Dumb Question? M1 5W-30 AP vs M1 5W-30 EP - Why chose one over the other?

Actually EP is on rollback right now at Wally’s. The price is in the mid $20 range. Take advantage of sales or promos.

I am running AP now that I got on sale but will switch to EP on the next oil change.

MUCH cheaper (EP) at Walmart even if all the AP is gone.
My Auto Zone is one extreme or the other … over priced or on clearance …
Walmart is fairly priced year round … and has a wide spread of good motor oils …
For whatever reason they don’t seem to go overboard with other drive line lubricants …

AP was likely a slightly more robust formulation, but they couldn't sell it at the price they wanted. The additional additives in AP made it too costly for the market to bear.

EP is so good as is (looks like it hasn't been reformulated since 2017) that they apparently didn't need to make any changes to it to meet the SP/GF-6 spec. They also have a lot of data on this oil I'm sure since EP has been their flagship oil now for quite some time.

I've have noticed over the years that XOM stays ahead of the curve on formulations.

As promised, Mobil's Response to my question:
__________________________________________________________________________________

Kirk,

Thanks for writing to us. While there are some slight formulation differences, the most important difference is going to be availability. Mobil 1 Annual Protection has never really been a big seller during its 3-1/2 years on the market, and is in the process of being discontinued.

Mobil 1 Extended performance has been very successful for years as a 15,000 mile oil, and is taking over as a 20,000 mile oil this year. This upgrade comes with no changes to the formulation, but rather is based on years of in-engine testing. The conclusion was that the previously recommended 15,000 mile interval was too conservative for the capabilities of the product, leading to the upgrade of both the labels and the warranty this year.

Now, if you find a retailer closing out their inventory of Mobil 1 Annual Protection and you can get a great deal on it, this could be a good opportunity, but once stocks run out, I don't see it coming back anytime soon.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
JIm
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil

If you would like to provide feedback on your experience with us today, please email [email protected]
On Sun, 6 Sep at 3:08 PM , Kohnen@Nah. wrote:
Form Data
First Name: Kirk
Last Name: Kohnen
Company:
Email address: Nah.
Phone Number: Nah.
Product Name: Mobil 1™ Annual Protection 5W-30
Question: It seems to me that you have two 20,000 mile synthetic oils that work in my car (2015 Chevy Volt, 35,000 miles): Mobil 1™ Annual Protection 5W-30 Mobil 1™ Extended Performance 5W-30 The both appear to meet the same technical requirements, they both claim that they're good to 20,000 miles or one year, the both meet my car's required Dexos 1 specification. So, what is the difference between the two oils? Is one preferred over the other, or should I simply purchase and use the less expensive oil?

Did
As promised, Mobil's Response to my question:
__________________________________________________________________________________

Kirk,

Thanks for writing to us. While there are some slight formulation differences, the most important difference is going to be availability. Mobil 1 Annual Protection has never really been a big seller during its 3-1/2 years on the market, and is in the process of being discontinued.

Mobil 1 Extended performance has been very successful for years as a 15,000 mile oil, and is taking over as a 20,000 mile oil this year. This upgrade comes with no changes to the formulation, but rather is based on years of in-engine testing. The conclusion was that the previously recommended 15,000 mile interval was too conservative for the capabilities of the product, leading to the upgrade of both the labels and the warranty this year.

Now, if you find a retailer closing out their inventory of Mobil 1 Annual Protection and you can get a great deal on it, this could be a good opportunity, but once stocks run out, I don't see it coming back anytime soon.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
JIm
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil

If you would like to provide feedback on your experience with us today, please email [email protected]

Did not know Mobil 1 Annual Protection was around for 3.5 years.

I did have the opportunity to get the M1 EP, I took the STP out of the equation for oil and went to Walmart. Choice was between Supertech Synthetic, M1 EP, and a third oil. I ended up going another way and purchasing Castrol Edge 0W-40, rather than the M1 EP which would have been 5W-30, and that only because I was steered that way by a different base and review of someone else's result with said oil. Maybe I will top off with M1 EP if it is needed. My oil needed to be changed after two years and seldom used car and it was dirty so I cannot say that the oil felt better or worse than anything else, new oil makes engine run smoother, sure.

I think it cost the same as M1 EP on rollback and I do wonder if M1 EP is available in a 0W-40, or if the only M1 0W-40 is their regular synthetic they label Euro Formula.

And now, this thread dies a slow, painless death, drifting off, eroded by the sands of time, and all but forgotten. In several decades, perhaps a century or two, it will be uncovered by some digital archaeologist wondering how we dealt with motor oil back in the early 21st century.

RIP my dear threadly friend!

Back