DUI checkpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Cheek swab.......DNA. You are then put in a data base to check for offenders. I would refuse a swab test. Get a warrent. One more step for big brother.

Nah, it's for drug impairment. Cheek swab, dip back into container, wait and see if lines go blue, indicating weed, amphetamines, whatever else...at least with a cheek swab it's actual impairment, not what people did last Friday.

There are in all the workplaces now, either randomly or everyday.

Some of the coal mines are quite cynical, in that office staff do urine tests, and miners do swabs...

DNA...that's another swab for another day, but every 5 years or so, there's a push to bust open the heel [censored] cards that they've kept on every individual born in the country for decades.

Originally Posted By: mount
they just talk to you at your window for a little bit and send you on your way if you seem fine.
They would never take the time to breathalyze everyone.

Here they hold the tester in the window, say count to 10, or name and address, takes less time than having a little talk.

They ramp up the check points this time of year, Xmas is summer time here. Work parties, BBQ and just p*ssups in general, there are a lot of people who have been drinking on the road. We have check points in the morning too, catching those driving to work after the night before. They have just lowered the alcohol limit here, now we have to be as sober as those tea totalling Aussies, there will be good revenue gathering for a few months until it sinks in.

I didn't know they had cheek swabs that were effective for determining recent maryjane usage. There were a lot of news reports about how they were going to enforce THC impaired driving in Colorado and Washington and there was no mention of this possibility, to my knowledge.

I've only blown into a breathalyzer once, and that was in Victoria(Australia) in 1999 on a remote stretch of road between two towns at about 11AM, at a checkpoint.

The drug swabs are used widely here too. I've had a couple (negative, in case you're wondering!). IF you return a positive reading, you're taken to the nearest hospital to give a blood sample, and a few weeks later you're notified of the result - from there, you're off to court.

Random Breath Test (RBT) sites are common, especially on Friday and Saturday nights and early in the morning. I work shifts, so come across them all the time. What's the big deal? Hand over your licence, blow in the machine, they have a quick look at lights, tyres, registration, and you're gone in about a minute. Maybe 5 minutes if you're chosen for a drug swab. I'm a law abiding citizen, but not everyone else is, and if these RBT's keep drunk or drug affected drivers off the road and stop them ruining people's lives, good! Unfortunately, we have to cater for the lowest common denominator...

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: mount
they just talk to you at your window for a little bit and send you on your way if you seem fine.
They would never take the time to breathalyze everyone.

They have just lowered the alcohol limit here, now we have to be as sober as those tea totalling Aussies, there will be good revenue gathering for a few months until it sinks in.

Has your limit been dropped from .08 to .05? That will definitely catch a few people out!

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I've only blown into a breathalyzer once, and that was in Victoria(Australia) in 1999 on a remote stretch of road between two towns at about 11AM, at a checkpoint.

My first ever was when my licence had been valid for an hour and 20 minutes.

Being a Christmas baby, I wrangled my licence test for the 24th, with licence dated 25th, so drove to midnight mass on learner's plates, and home on my licence.

Have no idea why they were staking out a remote church to get families driving home from midnight mass, but they did.

Those days (30 years ago) it was "blow into the bag" through a glass tube with crystals in it...if crystals changed colour, it was hop in the van and go for a blood test.

Nowadays, as Silk attested, it's a talk over the machine, count to ten...if it detects alcohol, then the calibrated machine is brought out to blow through the straw.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The checkpoint scenario, the adversarial nature of it, etc. does bother me. Particularly since there are so many fully capable of knowing our limits, not driving impaired, and being careful. However, there are so many incapable of that, who do cause damage. There is no good middle ground. Loss of liberty for a supposed benefit to society, or, a free for all where you know a decent fraction will be incompetent.

I avoid East Orange. They used to love love love them some checkpoints. I no longer drive there.. though I am unsure if they still do. They probably do.

They also tow cars for no insurance CARD (yes, you read that right) and they also run every plate for warrants. Any and everything. Light out? Pull over. Ticket.. etc etc. No inspection sticker? TOW. Etc etc etc.. three tow trucks waiting by whenever they do. Uh huh. We know why.. They play for keeps.

