Do you get used to hot weather?

Moved to Columbia SC from Midway UT last month. All I can say is the heat and humidity is just when compared to every morning being cold in UT, even in the summer.

My job requires I workout every weekday morning. I leave at 0500 daily. In UT, I was ice cold going to work in the summer, even though it would get in the 90's in the afternoon. In SC, at 0500 things are very comfortable outside.

I love to be outside in the earlier morning doing something. In UT, I struggled, even in the summer, because of the cold. In SC, every early morning is just right temperature wise to go do something outside in the summer. I grew up in cold, my domicile is Alaska... no issue with cold, it just unmotivated me. Will take the heat and humidity all day long over cold mornings.

This is a "trick" question in my mind. I've always been a sweaty guy and so "getting used to the heat" means if I go to Florida from MA in the winter I'm usually fine the first few days but after I "get used to it" that just means I start sweating immediately which is undesirable for me. It never happens the other way where after more time in the heat I sweat less. Also, by "heat" I really mean humidity. I actually do fairly well in hot and dry climates. I am getting less sweaty as I get older though...

Last edited:
Summers where I am are tough, but winters are normally nice. Summers I just go from one airconditioned place to another. I keep my house at 73 in the summer and when you head outside the humidity hits you full on, and glasses immediately fog up. I do a two mile walk every morning when the temp is still around 78 but am wringing wet when I come back.

I experienced similar shock when I was doing some work in Dallas and it was 114F. You do eventually get used to it. I don't find the temps in NC any different really than SW Ontario except the winters are much, MUCH milder.

Yes, you do get used to the heat, but, you need to learn to stay out of the sun. Once you get used to the heat you won't be able to tolerate the cold. You will never get used to the humidity. The combination of high heat and high humidity causes it to be oppressive.

It's hot and humid and you just get sweaty and get on with life. 🤷
As soon as I would step out, my face would start burning and itching and would be all red - like heat rash. Never had that happen before. Getting back to Michigan was a major relief.

I've lived in the SE since 1985. Mostly I was OK with it but lately the FL heat is just to much for me, part of the reason we are moving to TN.
TN gets hot and humid as well but at least there is relief when the sun goes down. My biggest problem is that I am a sweater, I mean gallons it seems. Instantly when I walk out in the florida heat I am drenched. I am tired of dealing with monkey butt from sweating so much in the FL heat :eek:. It is hard for me to work outside sometimes because my eyes are stinging from the sweat and everything is slipping out of my hands. My hands actually get pruny if I work outside to much.

TMI I know. Now I have to find out if I can handle the colder TN winter. It's going to be tough the first year :) I know you northern guys are laughing at the mild winter in TN but its going to be a big change. Have not experienced a true winter since 1984.

I tend to get used to it, but man the sun is getting hotter each year it seems. I just avoid midday no matter what.

Humidity drives me bonkers, I'm overweight and my sweating is getting worse as the years go by. I wear glasses and nothing pushes me over the edge like dripping onto my glasses.

I live about 2 hours east of Quattro Pete (I think) and have always been a winter person, but I have the same concerns about moving to a locale of oppressive heat and humidity. Only a few really answered the question if a person's body adapts to the change and tolerates the heat better.

I DO know that individuals are extremely different regarding their comfort levels to temperature and humidity. On our Amtrak mini vacation to Chicago last week, there were people on the train using blankets while I was just barely comfortable in shorts and Hawaiian shirt.

It does seem that I am less tolerant of heat in my mid 60's compared to 20's to 40's, different than what ka9mnx (ham radio?) states - maybe his summer/winter-inside/outside analogy is most correct.

And I live about a few hours from both of you, and agree with you too. Everybody is going to be different. Can be anything from simple preference to what/how many meds they are on. That too adds to the issues. Me having asthma makes it difficult especially as I get older to deal with heat with strong humidity…..

I'm the complete opposite Q. Love my humidity and hate the cold. But there are limits to everything.

I would say yes and no. I grew up in the desert and now live about 30 miles inland so not much different. Worked outside in construction and landscaping /sports fields for almost 20 years. You get used to being miserable but it’s not like you don’t notice it’s hot. I do enjoy the quiet when everyone else is inside. Also when at work people give you a little more slack when it’s hot

It used to not bother me. As I have aged It's beginning to bother me. I do get accustomed to the heat but am not comfortable in it any more. Took this pic earlier today.
I noticed while vacationing in LA they give three forecast, one for the beach, one for LA /the OC and another for the valleys/I.E. aka Inland Impire. The I.E. is always hotter during the day by a lot it seems.

