Doing repairs worth more than the car..do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
"value of a car" to me is not just what the blue book says it's worth. The question I ask myself is, "Can I reliably drive the car when I'm done?" If yes, then to me the car is worth $20K that I would spend to buy a new one.

This is a good answer. Back in 03 I bought a 95 Neon for $1000. 6 months later, the dreaded headgasket blew up. I almost decided to ditch the car, but ended up replacing the headgasket myself. With all the parts and stuff needed to fix everything, I spent about $500. At the time it had about 95,000 on it. After fixing the headgasket, I sold it at about 180,000 miles with no problems after that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

But keep in mind also that chances are the mainstream $8k car also would likely need some repairs, though likely less. A car of any make that stickers at say 25k will have some major life taken from it by the time it is worth $8k.

But his car was a Cavalier, not a $25k MSRP car. For $8k you can get a 4-year old car that was $15k new. It will be leaps and bounds better than a hi-mileage Cavalier. It will have more comfort features, probably better MPG, better reliability, more safety features, maybe even some remaining powertrain warranty and certainly some rust warranty.

An older car becomes a money pit at some point. You need to get rid of it before that day arrives.

I am not a proponent of continuely fixing an older car.

These things are a personal decision and can't always be calculated in pure monetary terms. One usually knows (or feels)when they're over their heads in repairs.

Some factors that play into replacing your car include:
- whether you do your own repairs or not
- whether you deferred a lot of maintenance or repair
- whether you need to impress your friends (or women) with your car
- is it safe and reliable?
- how tolerant are you of things that go wrong?

If the engine or transmission then that is a tough decision. Other than these two well, seems to be always worth repairing compared to cost of new or newer car that will depreciate 40% in the first two years, maybe double ins cost and double the personal property taxes as well. Newer gadgets, toys, are not worth the money but I think that is an age issue. My son in law, any new gadget is worth buying!

A useful way of viewing this is to consider how long you can likely drive the car after performing the repairs.
If you put $1200.00 in the Cavi, and it is likely you can get another year or 12K miles out of it with nothing else expensive needing attention, it is worth doing the repair.
You can usefully view the worth of a repair on the basis of the cost being less than either $100.00/mo or $.10/mile of exepcted further use.
Either way, the repair is probably worth doing, if the car is otherwise generally okay.

I am in this current position...my Saturn has either a leaking seal on the transmission causing clutch contamination or my clutch hydraulics need replacement. Either way, I can't fix it on my own and the shops will probably get $1000 for the job. My car is worth about $1500.

The car is in very good condition and the body has lots of life left in it...but I'm also on my original starter, water pump, radiator and alternator. Not to mention I have some undiagnosed squealing sound when I make a left hand turn from the right front wheel. Supposedly it is NOT a wheel bearing...my mechanic couldn't figure it out.

I'm toying around with purchasing a new or used vehicle. I have yet to decide. I do hate the idea of car payments.

Right now I'm driving my Saturn carefully to avoid clutch slips on heavy acceleration.

Last edited:
In 2001 my mom spent 1300 bucks putting in a new a/c in her 1986 Crown Vic...The Ford dealer did the work...The car at the time had 140K miles and had zero other issues...She bought the 1986 Crown Vic brand new...The body was fair but the interior was like brand new...It was very well maintained...She really liked and did not want another car but living in a jungle climate it had to be fixed or be put for sale...It worked out well as she kept it till 2005 until she finally bought a newer Crown Vic.

It all depends on how money you have for your next vehicle if you were to replace. For example if you have
My 95 Civic at 10 years old with 226k miles needed another radiator (replaced once already). Probably little money to repair however last timing belt, major tuneup was performed at 100k miles and also in need of struts. I put a for sale sign and it was gone in an hour. My wife had to drive me to dealer next day and walked out with a 2004 WRX wagon.

For me, it always comes down to how much longer can I drive my car after the repair? If it averages out mth I'll repair my car.

I'm similar. But I compare it to the original car payment or a potential replacement car payment.

