Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL 5w-20 - 21,079 Miles on oil

I have not heard of any stories about the hemi tick. (Probably a good sign). We have heard stories about reducing the tick in Jeep Wranglers in a large fleet we lubricate. We have not heard the complaint in the Hemis.

With respect to Redline and also Amsoil also mentioned in this thread, I believe both companies make very good products.

I suppose the biggest difference to me is that we are a small more personal company vs. a large one.

David
@High Performance Lubricants Are you planning on producing a "Euro" style 0w-40 at some point?

Way to go! Glad to see someone else with the stones to push their engine and oil to the limit(s). I do the same with commonly found oils: Supertech with 15K miles. Rotella T5 with 17K miles, and Rotella T6 with 22K miles. Keep it up.

Way to go! Glad to see someone else with the stones to push their engine and oil to the limit(s). I do the same with commonly found oils: Supertech with 15K miles. Rotella T5 with 17K miles, and Rotella T6 with 22K miles. Keep it up.
Are you making the decision how far you can push an oil based on oil analysis?

No, because when I rubbed the carbon between my fingers, it's hard as a rock and very gritty. Agglomerated material would not be hard and gritty. The carbon almost certainly came from the piston crowns and ring lands.

There is no way to tell, as the first time I changed the filter was at 21,000 miles. My speculation, based off the increased metals between 16,000 and 21,000 miles is that the high RPMs going up and down the mountain passes caused the filter to go into bypass when the two stage oil pump kicked into high side at high RPMs. While in bypass at high flow rates, there is no way to stop turbulence in the filter from picking up the carbon and recirculating it through the engine. I could have reduced the chance of carbon recirculation by changing the filter and would have had I known this much carbon would come off the internals. Esters really do clean. Like I stated before, lesson learned the hard way.
Well, you could use a Motorcraft filter that has the bypass in the threaded end of the filter. ;) Granted, the efficiency is not nearly as high as a Fram Ultra, but anyway.

One other observation, I think when you are running these extreme long intervals, a bypass filter would be of benefit to clean this sort of stuff out of the oil.

One other observation, I think when you are running these extreme long intervals, a bypass filter would be of benefit to clean this sort of stuff out of the oil.
Absolutely it would, in fact you'd probably never have to change this oil. The top-up oil from the by-pass filter change would most likely keep the TBN at a pretty stout level. I have zero interest in installing a by-pass filter on a Durango.

Last edited:
I believe we have a plausible explanation with so much carbon in the filter.

Why not, given the TBN?

ok - you run M1 EP for 20 months and 20,000 miles and let's see how it does.
I have a UOA of the mobil EP 5W-20 at 15k and about 7 months in a 5.7 hemi about 13k of it pulling about a 4k lb trailer and about 1k of it pulling roughly 8k

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210812-205903_PDF Reader.jpg
    Screenshot_20210812-205903_PDF Reader.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 95
Copper leaches from the oil cooler and there is no problem with copper in the oil.

See this previous post and article on Machinery Lubrication.

I would agree. But wouldn't this apply to a new oil cooler only? You have well over 100K miles and I would think that the copper tubes exposed to oil for such a long time would have a protective film and the Cu level at this stage would be very minimal if any?

Or maybe the first use of ester based HPL oil caused the protective film to be stripped and caused the spike in Cu? If not then the majority of Cu would come from engine internals made of bras and bronze.

Since Cu is a soft metal I would not be concerned as much about causing wear as I would be with elevated levels of Fe and other hard metals or in case Si in form of dirt or sand.

But wouldn't this apply to a new oil cooler only? You have well over 100K miles and I would think that the copper tubes exposed to oil for such a long time would have a protective film and the Cu level at this stage would be very minimal if any?
The oil cooler/filter housing was replaced at about 67,500 miles, because of the dreaded housing leak.

Back