How do you like the driving aids in today's cars?

I like all the extras on my Regal GS, the lane departure and side avoidance detection has saved my butt a couple of times. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pew
Our old neighbor maintained his drivers license until his death at 99.5 years, but he told my wife he absolutely couldn't drive on the highway without his radar cruise control. To me this was a sign that the annual over 80 drivers tests were not strict enough.

Around here you don't have to take driver's ed and you don't have to go over 40 mph to get a license. I don't see the point in driver's ed, because the theory of driving isn't very useful when you have to make a decision right now or die. You are supposed to have 30 hours of driving time to get your license. They really should add a highway section to the driver's test, where you have to show proficiency at high speed.

Knew from title that this was going to be a tech bashing thread.
I've got a headache from rolling my eyes at many of the comments here.... 🤪 Clearly many that are saying things have zero experience with this stuff.

Lane-keeping assist - guess what ? If you stay in your lane, it never does anything.
Pre-collision braking - guess what ? If you don't tailgate or if you brake early and hard enough, it never does anything.
And so on and on....

FYI the car isn’t insisting that the pass mirror tilts down 😂. It’s a setting.

At least on our cars, if the mirror selector is in the middle, the mirrors no longer do it. It’s truly annoying but if I’m not mistaken Lexus does driver and pass. Lots of wear and tear on the electric mirrors. Talk about a lack of mechanical sympathy

Around here you don't have to take driver's ed and you don't have to go over 40 mph to get a license. I don't see the point in driver's ed, because the theory of driving isn't very useful when you have to make a decision right now or die. You are supposed to have 30 hours of driving time to get your license. They really should add a highway section to the driver's test, where you have to show proficiency at high speed.
This shows in Pa. Every day I see cars merging at the top of an on ramp at 45 degrees, instead of accelerating and using the length of the merge lane.

Cars stop on solid green, let the light go yellow and red and waiting to the next cycle to turn.

Parking on a steep incline and front wheels straight ahead.

Driving with hands at 10 and 2 even though this practice stopped in 1993.

Absolutely nuts. Who needs any driver education 😂

The only thing I've driven recently that had "driver assist" aids was a 2024 Nissan Armada, work rental.

Every. Single. Feature. In that thing drove me nuts. Sure, those features might be optimized for driving 65mph on the interstate in the middle of Kansas, but small back roads in WV and MD? I'm surprised I didn't see smoke leaking out of somewhere from all the random buzzing, vibrating, and "Oh no!" sounds it kept playing. Could not get out of that thing fast enough.

I like tech, but I like it to be incorporated in an intelligent way, not a "I am can is has being driving car cuz computer do all work safety thing for me! I sit seat press go, zoom! Hee hee car make beep beep noise, buzz, weee!"

Gives a false sense of security. You're staring at the screen while maneuvering into or out of a parking spot totally oblivious to what the front and sides of the car are moving towards. Easy to scrape a fender or door doing that until all cars have the birdseye view 360° cameras.
My Ram forces you to at least look at the rear view mirror in order to see the back up camera. Disappears entirely and reverts back to a normal mirror when you leave reverse gear.

IMG_9788.jpeg

My wife drives a 2021 Traverse. My DD is a 2009 Suburban. After a long trip where I was in the Traverse with the yellow warning lights on the mirrors to warn you that someone is in the lane next to you, I was driving my truck and almost took out some poor girl driving in my blind spot because my mirror didn’t light up and warn me she was there.
I felt really bad. That fixed me though. I never forgot to double check again.
Didn’t hit her, thankfully.

Until I got the Highlander, the only driving aids I was accustomed to is auto on headlights and the tilting RH rear view mirror (I keep it off) on the LS400.

I turned the lane tracking assistance off in the Highlander. The tilting rear view mirrors are also turned off. Found out if you don't go through a setup routine, the rear view mirrors will actually tilt up when in reverse.

I don't know about other makes but it would be nice if the rear view camera had better resolution. I guess as long as you can make out moving objects it's good enough. I still look over my shoulders when backing.

I use the ACC, set to 75mph and adjust the following distance according to traffic conditions; more distance when traffic slows, less when traffic is moving at a good clip. I've had the ACC brake hard enough to trigger the ABS. I still cover the brake, it's a trust issue.

