GS430 Toyota WS transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to drain and fill my transmission oil in my gs430 2006 and as I'm from the UK, genuine Toyota WS fluid is more expensive than using alternatives that state they are 'compatible' with WS fluid.

Here I it is almost £15 a litre and I believe it requires 3-4 drain and fills to mostly clear out the old fluid. Which would mean I would have to buy 4 litres each time I do a drain and fill. Almost £60 each time I service it.

I've recently bought the car and it requires a few more things to do and also being a full time student, I'm doing most the stuff myself. So I've found an alternative that states it is compatible with Toyota WS but mainly lists itself as a Mecron LV and Dexron VI ATF, it is a mannol company oil. It is much cheaper and I could buy 8 litres for £32. Whereas 8l of genuine ws would be £120.

I'm a bit skeptical of it as some people say to just use WS genuine nothing else but some people are fine with using alternatives.

Can I use this type of oil? By the way it is not an approved WS oil it just lists Toyota WS at the back.

Thank you guys

An alternative if you can find it is Aisin WS. That is what I am using in my Toyota with a U660E transaxle. Aisin is a manufacturer of transmissions for many makes including Toyota (though maybe not all their transmissions). If Aisin is making some of the transmissions for Toyota that use Toyota WS then I figure Aisin should know what is required to make the fluid that goes into those transmissions. Aisin is also partly owned by Toyota, so they have very close ties to each other.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the Aisin WS oil is also the same price from what I've found too.

And bluphuper, I've had a look at the forum but I feel the general consensus on there is that Toyota WS is the one to choose. Especially with how much cheaper it is overseas (I'm in the uk and a full time student).

So you guys think I shouldn't cut a corner here and go straight for genuine ws?

I have looked at the viscosity @ 100 degrees and it's 5.5. someone in that forum stated as long as it's below 7 it would meet ws spec.

This is product characteristics for the oil that I can get (that is much cheaper for me to afford)

Product Characteristics:
Characteristics Method Unit Value
Density at 15 °C D 1298 kg/m³ 838
Dynamic Viscosity by Brookfield D 2983 CP 9960
Flash point COC D 92 °C 216
Pour point D 97 °C -50
Viscosity at 100 °C D 445 CSt 5,55
Viscosity at 40 °C D 445 CSt 25,47
Viscosity index D 2270 164

There are many people out there saying not to skimp. There a lot of gibberish out there since the WS information is proprietary. But the truth of matter is, you can't go wrong with the Genuine stuff. But the problem is WS is not a spec or license and therefore, aftermarket can't get it approved for use in Toyota vehicles. So the other option is left to trial and error. I think someone that claims would be compatible should have done test to make sure, but really can't guarantee that it would work, since they're is no guidelines for manufacturer approval. If you know other people that successfully are using it, I say go for it. Otherwise, its up to you want to try it.

Dont waste your time with 3-4 drain and fills. Do 1 drain and fill (and every 50k kms going forth) and thats it. Use the genuine WS and sleep well at night.

Sticking with WS is well worth the effort and cost simply because it is the right fluid for the transmission.
Flushing it via the radiator lines will save you a lot of money than D&F and mixing of the old and new ATF.
At the very least you don't have to touch it for 60K miles if you flushed it out (capacity could be close to 10Q).

I will service our 2013 GS350 F Sport with Idemitsu WS equivalent.
As others have said, genuine Toyota WS is fine.
My understanding is WS is not a full synthetic, but I could be wrong.
Personally, I like full synthetic fluids and Idemitsu is good stuff.
I have used it in several Acura TSXs with great results.

Make sure you get the fluid level correct.
Good luck and have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back