Dodge Challenger's 5.7-Liter V8 Hemi To Be Replaced By Inline Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi To Be Replaced By Inline Six
33.gif
Does this make sense
confused2.gif

https://carbuzz.com/news/dodge-challenger-s-5-7-liter-v8-hemi-to-be-replaced-by-inline-six

Heck yeah!
" A straight-six would certainly be an interesting choice for FCA, and it's been proven time and again by German automakers, specifically BMW, that this engine type can deliver the goods."

I guess this author has never heard of Ford's Australian Straight 6's... or Nissan's, etc..

and instead of giving it some stupid new name, can't they use another Chrysler heritage name, even if they have to tilt it a couple degrees and call it the SLANT 6?

interestingly enough one of the articles he links to, mentions a new Turbo V6,(not inline) and is from 2016, talking about an announcement for the 2017 lineup....

Last edited:
Anyone here own or owned a GM with the 4.2 inline 6? Lots of torque, plenty of power for the SUVs they were in (Trailblazer/Envoy), and reliable! Hopefully Dodge pulls it off!

Like the post above, I've always liked the feel of a high quality inline 6. Besides the perfect primary balance and the smooth sound, there seems to be a good fit for 6 cylinder engines in modern cars and trucks.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Like the post above, I've always liked the feel of a high quality inline 6. Besides the perfect primary balance and the smooth sound, there seems to be a good fit for 6 cylinder engines in modern cars and trucks.

Biggest problem seems to be packaging. Anyone who has owned or worked on a GM Vortec 4200 knows they are a pain in the @$$ sometimes. Especially with the front driveshaft on the 4x4 models going THROUGH the oil pan. But if they can figure out how to package the whole thing properly and it won't be an unreliable piece of junk like many FCA things it'll be so cool!

The old 225ci slant six was a very durable motor. BMWs 3.0 in-line six is another venerable engine.

Would they resurrect the slant six and put a turbo on it?

The leaning tower of power properly maintained would deliver mid 20mpgs and last a qurter million miles back in the day. Wouldn't win any races but that wasn't the target demographic.

The slant 6 was one of the first long runners. 175K with good old 30w service was nothing for them.
In everything from Darts to pickups (including 3/4 ton) to Chargers.
Torque coupled with great fuel economy. Yeah!

A truly great engine.
Of course that was then and this is now...

Sounds like a viable option for 50% or more buyers.

6's done right are great- a turbo 6 can squash a small na v8 pretty easy.

UD

Originally Posted by PimTac
The old 225ci slant six was a very durable motor. BMWs 3.0 in-line six is another venerable engine.

Would they resurrect the slant six and put a turbo on it?

Or the jeep 4.0.

I am thrilled at the idea of an inline 6 in these vehicles-- I have always wanted to see more I6's out there, especially in trucks. They are super smooth, and if you use historic engines as an example, most are tough as nails. When mounted longitudinally, they are much easier to work on in larger vehicles than a V8.

If I had my way, there'd be two models: a medium to large displacement naturally aspirated variant- one that employs modern variable valve timing/lift, DI possibly (not a deal breaker), tuned or variable intake-- should be a 300+ hp engine no problem in the 3.5-4.0L range with great torque. Easy to work on, smooth and tough as nails. They could substitute the above with a small displacement I6 (around 2.5L) with supercharger for same power (torque especially) that has comparable packaging requirements, but better fuel economy.

The other option ought to to be a small to mid displacement (3.0L or so) I6 turbocharged engine in the 400+hp ballpark. One can only dream!

Originally Posted by Kode
Straight six. Ford f100 four on the floor. Best motor ever.

Yep, the 300 I6 is my preference over the 302 or 351 V8s in the 1/2 ton Fords of that era. If you can get your hands on a commercial truck engine or its parts with its forged crank and rods, and HD exhaust manifold, you've got the makings of a nice smooth pulling engine. Even the Offenhauser intakes and other readily available parts offer some nice upgrading potential.

Originally Posted by littleant
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi To Be Replaced By Inline Six
33.gif
Does this make sense
confused2.gif

https://carbuzz.com/news/dodge-challenger-s-5-7-liter-v8-hemi-to-be-replaced-by-inline-six

That's not what the article says.

It states:

According to Allpar, FCA is supposedly working on a new inline-six turbocharged engine that will either meet or beat the Hemi's power ratings while offering a smoother torque curve.

Allpar also speculates that the first FCA vehicle that could receive this new engine might be the Jeep Wagoneer or the next generation Grand Cherokee.

And then goes on to say:

We wouldn't be surprised to see it also appear in the Challenger, Charger, and Ram pickups as well, effectively replacing the base 3.6-liter V6 engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a situation like with Ford's EcoBoost where you have both the V8 and turbo 6-cylinder offerings available in parallel.

Ergo, I don't believe the headline is accurate. Ford didn't replace the Modular with the Ecoboost, and the Modular has been around for even longer than the HEMI.

I remember these, I tied a rope from the brim of my ballcap to the bumper of the truck and my brother popped the clutch in 1st gear with the accelerator floored. Wouldn't pull the hat off my head....maybe it was the 352 or the 390 I'm thinking of. Been some years. Ford was always a distant 4th in the street racing scene behind the Mopars, Bowties and ramblers of the day.

Originally Posted by sloinker

I remember these, I tied a rope from the brim of my ballcap to the bumper of the truck and my brother popped the clutch in 1st gear with the accelerator floored. Wouldn't pull the hat off my head....maybe it was the 352 or the 390 I'm thinking of. Been some years. Ford was always a distant 4th in the street racing scene behind the Mopars, Bowties and ramblers of the day.

The Ford 300 inline-6 is a tough engine. I did manage to ruin the head gasket in an 89 E-150 with that engine though. I may or may not have spent the entire ownership of that vehicle at full throttle. It was pretty slow so no danger of speeding tickets but even after blowing the head gasket (hey, apparently if the coolant leaks out and you don't refill it that will happen) it drove fine for like a month with me continuously adding coolant and/or water. The oil was thick gooey milkshake but it still ran great and never knocked or anything!

I've been reading on BITOG for ever that you can't comply a straight 6 with modern crash testing and aerodynamics (even 'though Ford did it here forever until they stopped)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back