I used to think most of these aids were bothersome. But I'm getting used to them being there. I just don't want to get into the habit of totally relying on them. Nothing is fool-proof (I'm a fool...ask anyone who knows me).

The Rav 4 Hybrid has lots of new enhancements and I like every one of them especially the lane assist and adaptive cruise control. The only thing that is really bothersome is when you go through an automatic car wash and all the sensors make the car buzz, beep, and blink which is very annoying.

You probably know this, but I recently discovered you can temporarily silence the warning buzzer/chimes by pressing the "OK" button on the steering wheel controls.

it would be nice if the rear view camera had better resolution.

I have a 2010 Odyssey and the rear view cam is LOW quality. Potato grade. As you might expect from 15 year old tech. But everything else I've driven is pretty good in comparison.

I have all the extra bits and nannies in my Mazda. I love the adaptive cruise control, although I like Ford's version more. The BSM is non-intrusive. Lane departure will rumble where it shouldn't, but it's also not intrusive and has saved my bacon last year when I was falling asleep at the wheel. The AEB works.

Anyone have experience with the auto driving systems when there's a potential for a head on collision, on a 2 way highway?
I've had a couple recent experiences where I spotted the poorly planned pass coming at me fairly far away +1000' at night, and was able to slow and get onto the shoulder as the oncoming driver wasn't lifting...
An auto driving system that only wakes you up with a couple hundred feet of warning with a 120+mph closing speed, gives you less time to scrub some speed and figure out what to do.

From what I can tell, in nearly all my close-calls it will only mitigate your speed. It's not a saving-grace type deal but if the driver was paying attention in the first place.....but what i don't like is if I'm coasting up to someone turning, it will brake early. I can override it with pressing the gas pedal but I want to coast with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, not on the gas.

I'd rather have the front/rear sensors -BMW calls it Park Distance Control, Mercedes calls it Parktronic- than a rear view camera. Better yet are the surround view camera systems; they are actually helpful. I didn't think I would like the Distronic Plus (Level 2 autonomy) in my C43, but I actually do; it's a help on long interstate slogs. I did turn off the route based speed adaptation- it slowed the car in corners to "80 year old man wearing a hat and driving a Roadmaster " velocities.

Last edited:
I've got a headache from rolling my eyes at many of the comments here.... 🤪 Clearly many that are saying things have zero experience with this stuff.

Lane-keeping assist - guess what ? If you stay in your lane, it never does anything.
Pre-collision braking - guess what ? If you don't tailgate or if you brake early and hard enough, it never does anything.
And so on and on....
Yea. Pretty much. You can over ride anything at any time... Very comforting to have another set of eyes. I don't get it.

They are not needed. The best drivers in the world hang out on BITOG-with the fastest reaction times-especially considering the average age of posters on here.

:)

At first I didn't like adaptive cruise on the wife's Subaru, every time some one cut in front I would get farther back but I learned to set it on like 80 and it would follow along with everyone else whether it was 60 or 70,75. If they were going 80+ I would turn it off for a minute. Love the way the car slows down when the one in front of you does. Gets your attention just in case you were adjusting the ac or radio. I wish it had the blind spot monitor (maybe), never used one yet. But over a million or 2 miles of nearly accident free driving suggests I have done ok w/o the aids. I don't know how someone with a bad neck can drive. We called a wrecker for a break down once and this poor guy could not turn his head at all.

Only fancy safety devices a car needs is a very capable steel tube crash cage and race type harness restraints, and armor everywhere, especially in this state. Seems everyday there is a car that has something tossed at it.

but what i don't like is if I'm coasting up to someone turning, it will brake early. I can override it with pressing the gas pedal but I want to coast with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, not on the gas.
This seems to be "by design". Our Toyota does it and our son's Honda does it as well. I suspect there's a company (Bosch ?) that develops the software and/or hardware that many automakers buy and use. They all have the same names, or very, very similar, for the features too.

Never had a vehicle with one and never will. I gave up my car and driving.

My thoughts were...what if you were caught in one of those riots and they were blocking the streets. They came to do you harm and there was no way out. Try to drive thru the evil ones and the car keeps braking? I would want the choice of running over them, if worst came to worst. Of course it will not for me as I no longer drive.

Back