And yes, they are disrespectful.

I know the roads pretty well, so, if I see traffic back up in an area where traffic should be moving and there is "no way out," I bust a U-ie..

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Cheek swab.......DNA. You are then put in a data base to check for offenders. I would refuse a swab test. Get a warrent. One more step for big brother.

That's why they have judges at some of the checkpoints.

I have to ask... WHERE? ?

I was in Vermont driving up Route 7, heading to the "lamp shop". Its' a well known store that sells oil, kerosene and other old style lamps. We were delayed at the drunk checkpoint for a very long time, simply waiting in line. By the time I made it through, the store was closed and I have never had time to return. The store was literally in sight of the drunk stop. It took me 3 days to drive to Vermont to get to this store. They were closed on Sunday and I needed to return to work on Monday. The consequences of their actions were stunningly annoying.

Nobody cares except me. AND I'M STILL MAD ABOUT IT. I wasted so much time and money.

What right does government have to de facto detain me? Especially when it's a 4th amdt. violation. Answer, none. In fact we have "free and unrestricted travel" in this country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

I avoid East Orange. They used to love love love them some checkpoints. I no longer drive there.. though I am unsure if they still do. They probably do.

They also tow cars for no insurance CARD (yes, you read that right) and they also run every plate for warrants. Any and everything. Light out? Pull over. Ticket.. etc etc. No inspection sticker? TOW. Etc etc etc.. three tow trucks waiting by whenever they do. Uh huh. We know why.. They play for keeps.

And yes, they are disrespectful.

I know the roads pretty well, so, if I see traffic back up in an area where traffic should be moving and there is "no way out," I bust a U-ie..

So what you are saying is if you are pulled over at a checkpoint for a DUI inspection, and while performing that check the Police find you have some kind of vehicle violation, you get ticketed or towed for that? Shocking. The nerve of them to write you a ticket or tow your car because you are in violation of the law.

Some people just make me laugh the way they get so outraged because they did something wrong and get in trouble for it.
crackmeup2.gif

Bottom line, don't drink and drive and you don't have to worry about any checkpoints. A little time out of your life waiting in line is not the end of the world. If they nail ONE drunk, just ONE, who might otherwise hurt or kill someone they are worth it. And if you don't want a ticket or don't want your vehicle towed inspect and register your vehicle properly, have your insurance card, etc.... Simple.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the more DUI checkpoints the better.

You're right -- a DUI is a very big deal. This is exactly the way it should be.

I am with you 100%!
01.gif

I also wish when people are caught driving drunk they would be penalized a lot more harshly. Mandatory jail time, a HUGE fine, and loss of license for say 1-2 years minimum on the FIRST offense not only after multiple DUI's. Get caught twice and you are done behind the wheel period.

I have zero tolerance for anyone who takes even one drink and then drives. No excuse for it. If you will get behind the wheel leave the booze alone and that includes just 1 glass of wine at diner. Again, no excuse for it. IF you want to drink do it at home or have a DD.

Last edited:
The issue is being stopped and searched for no reason....yes, smelling your breath or asking personal questions constitutes a search.

But it is all done in the name of public safety.

And of course the first response to someone who is against random check points is...

"So you are for drunk driving?"
"What have you got to hide if you are not doing anything wrong?"

From there the debate will go on.

These checkpoints are not allowed here in MN. The State Supreme Court has ruled that checkpoints are a 4th amendment violation. The police need reasonable suspicion to stop you, and setting up a checkpoint certainly does not provide reasonable suspicion.

Instead of checkpoints, they run what they call a "DWI Task Force". Essentially what they do is target a certain area and flood that area with extra officers. Then they pull over people for any minor violation they can find. This gives them reasonable suspicion to make a traffic stop, and seems to be quite productive in getting drunk drivers off the road.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
In my opinion, the more DUI checkpoints the better.

You're right -- a DUI is a very big deal. This is exactly the way it should be.

