How do you like the driving aids in today's cars?

It's the passenger side mirror that tilts down a bit when going into reverse so you can see the curb when backing up while parallel parking. It doesn't tilt downward very far and you can still see what's behind your car. I find it useful. I have not seen the driver-side mirror move in reverse but I drive mostly off-brand Euro cars.
not the cars i move.when it tilts down i cant see anything behind me.

I had a friend with an Audi 100, I suppose that car is 30 years old now. And it had the passenger mirror that tipped down in reverse. That car also had vacuum-powered door locks.

Knew from title that this was going to be a tech bashing thread. Anyway, I like the autopilot function or whatever Toyota calls it in my 2020 Corolla. Especially in stop and and go traffic jams. It starts, accelerates, stops and steers the car so you're not constantly on the brake off the brake on the gas off the gas. Just touch the wheel every 20 seconds and if you come to dead stop, press the resume button and the car pretty much drives itself.

I have to look in my blind spot because my side mirrors point behind me, (just enough that I can see the back corners of my car) to make it easier to see gates and stuff when backing up. The inside mirror won't show you bikes and small children behind your car but the outside mirrors can on some cars.

Knew from title that this was going to be a tech bashing thread. Anyway, I like the autopilot function or whatever Toyota calls it in my 2020 Corolla. Especially in stop and and go traffic jams. It starts, accelerates, stops and steers the car so you're not constantly on the brake off the brake on the gas off the gas. Just touch the wheel every 20 seconds and if you come to dead stop, press the resume button and the car pretty much drives itself.
"I'm a fan" of the new tech.

On the 2024 Corolla, I don't know how it senses the hand on the wheel, but it would occasionally give the warning even if I had one or two hands on the wheel but wasn't moving them. That might be my only gripe with the system. And also, it brakes and accelerates harder in the ACC than I do.

I like the automatic braking for collision avoidance, I also like blind spot warning but the automatic lane keep and radar cruise control are too intrusive for me even at their lowest settings.

Now that we're discussing these things, they haven't mastered automatic wipers! I have wished many times that I could delete this on my cars because it never seems to please me versus what I can do manually.

Our old neighbor maintained his drivers license until his death at 99.5 years, but he told my wife he absolutely couldn't drive on the highway without his radar cruise control. To me this was a sign that the annual over 80 drivers tests were not strict enough.

I like the back up cameras. less chance of me wrecking a customers car. i absolutly cant stand the mirrors that point to the ground in reverse. stupidest thing ive seen in a while.

Same here, though my dads car gives a wider angle of view with the camera than I gt with the mirrors. So them pointing down wouldn't be as bad, but his don't LOL

Always. But I will admit, I like back up cameras.
Gives a false sense of security. You're staring at the screen while maneuvering into or out of a parking spot totally oblivious to what the front and sides of the car are moving towards. Easy to scrape a fender or door doing that until all cars have the birdseye view 360° cameras.

I like the automatic braking for collision avoidance, I also like blind spot warning but the automatic lane keep and radar cruise control are too intrusive for me even at their lowest settings.

Now that we're discussing these things, they haven't mastered automatic wipers! I have wished many times that I could delete this on my cars because it never seems to please me versus what I can do manually.

Our old neighbor maintained his drivers license until his death at 99.5 years, but he told my wife he absolutely couldn't drive on the highway without his radar cruise control. To me this was a sign that the annual over 80 drivers tests were not strict enough.

I loved the auto wipers on my Alfa Romeo, but disliked all other's so far... It had a few sensitivity settings and the lowest one was the one for me.

birdseye view 360° cameras.

Those are pretty cool; this Corolla didn't have that.

Now this and the backup camera are not really what I'd call "the driving aids in today's cars" -- they are more helps for parking than driving.

I have a son with vision and coordination issues who is nearing driving age. Looking at the laws, I was surprised that you can have pretty poor vision and still be allowed to drive, although perhaps with some limitations, such as bioptics for reading signs.

1711556373781.jpg

Driving this Corolla with all the driver assists, I can't help but think how a drunk driver will believe he has a better chance now, to safely drive home drunk then if he had no assists.

Anyone have experience with the auto driving systems when there's a potential for a head on collision, on a 2 way highway?
I've had a couple recent experiences where I spotted the poorly planned pass coming at me fairly far away +1000' at night, and was able to slow and get onto the shoulder as the oncoming driver wasn't lifting...
An auto driving system that only wakes you up with a couple hundred feet of warning with a 120+mph closing speed, gives you less time to scrub some speed and figure out what to do.

Back