If the car payment was $200 a month, and the repair is $2000, it better last the next 10 months 'til I break even.

I also figure in sales tax, property/excise tax, car insurance..... and its almost always better to fix and repair as needed.

Other than theft or accident, I almost never purposely replace a vehicle.

Really appreciate all the thoughts/comments given so far.

Truth is, I don't have much of a choice - no credit for a newer car, and I kinda need one. Will most likely be borrowing the money to do these repairs as is.

Body is fairly solid on car, just heavy surface rust on all doors, trunk, and hood - will most like 'go through' next winter.

Car needs, from what I can tell, basically the whole suspension replaced - new bushing, shocks and struts, wheel bearings, and some brake work. Thats the major thing, and doing it myself isn't an option.

I've been quoted $700 for the bushing, and I spent $1200 doing the suspension on my 1991 Corolla, so toss in the bearings and brake work, and we're well over $2500.

The big thing that is making me pause is if the transmission will hold up. It works fairly well, but it does slip a bit and shift very harshly. I'd lose it if I did $2500 worth of undercarriage work, and the tranny gave up six months later.

What about buying the parts yourself?

For the work that I an getting done on her Cav (what I can't do myself), I'm bringing the struts in myself....so I'll just have to worry about labor...

It's been my experience that some of the biggest costs for a car are actually related to maintenance and not repair. Things like timing belts, brakes, tires, fluids, battery, etc. all have to be done eventually for a brand new car too.

I have many relatives who complain when they get a $2,500 estimate from a mechanic for "repairs" when half of the issues are scheduled maintenance, a quarter are for issues directly related to neglecting maintenance, and the remainder are for items that just wear out.

I really don't see the logic of dumping a car over ~ $2,000 worth of maintenance items and replacing it with a $25,000 car that's going to require the same "repairs" eventually.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
What about buying the parts yourself?

For the work that I an getting done on her Cav (what I can't do myself), I'm bringing the struts in myself....so I'll just have to worry about labor...

I HAVE looked into getting a used set of stuts, if they are needed, to save money. Our local pick-a-part yard has Cavalier strut assemblies for $50 each (front and rear).....if they are needed, might take a chance, and just pay to get those installed to get by.

why isn't doing this work yourself an option? Cavs are really easy to work on and there is a huge forum following for these cars. Im sure you could find some local enthusiasts to help you out.

Also why do you think these are all absolutely neccessary?
I understand brake work - thats a must. but suspension bushings, why bother at this stage for $700? My best bet for you is new brakes and wheel bearings. Junkyard suspension and find some local people to help out. This should not cost you $2500.

Oh, trust me, the car needs the bushings. It's needed them for a while, to the point where they are starting to separate, not just squeak. Car is becoming downright scary to drive.

Doing the work myself isn't an option b/c...

-little mechanical experience;
-no tools;
-live in a 1-parking spot condo, where even opening your hood is frowned upon.

How do you know the struts are gone? I'm still on all 4 original ones, which work fine. Maybe try replacing the bushings and see what that drives like. It may solve all the clunking.
I'd just replace the minimum to make the car reasonably safe, one wheel bearing at a time, etc...

It's probably been said but what a vehicle's worth is highly subjectable. If you plan on keeping a car a few more years a little money is worth it. It does help if you can do the work yourself.. actually that's the breaking point. Most people would of scrapped both my Festiva and especially the Aspire but frankly what I paid and what I've put in them have saved me alot of $. Is what I put them in it worth it if I go to sell it nope. But as I plan on keeping them a long time it is to me.

Addyguy, i kinda think your Cavalier is not worth repairing if it is that rusty. A dealer friend of mine told me that since the cash for clunkers program ended, used car value's have increased. Looking at dealer prices in the Sunday paper here locally, i would have to agree. Is there any chance you can go to a local car auction and get something 1/2 way decent for the same $1200 you need to put into your cav immediately? I've been to some auto auction's with the same dealer friend and you would be amazed at how little some cars bring that are decent cars. There is no silver bullet or hard, fast rule on when to pull the plug on an older car but i think your's is about done. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back