End Of The Line For Dodge Challenger and Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorsport where EV excels:
- Drag Racing/stoplight racing
- Some autocross
- Some sprint distance single stage rallys/hillclimbs
- Time attack maybe, I haven't really seen any in this segment despite theoretically being strong

Where they dont:
-Any type of road racing/GT racing
-Any type of endurance racing
-Multi stage rallys(almost all of them)
-All day hot lapping events
-to shorten this list, any motorsport that requires aggressive driving for over 10 minutes.

Indeed. EVs ability to put power down to the pavement is crazy but I can only see them excel in drag racing and a few laps in time attack - but hardly within their own class segment. No matter how good the regen braking or tires are, you can't beat physics; 4,800 pounds is hard to stop and turn for more than a lap or two (queue Nissan GT-R when it was released was a monster on the track but only until the brakes faded and tires overheated after a few laps.) Of course technology will improve where the battery will become more energy dense and the operator may be able to adjust the battery size and placement in the future.

I bet in the next few years you will se a pro class in NHRA for the electrics and I could se then in NASCAR in a few years too..

I bet in the next few years you will se a pro class in NHRA for the electrics and I could se then in NASCAR in a few years too..
I could see the drag strip, it's just a big single energy dump. Dunno about NASCAR, not unless if they allowed battery swaps, or if allowed to turn into watching a bunch of hypermilers attempting to go as slow as possible.

I could see the drag strip, it's just a big single energy dump. Dunno about NASCAR, not unless if they allowed battery swaps, or if allowed to turn into watching a bunch of hypermilers attempting to go as slow as possible.
Well the way NASCAR is now they have mandated stops/segments now. They could do the same and have a way to do a quick battery change if needed.

I love the sensory abuse a Gasoline and especially Nitro burning any class of Boat or "Car" gives me but as EV become popular I am sure the wow they are racing my car appeal will come into play.

As a kid I was hard core into slot cars in the 1960s.
Me too....I was into 1/24th scale slot cars.. Back then most Hobby Shops had a pro track in them to run your slot cars along with the sets you got for Christmas.... A few years ago I sold my Eldon Top Eliminator drag strip set that was in nearly new condition and sold it for a grand.

I've never been in a Tesla, but if the motors made some sort of hum or whine (like a supercharger) that increased with the speed, I could see the engagement returning.
My Prius Prime does the opposite, it makes noise at less than 21 MPH to warn pedestrians.

Toyota chose "metal on metal brakes" for the noise, it's actually quite aggravating.

They all do that to some extent. Ford hauled out the paddles for the 500, GM killed and then brought back the Camaro, Malibu. Maybe we'll see an electric Thunderbird? That's about due for a reincarnation again LOL!
Yes - get her the car and me the F150 … seems to be a thunder and lightning relationship anyway 😷

The panels were used to charge the batteries while parked.
Yes, I'm aware of the function, but the surface area is so small, and the angles so far from ideal that the contribution is essentially meaningless. I explored the math on this in another thread at one point. Power generation is my hobby BTW, so this isn't something I'm wading into here as an amateur.

the cars weigh the same as every other midsize
Yes, their weight gets exaggerated. My E39 M5 wasn't a light car either at ~4,000lbs, none of the large sedans are. My Jeep is significantly heavier, despite, in many respects, being smaller. Curb weight for the GC is ~5,200lbs, though mine is a touch lighter with the sun roof deleted. A base Charger is around the same weight as my old M5 (3,960lbs) but the performance versions, like the Hellkitty, pack on a few hundred more. A 392 is ~900lbs lighter than my Jeep at 4,382lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back