Dumb question of the day 2 cycle oil in the sump of oil burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question of the day 2 cycle oil or non detergent oil in the sump of extreme oil burners.

I do not own a car like this but notice many owners who have a Gen III Prius that burns a quart every 500 or less miles
And if they don’t take extreme measures cleaning, using catch cans etc the cars blow head gaskets or suffer broken components from everything coking up and knock.

In this circumstance would they be better off using clean burning synthetic 2 stroke in the sump?

Or even old non-detergent since it burns better?

Just curious since the issues seem to be from damage caused by the byproducts of burning the oil not from the leaky rings themselves

You can try 2-cycle as a gasoline additive, tcw3 version. People have done that for better fuel economy and as an upper cylinder lubricant. Look in the fuel additive section on this forum.

I wouldn't put it in the motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
2-cycle in the sump?
C'mon man... NO!!

Just NO!!

I guess given many of those motors blow up in 5000 miles of extreme oil burning setting in
wink.gif

What of old 30 wt, some of my old 2 cycles call for normal non detergent sae 30 wt oil
And the fill period is probably 500 miles given the extreme burn rate.

Just having a little fun with mental masturbation on an issue that usually has no good ending anyway.

Curious if scoring out the motor from the wrong oil would cause failure faster than the 50/50 chance of a 5000 mile lifespan during the death throws of the oil burner

Originally Posted By: vincent714028
You can try 2-cycle as a gasoline additive, tcw3 version. People have done that for better fuel economy and as an upper cylinder lubricant. Look in the fuel additive section on this forum.

I wouldn't put it in the motor oil.

If chamber deposits are that bad, the detergents will help the most. I would give it a shot.

Certain engines are known to burn extravagant amounts of oil while lasting for a very long time as long as oil is added as needed.
If I had an extreme burner, I'd try chemical methods to free up what are likely coked rings and/or oil drain holes in the piston ring lands.
I can't see two stroke oil in the crankcase of a four stroke working out very well, but I could be wrong.
My personal opinion is that really high consumption is typically a product of coked up rings and can be remediated with the appropriate solvents without a teardown but I have yet to face the opportunity or necessity of testing my theory and likely never will.

One possible answer might be aviation oil, such as Aeroshell 15W-50.

It's increased viscosity will help with consumption (the 15W-50 is rather thin for an aviation oil) and it is designed to be consumed (burned) without leaving deposits.

Air cooled aircraft engines often consume a quart of oil every 5 to 8 hours. Some engines like my Cessna 177RG consume more and burn about a quart every 3 to 4 hours, especially during the FL and GA summers.

NOTE: There are a number of older Prius owners who have switched to 20W-50 automotive oil in an attempt at reducing the oil consumption, with generally good results.

Last edited:
I thought of doing this to get a Renault 5, failed for "visible smoke" through a UK MOT test. This would have been for the test duration only. 2 - stroke oils are intended for total loss systems and may not hold up well in a recirculating system.

In practice I cleaned out the crankcase ventilator and added Wynns viscosity improver to the oil, but I also changed the MOT tester, which may have been the fix.

Cars electrics burned out a couple of years later, so I dunno if it was a developing problem or just a glitch.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

NOTE: There are a number of older Prius owners who have switched to 20W-50 automotive oil in an attempt at reducing the oil consumption, with generally good results.

I would believe that, I've often seen reduced oil consumption on thick oils like 20W50.

It might not work out well with a journal bearing, but with a ball/roller bearing engine it wouldn't be so bad. I know, because I've done it. In a absence of available oil, I put 2 stroke in an old British single. A ball and roller bottom end, same as a 2 stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back