I am with you 100%!
01.gif

I also wish when people are caught driving drunk they would be penalized a lot more harshly. Mandatory jail time, a HUGE fine, and loss of license for say 1-2 years minimum on the FIRST offense not only after multiple DUI's. Get caught twice and you are done behind the wheel period.

I have zero tolerance for anyone who takes even one drink and then drives. No excuse for it. If you will get behind the wheel leave the booze alone and that includes just 1 glass of wine at diner. Again, no excuse for it. IF you want to drink do it at home or have a DD.

Been through a few of them. Every drunk they catch is one less I have to worry about.

Sometimes I'll sit nearby and watch. Lots of LOLs. (Almost as funny as watching a prostitution sting at work.)

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I'm not for drunk driving but police check points bother the snot out of me.

I do not think a Policeman should have the right to take one second of my time without any indication I am breaking the law.

Second, if am totally sober and put one beer in my car and drive down the road drinking it. A cop stops me, without seeing me drinking, he sees the beer and I say "yes, I'm drinking one beer". I don't see why that's a crime.

I'm not drunk, I cannot get drunk, but it's a crime. It's like being stopped with a gun and no ammo but being charged for attempting to murder someone with the gun that can't shoot.

I doubt anyone will agree with me. I just like my freedom.

Drinking one beer while driving is not a crime. It's a liquor offence.

I appreciate you like your freedom but our society is governed by laws. Driving is a privelege, not a right. I would expect that when I drive my car on the road, that I can and should do so safely.

You do have freedom. You just don't realize it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Every year, they fake a roadworks scene on the highway near here (major artery between the city and country, then using the fact that it's no longer a highway speed limit, set up a DUI/drug checkpoint, and pull up every single car for 3-6 days.

join long single line of vehicles, pull in, get a roadworthy check, breath test, and cheek swab...

4,500 random breath tests in 2012, and I think they charged less than 5 people with drink driving (over 0.05).

I personally think it's less about law enforcement than getting people used to being stopped and having their papers checked.

+ 1,000

Originally Posted By: Plumber
The issue is being stopped and searched for no reason....yes, smelling your breath or asking personal questions constitutes a search.

But it is all done in the name of public safety.

And of course the first response to someone who is against random check points is...

"So you are for drunk driving?"
"What have you got to hide if you are not doing anything wrong?"

From there the debate will go on.

If you have not been drinking what do you have to fear from a checkpoint? How is it a big violation of anyone's rights? If you haven't been drinking then you wait in line for a few minutes, get a quick check, and you move on with your life. What is the big deal?

Again, if the checkpoint gets just a single drunk off the road isn't that a good thing? What if the drunk is the guy behind you that without the checkpoint tries to pass you later and runs you off the road? What if the drunk they don't get because checkpoints are no longer allowed is a woman in the other lane that crosses the road and hits your wife's vehicle head on killing her and your kids? Would you still be against checkpoints knowing they might have prevented those tragedies?

I am not trying to be preachy or a jerk here. I really just don't get the outrage over checkpoints? It truly is as simple as don't drink and then get behind the wheel. As long as you haven't had a drink and then drive checkpoints are nothing but a momentary inconvenience that serves all of us in a positive manner. And there is a reason we have them to deal with in the 1st place. That reason is too many morons that DO drive under the influence.

Sorry, I just don't get it. We aren't taking being water boarded to inform on a neighbor or something.
21.gif

Last edited:
Around here, DUI checkpoints are always announced in advance.
I believe that state law requires this.
OTOH, a sufficient number of DUI convictions will buy you felony time in Ohio and intoxication is always an aggravating factor in any traffic accident resulting in injury or death, which would likely lead to a felony conviction and prison time.
The real danger lies with career drunks who drive drunk on a regular basis.
Sooner or later something will happen and innocent folks may end up seriously injured or dead.
I have seen non-habitual drunks end up in prison as a consequence of a one-time drunken event where they got into an accident and killed someone, but most of those who end up in prison were practicing alcoholics.
Some would say that treatment should be applied rather than imprisonment.
Treatment can be mandated for prison inmates, though and at least those who are doing time aren't out there on the roads endangering our families.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back