DUI checkpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, I worked pretty late. I'm working on a remodel of a couple of bathrooms at a medical clinic, and after hours and weekends are the only time we can do it. Finishes are going in tomorrow afternoon.

Right in front of the clinic, the police were setting up a checkpoint. It ran from about 7 pm to 11 pm. I was surprised how many customers they got. I saw at least six cars being towed, and I was working most of the time.

I actually feel sympathetic toward some of the drivers, since a DUI is a very big deal, but I don't condone impaired driving. I feel no sympathy for the hardcore repeat offenders, but I feel a little bad for a guy who just had too much wine at dinner.

On the other hand... I had a friend who was a San Diego Harbor Police Officer. I actually played in a church band with him for several years. One night, while he was working an accident scene, he was hit by a drunk driver. The driver managed to ignore all the flashing lights, flares, cones, etc., and knocked him fifty or so feet down the road. My friend survived, but it was a career ending injury. Wrecked one knee, broke his shoulder, and a number of other things. His recovery was long and painful, and of course he'll never be the same.

So, some people are going to spend this holiday season going to court, paying impound fees, and retaining lawyers, but hopefully less people will be hit by drunk drivers.

I'm not for drunk driving but police check points bother the snot out of me.

I do not think a Policeman should have the right to take one second of my time without any indication I am breaking the law.

Second, if am totally sober and put one beer in my car and drive down the road drinking it. A cop stops me, without seeing me drinking, he sees the beer and I say "yes, I'm drinking one beer". I don't see why that's a crime.

I'm not drunk, I cannot get drunk, but it's a crime. It's like being stopped with a gun and no ammo but being charged for attempting to murder someone with the gun that can't shoot.

I doubt anyone will agree with me. I just like my freedom.

The checkpoint scenario, the adversarial nature of it, etc. does bother me. Particularly since there are so many fully capable of knowing our limits, not driving impaired, and being careful. However, there are so many incapable of that, who do cause damage. There is no good middle ground. Loss of liberty for a supposed benefit to society, or, a free for all where you know a decent fraction will be incompetent.

In my opinion, the more DUI checkpoints the better.

You're right -- a DUI is a very big deal. This is exactly the way it should be.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

I do not think a Policeman should have the right to take one second of my time without any indication I am breaking the law.

Second, if am totally sober and put one beer in my car and drive down the road drinking it. A cop stops me, without seeing me drinking, he sees the beer and I say "yes, I'm drinking one beer". I don't see why that's a crime.

I'm not drunk, I cannot get drunk, but it's a crime. It's like being stopped with a gun and no ammo but being charged for attempting to murder someone with the gun that can't shoot.

Well, in this case they can take a breath test if they really were that concerned. Plus, open booze in the car is asking for trouble. Cop might not think you're drunk, but a fool instead.. Granted, I do understand where you are coming from. While I would agree maybe ten years ago, people just seem to get dumber.....

Every year, they fake a roadworks scene on the highway near here (major artery between the city and country, then using the fact that it's no longer a highway speed limit, set up a DUI/drug checkpoint, and pull up every single car for 3-6 days.

join long single line of vehicles, pull in, get a roadworthy check, breath test, and cheek swab...

4,500 random breath tests in 2012, and I think they charged less than 5 people with drink driving (over 0.05).

I personally think it's less about law enforcement than getting people used to being stopped and having their papers checked.

I used to be for them until a judge told me she was against them. I was surprised! She said it would make more sense to have each cop sit on a bar and catch DUIs at the source rather than inconvenience hundreds of people. She said checkpoints are just a publicity stunt to make it look like cops are "doing something."

John

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

I would agree to disagree. I've lost two friends to drunk driving over the last twenty years. Checkpoints are a waste of time. Officers are best served when they are able to be "everywhere".

It's not just up to the officers...it is up to us as well. Two years ago I got someone arrested that night....and the guy knew it was me. He actually threatened both me and my family. It sucked until they put him in jail. He claims I ruined his life. Too bad, we all make choices in life. After watching him blow red light after red light, it was just a short matter of time before he would have killed people.

What if it would have been my wife on her way home from work? While years ago one might have made it home, the population is much bigger now, which means a better chance for something very bad to happen.

I'm not going through this again....

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Every year, they fake a roadworks scene on the highway near here (major artery between the city and country, then using the fact that it's no longer a highway speed limit, set up a DUI/drug checkpoint, and pull up every single car for 3-6 days.

join long single line of vehicles, pull in, get a roadworthy check, breath test, and cheek swab...

4,500 random breath tests in 2012, and I think they charged less than 5 people with drink driving (over 0.05).

I personally think it's less about law enforcement than getting people used to being stopped and having their papers checked.

What are they checking for with a cheek swab?

Cheek swab.......DNA. You are then put in a data base to check for offenders. I would refuse a swab test. Get a warrent. One more step for big brother.

I agree whole heartedly
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Cheek swab.......DNA. You are then put in a data base to check for offenders. I would refuse a swab test. Get a warrent. One more step for big brother.

I don't think it works like that in the land down under- where Shannow is from.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I would agree to disagree. I've lost two friends to drunk driving over the last twenty years. Checkpoints are a waste of time. Officers are best served when they are able to be "everywhere".

It's not just up to the officers...it is up to us as well. Two years ago I got someone arrested that night....and the guy knew it was me. He actually threatened both me and my family. It sucked until they put him in jail. He claims I ruined his life. Too bad, we all make choices in life. After watching him blow red light after red light, it was just a short matter of time before he would have killed people.

What if it would have been my wife on her way home from work? While years ago one might have made it home, the population is much bigger now, which means a better chance for something very bad to happen.

I'm not going through this again....

The guy ruined his own life. He chose to drive drunk.
You chose to care about the other drivers on the road who could be this idiots next victim. Good on ya.
Now just to be clear I'm not for this tattletale stuff as a whole however if someone's actions are as such that they could potentially hurt someone else then it's a persons duty to stop them whether it's calling the cops or however you gotta do it.
I consider that being your brothers keeper.
I used to drink incessantly fir decades. What finally did it for me was the fact I started losing time upon waking up.
So I could realistically t-bone a family filled minivan on their way somewhere and wouldn't remember a thing about it the next morning,and that's something I just couldn't live with. I was out of control and on a collision course with a life ruining evening without a doubt.
So I quit drinking.
And don't miss it in the least.

That's why they have judges at some of the checkpoints.

The State of Texas determined that Sobriety Checkpoints were a clear violation of the 4th Amendment.

They are technically not "Sobriety Checkpoints" anymore. They are "homeland security" checkpoints.

So far, they have netted exactly zero dangerous terrorists. But just happened upon many impaired drivers.

That's a big no go here. I would have no problem with a swab if it was for sobriety reasons and I was able to take it with me when the test was done.

That's why they have judges at some of the checkpoints.

Judges at checkpoints, that's way too far wrong.

Cheek swabs? never heard of that.

At the rare checkpoints here, they just talk to you at your window for a little bit and send you on your way if you seem fine.

They would never take the time to breathalyze everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back