Drain and refill fluid substitute for Toyota WS?

I’m new to the world of servicing automatic transmissions. I just bought a 2009 Scion with the U241E four-speed auto. It has 120k miles and I think it’s time for new fluid. The manual specs Toyota WS fluid, which is $$$. For the final fill I will likely use Valvoline Maxlife but I want to do several short interval drains before the final fill. Rural King sells a Dexron 3 equivalent fluid at $27 for a two gallon jug so I could potentially circle a whole bunch of fluid through cheaply. Walmart sells their Supertech Dexron 6 for $20 a gallon. Is either any better or worse for a short interval fill?

Or should I just spend the extra bucks and use Maxlife for the whole thing? Does it matter? Am I overthinking this?

Instead of using lower cost ATF fluid and change in multiple short intervals, just use the recommended fluid and change every 40k-50k. It meets your cost saving objective, save time especially if there is no dipstick, guarantee quality, and you don’t waste ATF.

There are some school of thoughts that any tranny not serviced within 100k mile should be left alone unless the current owner know it wasn’t neglected or abused. The car is 15 years old and may be in original ATF. Take a few drops sample after a drive to see if it is brown or with burnt smell.

I recommend you just pay the money and purchase Toyota WS, I have seen multiple times where using multi-vehicle ATF has caused issues in Toyota WS transmissions.

Most recent service interval was 60K with WS. Fluid was still cherry red (not says that’s definitive in any way).

I have used the Aisin type WS. I suspect they're the maker of the Toyota branded WS. That was a few years ago, but Rock Auto had a decent price at that time. Beck/Arnley also sells a WS for less $.

Is WS really that expensive?

I changed over to HPL in my Tundra, which specs WS. The AMSOIL worked well, the HPL works well, and I do a complete change, which in the truck takes 14 quarts.

Those were expensive (and worth it) but I think you could get the WS at the dealer for much less. I see Aisin WS on Rockauto for about $7.50/quart.

I recommend you just pay the money and purchase Toyota WS, I have seen multiple times where using multi-vehicle ATF has caused issues in Toyota WS transmissions.
I have noticed some will exhibit torque converter shudder....but not right away. And the RWD ones are more prone to it.

Is WS really that expensive?

I changed over to HPL in my Tundra, which specs WS. The AMSOIL worked well, the HPL works well, and I do a complete change, which in the truck takes 14 quarts.

Those were expensive (and worth it) but I think you could get the WS at the dealer for much less. I see Aisin WS on Rockauto for about $7.50/quart.
It’s $16 a quart plus tax at the two closest dealers. Cheaper than a rebuild for sure, but it’s just difficult for me to imagine the OEM branded fluid is anything special, even for Toyota.

I found a four quart bundle on Amazon for $40 so I ordered one. We’ll see.

I have used Valvoline Maxlife ATF for the transmission in a formerly owned 2007 Highlander 4 cyl without any issue.
You can use the transmission return line from the radiator to drain flush the system EASILY.
Check Youtube for direction, there are a lot of video on how to do it.
You probably need about 10-12 quarts of ATF.

I personally use the Maxlife ATF from first fill but if you can find a cheaper ATF, you can use it for the initial fill of 4 quarts to be pump out.
Then use whatever ATF you want to use.

I have noticed some will exhibit torque converter shudder....but not right away. And the RWD ones are more prone to it.
Luckily in the cases I have seen switching back to Toyota WS has solved it, but why take the risk to begin with especially on a transmission that likely has never been serviced the best bet is to stick to OEM/Licensed fluid to lower the risks as much as possible.

People try to save a few dollars only to potentially cost themselves thousands. All you can do is give people a heads up about it and then the choice is on them.

I exchanged 12 quarts from OEM fill to Maxlife at 100k on a 4Runner. No issues at all after 28k on Maxlife. I'm a member of a popular forum, toyota-4runner and searched it prior to changing the fluid. Many of the members use Maxlife and none reported any issues with it. One member in particular has over 260k miles on Maxlife in their 4Runner. A popular Toyota Scion forum may offer useful vehicle owner experience with Maxlife.

If it was me, stick to Toyota WS or the Idemitsu version. That said, I did two spill and fills with MaxLife on two Toyota 6-speed RWDs without issue.

A few previous threads which may be of interest. For what it's worth I have been using Maxlife in my son-in-laws's Toyota which lists WS and it has been fine. No shudder or any other weird actions.

I have used the Aisin type WS. I suspect they're the maker of the Toyota branded WS. That was a few years ago, but Rock Auto had a decent price at that time. Beck/Arnley also sells a WS for less $.
what I bought at a Toyota dealer was a Mobil bottle with their decal

Back