Bumper cover repairs?

It is actually, but I just get $30 a day. I’ll have to see what a minivan would cost to see if it’d be worth it to keep the miles off our van. We do rack up miles faster than we planned lately.

Make sure you ask for the rate the insurance company has negotiated. Even if it's an additional $20.00 or so a day-worth it -IMHO.

First of all there are 2 factors controlling the answer to your question, Statute and policy, read them both.

Generally

1) The rental - they will almost certainly manage the rental, you'll get a few days at best after the car is ready to pick it up and return the rental, they may be extra strict if they are trying to get money back from the at fault because the at fault is not going to pay loss of use for 30 days on a 4 day repair. The 30 day is a limit depending on how the coverage is written.

2) Can you demand a new cover - Yes it's your car you can always have what you want, your real question is will the insurance pay for it. The answer is probably not unless statute requires it. Fault is inmaterial in this answer.

3) Can bumper covers be repaired - generally yes including broken lock tabs, but some manufactures say they cannot be repaired in the area of radar sensors for cross traffic or BLIS. Some manufacturers have specifications for repairing.

4) a lot of new bumper covers are coming unprimed which makes for more sensitivity to prep and may require additional labor.

5) Non-OE may be new aftermarket, remanufactured, recycled or possibly OPT-OE which is basically OE from a discount dealer all Non-OE is not created equal.

I also agree that bumper looks repairable in your pictures.

First of all there are 2 factors controlling the answer to your question, Statute and policy, read them both.

Generally

1) The rental - they will almost certainly manage the rental, you'll get a few days at best after the car is ready to pick it up and return the rental, they may be extra strict if they are trying to get money back from the at fault because the at fault is not going to pay loss of use for 30 days on a 4 day repair. The 30 day is a limit depending on how the coverage is written.

2) Can you demand a new cover - Yes it's your car you can always have what you want, your real question is will the insurance pay for it. The answer is probably not unless statute requires it. Fault is inmaterial in this answer.

3) Can bumper covers be repaired - generally yes including broken lock tabs, but some manufactures say they cannot be repaired in the area of radar sensors for cross traffic or BLIS. Some manufacturers have specifications for repairing.

4) a lot of new bumper covers are coming unprimed which makes for more sensitivity to prep and may require additional labor.

5) Non-OE may be new aftermarket, remanufactured, recycled or possibly OPT-OE which is basically OE from a discount dealer all Non-OE is not created equal.

I also agree that bumper looks repairable in your pictures.
Thanks. You sound knowledgeable. Can you see the bump up where the bumper meets the trunk? That type of damage is repairable? What about the flat black lower portion of the bumper cover that is like flat black unfinished trim plastic. It’s heavily scratched from the license plate of the other person.

Thanks. You sound knowledgeable. Can you see the bump up where the bumper meets the trunk? That type of damage is repairable? What about the flat black lower portion of the bumper cover that is like flat black unfinished trim plastic. It’s heavily scratched from the license plate of the other person.
Ah i was going to mention that, Its hard to tell if its textured, but it can probably be repaired, though if that isn't a separate piece it may not be cost effective. There are products to repair even the textured portion but matching is a problem, i doubt most shops are going to want the deal with it.

I believe the upper would repair, but also agree it may be hiding damage (absorber/reinforcement/mounts/rails...) when everything is in the right place it helps the bumper maintain shape.

Ah i was going to mention that, Its hard to tell if its textured, but it can probably be repaired, though if that isn't a separate piece it may not be cost effective. There are products to repair even the textured portion but matching is a problem, i doubt most shops are going to want the deal with it.

I believe the upper would repair, but also agree it may be hiding damage (absorber/reinforcement/mounts/rails...) when everything is in the right place it helps the bumper maintain shape.
Yeah, I’m not sure but that kind of stuff makes me worry about repairing it on my own and just taking $, plus I already went to a doctor about it. I didn’t expect to be in pain although like I said, the hit was way harder than the damage shows. My water bottle flew out of the cup holder even. By the time I waited over an hour on the side of the road for her to show up, exchange info, and for the cops to never show up and I give up on waiting, I was already in a good bit of pain when I stood up that I didn’t realize I’d be in. I also don’t have any body guys that can do sidework anymore, they’re all in shops that don’t allow it now, so fixing it through insurance the typical way for a number of reasons is the route I’ll be taking.

A digit or two of the plate is imprinted in the lower valance flat black trim. If the car wasn’t in near perfect condition I’d just leave it be, but the car was bought new and in great shape. I looked up bumper covers and trim and it doesn’t look like that piece is separable unfortunately.

So I got rear ended yesterday in my 2017 Mazda 6. Last time this car was wrecked (into) right after I bought it, they replaced a small piece between the hood and grill and used an oem part (not at fault for that wreck, it was parked…). I’m not at fault for this wreck either (I was stopped at an intersection and ran into from behind) but they’re telling me only aftermarket parts not as my car isn’t new anymore.

1- I’m not at fault. My insurance will initially pay for the repairs but will seek reimbursement for the car, the deductible, and the medical. Should I be able to demand oem parts if any parts are needed?

2-are bumper covers repairable? I know they need to have a certain amount of flex and give to them. My body man friend said as long as it isn’t cracked it’s repairable. He said aftermarket bumper cover fit is absolutely garbage. I’d rather repair my oem cover if it’s actually a good repair. I’ll attach pictures, it’s hard to see but my concerns are that if they fill the indents from license plate hitting me, will that eventually crack and fall out? And the lip where my trunk closes into has bumped up from being smashed. Is that repairable in any way?

My insurance is about impossible to talk to. I tried to talk to them as I waited for police (as the person ran away at first, then returned, my first call was to the police). Insurance called me on my way home, though, and told me I can call or text anytime. When I call, their automated system prompts me to text them. I text them and…Well I haven’t gotten a response all morning Car Repair Near me…so just seeking opinions from those more familiar with body work and insurance than I may be.

View attachment 224726

View attachment 224727

View attachment 224728
Dinged the front bumper on the passenger's side. I was going down a shady road and hit a black plastic chair lurking in the shadows. By the time I recognized that it wasn't just another shadow, it was too late.

I have checked with 3 different shops. One thinks they could "repair" the damage with "plastic welding". The other 2 are in the "replace" camp. Quick and dirty estimates are $3k for "repair" and $5k for "replace".

The car is a CPO 2020 911 Carrera S. I have only had it for a month and put less than 1k miles on it. Traded my 2012 911 cab for it.

Shop 1, the "repair" shop, is a certified repair shop for a different German brand. Shop 2 is looking to get Porsche certification but doesn't have it yet. They work on German and other Euro cars. Shop 3 is a Porsche certified shop. Shops 1 and 2 are local, shop 3 is in another city.

Given that the car is a CPO, I'm inclined to go with shop 3, the Porsche certified shop, and hope the car gets back to "like new" condition. I know, pipe dream.

Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated.

Back