ecoboost oil change plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Expedition w/ 3.5 eco, 20k miles on it now. I did the first oil change and thought it was a huge pain in the butt due to the oil filter location, so I decided to let the dealership that I bought it from change it. Well they make more of a mess than I do and never put the correct oil in it. So when I get the car home I have to clean up all the oil they left in the oil filter catch tray so it doesn't drip on the garage floor, and sometimes they put in 5-20 and sometimes 5-30 (calls for 5-30) So I have since decided that if I'm going to have to clean up the oil when I get home from letting them change it, I might as well change it myself.

So this is my plan...Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 with a Fram Ultra oil filter, change the oil every 5k and the filter every 10k. I figure this way I'm only changing the filter every other oil change so I don't have to make the mess every time. And I'm figuring 5k on the change cause this is my wife's car and it sees a lot of short tips, stop and go and idling. What's the thought on this plan? Yes, no maybe so?

Also call Ford corporate and ask them why they designed an engine that even their trained mechanics can't successfully change the oil without leaving a huge mess.

I would be ticked.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My mom has the 2.0 EcoBoost in her 2014 Fusion. I do the oil changes every 5K with Mobil 1 0W40 and a Motorcraft FL-910S filter.

Just curious, you don't feel the Motorcraft 5W-30 is ok for 5,000 mile oil changes in a Ecoboost engine? My wife's 2017 Explorer with the 2.3L Ecoboost has the 7 year 125,000 mile Ford extended warranty which I assume requires the Ford spec oil to "satisfy" the warranty requirements, not necessarily Motorcraft oil but an oil meeting their spec. I may be wrong but the Ford spec oils for this engine are all 5W-30's.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: sixsix
2015 Expedition w/ 3.5 eco, 20k miles on it now. I did the first oil change and thought it was a huge pain in the butt due to the oil filter location, so I decided to let the dealership that I bought it from change it. Well they make more of a mess than I do and never put the correct oil in it. So when I get the car home I have to clean up all the oil they left in the oil filter catch tray so it doesn't drip on the garage floor, and sometimes they put in 5-20 and sometimes 5-30 (calls for 5-30) So I have since decided that if I'm going to have to clean up the oil when I get home from letting them change it, I might as well change it myself.

So this is my plan...Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 with a Fram Ultra oil filter, change the oil every 5k and the filter every 10k. I figure this way I'm only changing the filter every other oil change so I don't have to make the mess every time. And I'm figuring 5k on the change cause this is my wife's car and it sees a lot of short tips, stop and go and idling. What's the thought on this plan? Yes, no maybe so?

Sounds like a good plan. I'd also suggest getting an UOA done (Polaris) to see what the current health is while its "young".

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My mom has the 2.0 EcoBoost in her 2014 Fusion. I do the oil changes every 5K with Mobil 1 0W40 and a Motorcraft FL-910S filter.

Just curious, you don't feel the Motorcraft 5W-30 is ok for 5,000 mile oil changes in a Ecoboost engine? My wife's 2017 Explorer with the 2.3L Ecoboost has the 7 year 125,000 mile Ford extended warranty which I assume requires the Ford spec oil to "satisfy" the warranty requirements, not necessarily Motorcraft oil but an oil meeting their spec. I may be wrong but the Ford spec oils for this engine are all 5W-30's.

Whimsey

O its fine. I just have a metric s-ton of 0W40 and have no plans to get the engine in my 95 Mustang back together anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Personally I make it a point to never buy a vehicle where it's a PITA to change the oil and filter. But I like your idea of using an Ultra filter. I use the Fram Pro Synthetic clone.

Yeah checking the oil filter location is something I didn't do before I bought it. We had a Ford Flex with the 3.5 NA motor and that one was stupid easy to change the oil on, so I just assumed that the filter would be in the same spot as that one as it's the same engine just with the addition of 2 turbos.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Also call Ford corporate and ask them why they designed an engine that even their trained mechanics can't successfully change the oil without leaving a huge mess.

I would be ticked.
I am sure the trained mechanics do not work at the quick change area.

Don't use a synthetic blend in a turbo engine. See Mobil's comparison in a test designed to illustrate hot turbo bearing and piston ring coking:

mobil-1-annual-protection-sludge-control.jpg

Your Fram Ultra choice is perfect, up to 15,000 miles on that one.

2015 Expedition w/ 3.5 eco, 20k miles on it now. (calls for 5-30)

So this is my plan...Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 with a Fram Ultra oil filter, change the oil every 5k and the filter every 10k.

Sounds like a good plan to me. You could probably get 3 changes out of that filter if you wanted.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How come all the big trucks with air cooled turbos run conventional oils?
They're (mostly) running 15W40 HDEOs (with some 10W30 HDEO), also many of them have engine shutoff timers to cool the turbo down before shut down. Believe the oil does most of the cooling on those too.

FU is one fantastic filter and can surely go the distance in your Expedition.
If you are at all concerned with satisfying the Ford warranty requirements, you have to change the oil filter with each oil change.
Steve

I change my oil and don't have any issues. Putting the front end up on a ramp ensures the oil coming out of the filter only drains one direction off the IFS assembly (towards the rear). A quick rag wipe-up afterwards and I'm GTG.

Your plan sounds like a good starting point. I recommend doing a UOA after 5,000 miles and seeing how your driving condition align with oil wear. You might be able to push the OCI out to track with the computer recommendations. The Magnatec seems to be a great oil for these engines, but any oil is at risk with excessive fuel dilution.

Post back with your results!

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
That would depend on the ratio of the blend... Right?

It would also depend on how liberal one is with the word "synthetic" ... That Mobil1 test is pure marketing. HDEO's run 25,000 miles between changes in rugged turbo use. If the turbo drain is installed correctly (straight down) they will not coke if you even do minimum cool-down ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back