOL...

I wouldn’t believe everything that you read on those forums.

A link to the forum that “ripped” this website would be useful if you would like a specific rebuttal.

Without that link, you’re just bashing BITOG.

Not all opinions have equal weight or merit. Be careful what you believe from among the torrent of misinformation on the internet.

You might have gotten a lemon. Even Toyota turns out a lemon from time to time.
27.gif

yeah we traded it for a 2020 Highlander Hybrid 2.5L. It’s been in the shop 3 times before 5k miles. These are our first two Toyota’s and I don’t think we would buy another

yeah we traded it for a 2020 Highlander Hybrid 2.5L. It’s been in the shop 3 times before 5k miles. These are our first two Toyota’s and I don’t think we would buy another
It happens across every brand. I laugh a lot when brand A gets praise and brand B gets bashed here. Some people seem to think their favorite automaker has never rolled a lemon off the line.

You might have gotten a lemon. Even Toyota turns out a lemon from time to time.
27.gif
Unfortunately Toyota's now have to many Bells and whistles, more things that can break. I very hesitantly have not replaced the Corolla because to many of todays cars have problems I've never had with my 2004. I'm not looking forward to buying a $30 to $40 something thousand dollar problem. To many parts to break or malfunction on these new cars that are expensive and like in ten years will be hard item to even find in the parts chain. I just found out about that with my 2006 Duramax a Door Latch no one had one finally after three weeks they located one in Alaska.

Last edited:
Thoughts?

Sure, the site you linked has spelling and grammatical errors along with a ton of ads. It’s not credible. It’s click bait garbage.

Brand specific forums (I’m on several) contain both useful information and ridiculous hearsay and misinformation. People believe weird things about cars, oil, tires, etc. and they spew their lunacy in forums. My favorite: “You can’t use that 0W40 Mobil 1 in your Mercedes, or you won’t get enough oil pressure on a cold start and ruin your engine” said one forum “expert” when talking about the Mercedes recommended oil. He clearly knew more about oil than Mercedes...and clearly “knew” what that “0” meant...LOL...

A link to the forum that “ripped” this website would be useful if you would like a specific rebuttal.

Not all opinions have equal weight or merit. Be careful what you believe from among the torrent of misinformation on the internet.
I searched for a while yesterday and could not find any one website that contained the entirety of that text. It didn't seem to apply to anything specific IRT Bitog but just random rambling without any connection.

Unfortunately Toyota's now have to many Bells and whistles, more things that can break. I very hesitantly have not replaced the Corolla because to many of todays cars have problems I've never had with my 2004. I'm not looking forward to buying a $30 to $40 something thousand dollar problem. To many parts to break or malfunction on these new cars that are expensive and like in ten years will be hard item to even find in the parts chain. I just found out about that with my 2006 Duramax a Door Latch no one had one finally after three weeks they located one in Alaska.
I hear ya, sometimes less is more.

Funny when I complain about Toyota, and their issues, the fanboys come out to defend them. Good to see others know that they are not perfect.

If you want to see how good a brand is, get a job in a larger dealership service department.

How would you document an engine that blew up with 9.29 cSt oil that would have survived with 9.30 cSt oil?
I'm sure at 2500 break-in miles, the sump was around 7.5 cSt and more importantly ~2.6cp HTHS.
A FMEA on this Toyota engine would be interesting, it may be like Subaru EJ Turbo fiasco a decade ago - a part's washer not flushing and removing hard metallic turnings and chips out of the crank drills after machining.
Or it could be loose oil pickup or over application or misapplication of sealant eventually blocking the oil pickup screen.

I have not found Toyota to be reliable at all - actually the opposite. But my Sample Size was just four vehicles ad that's Not Valid for general consumption.
Takeaway - Listen to your engine - It's telling you something.

If it gets "knocky" when hot < or even before > the oil is likely too thin (barring other manufacturing QC issues)
Dump a quart or two out of the sump and get some of the next grade up in there PRONTO.
if that doesn't help, you likely have an engine built out of spec.
We've had to do this on Subaru EJ253 and VW and Nissans. Some we saved some we couldn't.

The Subaru FB20 is happy as clam on very light 20 grade.
-Ken

Last edited:
Thoughts?
Before I do an oil change, I do a little research on the subject in order to see what's new or what I've missed. So I came across the subject site, found it interesting at face value and thought I'd post it for feedback's sake. It's that simple!

Agree
Rebuttal? I've lost you here! 🙄
Again, you've lost me....don't know where you're coming from.😖 HOWEVER, if it would make your morning coffee go down a little easier, here's the link to the Subaru XV forum thread:
So don't sue me!

Back