Do you trust the techs at the dealer when you give them oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run into a lot of independant mechanics who advertise "$xx.95 OIL CHANGE- UP TO 5 QTS OF >Pennzoil,QS,Valv,Castrol,Havoline< " but in reality it's whatever cheap oil they happen to have sitting back there. And yes, these are the kinds of guys that WILL take your M1 or GC if you aren't looking.

While I would trust a stealership a tiny bit more all shops have their resident crook, so keep an eye out.

How much does a dealer charge for and oil change when you bring your own oil in?

I have heard they charge the same ammount.

I though most dealers carry a synthetic for their high-end vehicles and high end customers.

It sucks the condo has deed restrictions and an owner's association that restricts repairs to vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
How much does a dealer charge for and oil change when you bring your own oil in?

I have heard they charge the same ammount.

Some dealers, perhaps.

My Ford dealer only charges me for labor+filter if I bring my own oil; I have to pay like $13.95

If they use their oil it's about $24.00.

I do not trust anybody when it comes to oil changes! I obviously always bring my own oil/filter to the local Honda dealership for oil changes. I always ask for the empty oil bottles upon completion just to make sure they did in fact put my oil in and not "withold" it for themselves and put substitute dealer oil in instead. Prior to leaving the dealership,I always check the oil level quantity and make sure they did not over tighten the oil filler cap.

How can you be sure that they used the oil you gave them, even if you get empty bottles back?
they could've still poured it into something and used crappy oil for the car...

I guess there's no way to know 100% sure except being able to watch. I feel uncomfortable demanding that, 'cause they've been very nice to me on all occasions.
I think I should just trust them.

good idea.
I should find something to do with the ST oil, though..perhaps use as top-up oil?
smile.gif

But my top-up oil is RL
frown.gif

Let me tell you a concern of mine even more disturbing. When I go to a funeral, and everyone leaves with the casket unburied, how can we be sure that the deceased was actually interred into the earth by the cemetery crew????
shocked.gif

What do you guys think happens to the oil when you bring in oil, and they return you an empty container? Maybe you should ask for the empty container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back