Dodge Challenger's 5.7-Liter V8 Hemi To Be Replaced By Inline Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clinebarger
What other platform would accept such a large/long engine besides full size pick-ups.....

Umm...the family sedan parked in my driveway? (Unfortunately it isn't the XR6 Turbo Shannow posted above).

A GM Atlas I6 may not fit in your car.....It's a pretty large engine for it's displacement. I installed a couple Atlas engines in E-Type Jaguars & they barely fit with a custom Intake & Oil Pan.

I don't know much about the Ford DOHC I6 as it was never offered in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Wagonmaster261

A straight 6 is inherently balanced, unlike any vee-type engine. Less side loading of the cylinders. There is probably a reason most semi truck engines are straight sixes.

90° V8's, V12's, & V16's all have a natural balance as they don't need any "trickery" with rod pin offsets to even out piston firing & a even number of pistons fire every 360° of crankshaft rotation......4 on a V8, 6 on a V12 & 8 on a V16.

As 4WD already stated.....V8's in Class 8 trucks were very popular in the late 70's & early 80's, About the only way to have more than 400hp from the factory back then. My grandfather owned a heavy haul trucking company & he preferred 3408 CAT's but had a couple Detroit 8v92's. The 400 Cummins & 3406 CAT couldn't compete.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Good for street racing, 6 cy sound,

When I think of a growly I6 sound, I think of Pontiacs, Jeeps, and Jaguars. The Mopars were quiet and unassuming.

You never heard a 225 Hyper-Pak, then!

At work we have EMD 16-645E 2-stroke (a Detriot's bigger brother), in turbo and non-turbo variations. 45 degree vee. Some have a bit of vibration in notch 2, around 350-400 rpm. Rattles the cab something fierce.

Fewer cylinders means fewer firing events per each rotation of the engine. If the durability is there for a similar power level, using fewer cylinders is usually the way to go for lower cost of operation, in fuel and repairs. GE has a 12 cylinder diesel making 4400hp, where EMD needed 16 cylinders to get there. The Ford 300 had a longer oil change interval than the 302 V8, due to fewer firing events, and 6 quart sump instead of 5 quart.

I think the Ford DOHC 6 used the old Falcon 200-250 small block as the base. Not much development in USA on these, as V8s were easier to get power out of, in ever increasing sizes.

Six cylinder family sedan was the Oz "staple" since 1948...was a hard one to drop (even the GM 3.8 was a hard swallow back in the day)

I think there are many here who have never owned and lived with a good inline six, so therefore don't really care. The current generation grew up on V6 engines. The very engine configuration I dislike more than any other.

Despite modern trickery, an engine is still an engine, and a good one is often appreciated.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I think there are many here who have never owned and lived with a good inline six, so therefore don't really care. The current generation grew up on V6 engines. The very engine configuration I dislike more than any other.

Despite modern trickery, an engine is still an engine, and a good one is often appreciated.

Precisely!

Originally Posted by Wagonmaster261
At work we have EMD 16-645E 2-stroke (a Detriot's bigger brother), in turbo and non-turbo variations. 45 degree vee. Some have a bit of vibration in notch 2, around 350-400 rpm. Rattles the cab something fierce.

Fewer cylinders means fewer firing events per each rotation of the engine. If the durability is there for a similar power level, using fewer cylinders is usually the way to go for lower cost of operation, in fuel and repairs. GE has a 12 cylinder diesel making 4400hp, where EMD needed 16 cylinders to get there. The Ford 300 had a longer oil change interval than the 302 V8, due to fewer firing events, and 6 quart sump instead of 5 quart.

I think the Ford DOHC 6 used the old Falcon 200-250 small block as the base. Not much development in USA on these, as V8s were easier to get power out of, in ever increasing sizes.

It's hard to beat the sound of a non turbocharged 567 or 645 EMD pulling a grade in Notch 8 screaming against the load. Unfortunately the days of the 567 are pretty much gone as most were converted to 645s upon overhaul and the newer stuff got the 710. The days of 2 stroke EMD engines is numbered sadly, because they sure sound sweet!

