How do you like the driving aids in today's cars?

Gives a false sense of security. You're staring at the screen while maneuvering into or out of a parking spot totally oblivious to what the front and sides of the car are moving towards. Easy to scrape a fender or door doing that until all cars have the birdseye view 360° cameras.
I use it mainly for backing up straight into a parking spot. You can see much better when you're getting to the line, curb, or the car that's parked behind you.

The Rav 4 Hybrid has lots of new enhancements and I like every one of them especially the lane assist and adaptive cruise control. The only thing that is really bothersome is when you go through an automatic car wash and all the sensors make the car buzz, beep, and blink which is very annoying.
That's another thing I can easily live without. I have to listen to all that beeping every time I park in my garage. I park my Jeep close to the wall on the passenger side.

Not a fan. First time our 4Runner did it to us I thought I had to eject. Went to pass a truck with a trailer along an off ramp. The sensors didn’t like how close I got into relation to our speed I suppose. Makes you take your eyes off the road to see what the flashing red is for.

On my 21 Honda HRV Sport it does not have the extra features and I like it. I must say the backup camera is great but it does not have the beeping sound when you get close...The EX model has all of the features... Mine also uses a key start and does not have the auto stop when you stop.. I am glad of that...

I wish I had blind spot monitoring now. Never had a problem with it, not until I got this Corolla. If I get the mirrors right, not a problem(ish). But my daughter moves everything on me and it takes a bit to remember where I want/need it again.

No idea why but this car always has me surprised with someone just to my side. Despite driving the same route that I have for years.

Edit: just spoke with the wife, and she had the same problem with her current Camry. Really have to monitor blind spot or "always" getting surprised. Smaller mirrors and larger pillars? neither of us had a problem before.

Last edited:
Until I got the Highlander, the only driving aids I was accustomed to is auto on headlights and the tilting RH rear view mirror (I keep it off) on the LS400.

I turned the lane tracking assistance off in the Highlander. The tilting rear view mirrors are also turned off. Found out if you don't go through a setup routine, the rear view mirrors will actually tilt up when in reverse.

I don't know about other makes but it would be nice if the rear view camera had better resolution. I guess as long as you can make out moving objects it's good enough. I still look over my shoulders when backing.

I use the ACC, set to 75mph and adjust the following distance according to traffic conditions; more distance when traffic slows, less when traffic is moving at a good clip. I've had the ACC brake hard enough to trigger the ABS. I still cover the brake, it's a trust issue.

I used to think most of these aids were bothersome. But I'm getting used to them being there. I just don't want to get into the habit of totally relying on them. Nothing is fool-proof (I'm a fool...ask anyone who knows me).

You probably know this, but I recently discovered you can temporarily silence the warning buzzer/chimes by pressing the "OK" button on the steering wheel controls.
Ah thanks for the tip. That Rav4 has so many different electronics on it and I didn't know you could do that. I will try pressing the ok button when going through the automatic car wash. This Rav 4 about drives my wife crazy it has so many different settings. The Jeep GC it replaced had a lot of enhancements but this Rav4 has many more.

One of my pet peeves is when people cannot center their car in a lane, going over a bridge. The problem is exacerbated when there are only 2 lanes in total. The worst I've seen is people where the dotted line is going down the center of their hood.

Today, I saw that the DRBA offers to have an officer drive people over the memorial twin bridges if they are scared. How much coddling can there be in a society before we actually do something about the root cause? Are we going to have cars that curb the front wheels when >= 3% grade on their own? I see people here in PA with wheels straight ahead on grades much steeper than that, defying what I thought was common sense. I guess it's tricky to envision all the scenarios....uphill, downhill, curb, no curb, way too many to remember.

"This is why the Delaware River and Bay Authority offers a free service in which officers drive a person's car over the Delaware Memorial Bridge for them.

"(A driver) would pull over, call our dispatch, give their information (saying), 'I'm on the Jersey side (or) I'm on the Delaware side. I need a ride across the bridge," he said. "We'll send an officer out and we get in their car and drive them across.""

They are not needed. The best drivers in the world hang out on BITOG-with the fastest reaction times-especially considering the average age of posters on here.

:)
I will say that while the added technology in my grandparents' new Rav4 adds to their safety in certain respects, it greatly detracts in other areas where they get confused on how to use it. After working in car insurance dealing exclusively with AARP clients for a few years, I can't imagine how much accidents have increased due to the elderly attempting to use all the tech in new cars.

I will say that while the added technology in my grandparents' new Rav4 adds to their safety in certain respects, it greatly detracts in other areas where they get confused on how to use it. After working in car insurance dealing exclusively with AARP clients for a few years, I can't imagine how much accidents have increased due to the elderly attempting to use all the tech in new cars.
Well..you are not supposed to take your eyes off the road-that goes back to the early 20th century.

Well..you are not supposed to take your eyes off the road-that goes back to the early 20th century.
Of course, but that could be said even about young people driving newer cars today with infotainment screens. A lot of the technology in newer cars requires you to look at the screen even if only briefly to interact with it while driving.

Of course, but that could be said even about young people driving newer cars today with infotainment screens. A lot of the technology in newer cars requires you to look at the screen even if only briefly to interact with it while driving.
I don't disagree. But we can probably agree cellphones are the major culprit of distracted driving.

Ditto with older people with hands on the wheel at 10 and 2, when this was corrected around 1993. That's over 30 years ago, at what point do they change their behavior...

Who even came up with 10 and 2 anyway? And what are you supposed to do with your hands now?

I just steer with one hand at 6 unless I'm going fast or there's a rough road or traffic.

Dominate hand at 12. Split second reflexes call for a right wheel movement to turn to the right, like unexpected debris coming at you. One hand at 6 is only good for backing a trailer as it automatically reverses your hand movement, which is not what you want going fwd. But if your used to it...

I absolutely cannot drive with 2 hands on the wheel, much less the 10 and 2 position. Left hand on the wheel. Not to sound sexist at all but its mostly women you see driving with both hands on the wheel. I notice that alot

[vavavroom]: “I think most nanny systems encourage drivers to pay less attention and to be more negligent”.

Although these systems are new to me right now, I find myself paying more attention to them. However, this could change and I may start to take them for granted. I’m not a particularly fast driver and my natural driving style is such that I pay attention to my surroundings and other drivers. And as I age I hope this doesn’t change.

Where I feel that I need more & more these safety features, is when I’m on a really long highway drives/vacation of 6 to 8 hours possibly in heavy traffic as well when I start to feel tense and I should be stopping and get a hotel or the switch drivers. We usually like to take a day and a half to two days to get to our destination depending on its distance from home.

Last edited:
Love:
Blind spot detector lights on mirrors
Cameras on front and rear.
Automatic on and off high beams
"Intelligent" AWD and traction control.

Hate:
Adaptive Cruise Control
Light and brake warning about slowing down
Lane change detector (at least I can turn this off).
I can't change the radio station when backing up (as my wife normally leaves it on Country)

the only feature i wish i had in my vehicles is adaptive cruise control. beaing able to set it at the maximum desired speed and letting it adjust to traffic is quite nice in the vehicles ive driven with it.

Back