End Of The Line For Dodge Challenger and Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been in a Hell cat Challenger and I really like the car.
A friend of mine had a 392 SRT. I really like it too, but I agree that it is time for them to go. It also weighted almost as much as a 3 row SUV/minivan.

Not too surprising for a line of cars focused on straight-line speed.

They tried a Challenger Demon with race gas, one seat, largely gutted interior, drag radials, a trans brake (and more) on a prepped surface, and it still can’t beat an EV family sedan.

Like it or not, ICE is clearly dead in the performance car segment.

And if the original price of the 2021 Model S Long Range is any guide, they know they can build a car faster than their Charger SRT Hellcat, for less money, with fewer employees, with more range and with better handling.

Last edited:
Don't think many good ole boys will take a shine to silent electric muscle cars. This will just give a boost to Camero and Mustang sales.
I just thought of something. Since Ford already pipes in engine noise through the stereo, we can invent a gizmo that produces that "RAWR!!" V8 engine sound to the outside of the car via a loudspeaker.

Let's patent this!:D

Whether this comes to fruition or not will likely depend on demand. One only has to look at the fact they are still producing the DS RAM 1500 ("Classic") and the WKII (Durango), the latter another shared platform from the Daimler days, and, like the LX cars, a **** good one, which is why it has stuck around for so long.

The shift that is underway is to platforms that can accommodate different powertrains. Like the Mach-e is based on a gasser platform that is EV capable, and the current gen BMW X5 is available in PHEV, these manufacturers are trying to position themselves so that they can offer a range of powertrain options from gas to full EV under the same or similar sheetmetal. PHEV's are increasing in popularity, so that's where most things are headed presented with dedicated EV's as standalone vehicle, even if they share a platform.

The DT RAM for example, was designed for hybrid and EV use, even though we haven't seen that from it yet. The Giulia platform that is now underpinning the new Grand Cherokee (the Wagoneer is based on the DT RAM) is another one that's setup to be able to be PHEV and BEV.

"Legacy" platforms (like the WKII, LX/LC, DS...etc) may have their lives extended (since the tooling is already long paid for) if demand dictates.

But what car will the 'look at me' crowd drive around in with the lime green protectors on their splitters still attached.?

So what about the Chrysler 300? The article makes no mention of the 300 (which is the basis of the Charger and Challenger) but I have to assume that if the two Dodge's are going the OG Chrysler will be going as well.

So what about the Chrysler 300? The article makes no mention of the 300 (which is the basis of the Charger and Challenger) but I have to assume that if the two Dodge's are going the OG Chrysler will be going as well.
Covered in a previous thread. It as been mentioned.

If politicians had any brains or intelligence we would keep our energy independence and phase in electricial vehicles.Even hybrids would be a smarter choice.In extreme cold weather and and hot weather power companies can't keep up demand always asking for conserving any way you can.Can't recall where I saw the video but a small company had built a prototype of a four door all electric sedan where solar panels were the hood,top and trunk.It was a clean design and didn't look like an add on or after thought.I thought now there's a great idea.I wish Chrysler all the luck in their new endeavor.

If politicians had any brains or intelligence we would keep our energy independence and phase in electricial vehicles.Even hybrids would be a smarter choice.In extreme cold weather and and hot weather power companies can't keep up demand always asking for conserving any way you can.Can't recall where I saw the video but a small company had built a prototype of a four door all electric sedan where solar panels were the hood,top and trunk.It was a clean design and didn't look like an add on or after thought.I thought now there's a great idea.I wish Chrysler all the luck in their new endeavor.
The solar panels add almost zero range, that's why nobody has bothered pursuing that. It's one of those things that looks massively more useful than it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back