Originally Posted by BrianF
I love the inline 6. Have 2 of them. But GM did not see the need to continue on with the Atlas. The 4.2 was used from 2002 to 2009 in the GMT360 and that's it. A waste in my mind.

What other platform would accept such a large/long engine besides full size pick-ups.....

Like ANY BMW with six cyl.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I love the inline 6. Have 2 of them. But GM did not see the need to continue on with the Atlas. The 4.2 was used from 2002 to 2009 in the GMT360 and that's it. A waste in my mind.

Are you sure a 4.2L Atlas engine would fit in ANY BMW that had a I6? Aren't "car" BMW sixes usually mounted at an angle to provide hood clearance? GM didn't design the Atlas for car use. You're not accounting for Deck Height or Cylinder Spacing into your blanket statement.....Or, Are you just being argumentative?

While we're on the Atlas topic.....It needed EGR & A.I.R. to meet emissions standards, While a HO 5.3L V8 put in the same chassis required neither.

Here's the Oz "Barra" six as was the staple in the Ford Falcon versus something more recognisable in the States.

Note:
* car was a modern, low bonnet (hood) caper
* engine mounted upright
* car had no issues with crash worthiness, engine didn't impale the passengers as people oft believe/state.

Not sure how it sizes up with the Altas, but looking at a couple of head off photos, G.M. didn't seem to add inched to the bore centreline just because they wanted to make a long 6.

BarraI6_vs_WindsorV8.jpg

Atlas is a name for a family of modern inline piston engines for trucks from General Motors, used in the GMT 355 and GMT360 platforms. The series debuted in 2002 with the Oldsmobile Bravada, and is also used in the Buick Rainier, the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and Colorado, the GMC Envoy and Canyon, the Hummer H3, Isuzu Ascender and i-370, and the Saab 9-7X. The Displacement runs 169-254 cu in (2770-4160 cc)
These DOHC aluminum block engines use GM's Vortec name, and I4, I5, and I6 engines are all part of the same family, sharing the same manufacturing equipment, rods, pistons, valves, and other parts
==========================================================================================================================================================

So - I owned 3 GMT355 vehicles = Colorado, Canyon, and Hummer H3. Both the Chevy and the Hummer had the I5 engine - and I did not see room for a longer engine. The smaller trucks offered I4 or I5 and later the V8.
My GMC had the 5.3L V8 - and the H3 Alpha used the same LH9. I think GM would have put the same series motor in if there had been room to do so.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Are you sure a 4.2L Atlas engine would fit in ANY BMW that had a I6? Aren't "car" BMW sixes usually mounted at an angle to provide hood clearance? GM didn't design the Atlas for car use. You're not accounting for Deck Height or Cylinder Spacing into your blanket statement.....Or, Are you just being argumentative?

While we're on the Atlas topic.....It needed EGR & A.I.R. to meet emissions standards, While a HO 5.3L V8 put in the same chassis required neither.

I misunderstood what you saying, thinking you are talking generally about inline six.

I don't see a problem with it, whether people like to admit it or not, V6 Mustang and Camaro outsells their V8 counterparts. Lower sticker price and insurance premiums, plus most people get them to look flashy in rather than performance=more units sold! Not to mention, inline sixes have some of the best longevity ratings in the industry. Let's just hope FIAT doesn't screw that up!

I've showed the size of the Oz Ford 6 compared to the V-8.

Here's an SUV that Ford ran the six in plus AWD for ages.

All the talk about straight sixes not fitting in things isn't engineering fact, when Ford Oz have been doing it for 50+ years...upright straight six is their blood heritage.

Ford-Territory-Turbo-4-nw.jpg

What I posted on GMT355 is correct ... I6 would have gone in the two trucks and H3 if it was not too long ... they would have shared an entire engine family (I4/I5/I6) in the factory and under the hoods ..
Instead they put in a V8 (that was never a big seller and hard to find) ...
I would of taken that I6 any day ... not offered ...

0611or_02_z+hummer_h3+vortec_3500_engine.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back