I've spent most of my life in the heat and the humidity. It just becomes part of life, you sweat, you get sticky. You don't enjoy it, but you get on with the job. I was a farm labourer in the tropics, a miner in the outback desert, and did jungle warfare training with the Australian army.

For me, I take time to get use to the cold, I'm OK with it, but for a few weeks I'm wearing a lot more layers than the locals around me.

That's the thing. If you are outside with no heating or air-conditioning, in the cold you can always put more layers on and rug up a bit more to get comfortable. Plus being active warms you up in the cold. In the heat and humidity, once you are down to shorts and a t-shirt, you are still uncomfortable, and even removing your t-shirt makes no difference to comfort, and it probably just exposes you to sun burn. Being active in the heat and humidity, it just means the sweat is pouring off you and your clothes are drenched. Then I focus on hydration and drinking lots of water.

Born, raised and spent most my life up north on Long Island. I always loved the summers, didnt mind the winters either but I HATED the "in-between" fall and spring, when all it seemed to do was rain. Sometimes you could have a cold spring and half the time half the summer would be gone and we are big on ocean, lakes, swimming, boating, sometimes a couple day motorcycle trip and sometimes a motorcycle trip to the beach 2 hours away, needless to say we love summer and love heat.

So we moved to South Carolina, not on the ocean but near a huge 41 mile long lake called Lake Murray.
We get a solid 6 months of summer, at least 3 of those months day time highs are never less then 90 degrees. Its not half as humid as Long Island because after all, Long Island was surrounded by the ocean.
But either way could care less, some day we might even find ourselves back at the ocean/coast, humidity and all in South Carolina, which is where I am typing this from right now at a resort in N Myrtle beach, took a few days off, 3 hour car ride and we are at the beach.
We live near the central part of the state which is EXACTLY half way between the ocean and mountains, 2 hours either way.

Personally, reading your OP, if you hate heat that much, I dont know why you would move here, I mean, your moving south, its a fact of life. I love it and even just like I did the cold weather and snow, look at the heat as a challenge, heck, just a couple days before we drove here to the resort, I needed to get the lawn cut, I got out there with the two thermometers in our house saying it was 99 degrees outside, I look at it as a work out, even though its a self propelled mower. Ill cut the lawn at the hottest part of the day, though on a hot day like that, I will wait till later in the day where the yard is shaded. The flip side is winters are much more mild then up north, it can go down into the 20s and up to the 60s daytime. You can have an extended cold that lasts a week and you can have an extended 50 degree week.
One time in 15 years we got 6 inches of snow, schools were shut down for a week until it melted. *LOL*

There are some much cooler places, in the foothills of the mountains, both in NC and SC much more rural in the western part of each state though.
We also go to the mountains every year on our motorcycle but if you want to be a little closer, look into the Greenville SC area, also Spartanburg, it will be a little cooler but still HOT summers, if you go further west in the state its much like upstate NY, minus the huge amounts of snow. :eek:)

I mean, either way, there is nothing wrong with heat if you like heat, there is nothing wrong with cold if you like cold. Its all a personal choice, Ill never go back to or would ever consider moving back to a New York climate. No way but that is me and my family, everyone is different. Always a way to hang out and keep cooler outside without special preparations and be comfortable.

Last edited:
ain't nothing like mowing the lawn at noon in South Texas at 105°F and 90% humidity and enjoying some cold ones afterwards.

I was born and raised in N.C. Right now at 12:30 PM it’s 79 degrees F with 80% humidity. Not bad for mid August! Most people move here for the winters…not the summers. ;)

I’m originally from the Milwaukee area, but moved to central Texas in 2010. I was able to take the heat fairly well. I think I’d rather have 102 vs 92 here because 92 is still humid, but 102 is more like a dry blast furnace. I do nearly all my own yard work (1.3 acre) and auto/home maintenance because I’m ch… err… thrifty. One huge thing is to keep hydrated. Another for me is avoiding sunburn… for that I’ll replace my t-shirt and use my previous sweaty one under a baseball cap to protect my ears, neck, etc. I have noticed that with some weight gain, age (nearing 40 now), etc., my 1.5-2 hour “shifts” of physical yard/auto repair work are now about half that, with half hour cooling/hydration breaks.

Back