Do you get used to hot weather?

I've spent majority of my life up north, with longish cold winters. Even though I complain about snow and long winters here in Michigan, I also fear I won't be able to handle hot summers if we were to move further south. We spent the last week in NC (Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte areas) with temps in low 90s and high humidity, and I was really struggling. I felt like I was burning up as soon as I stepped outside, even in the evening. The heat and humidity were just oppressive. Do people generally just get used to it?
I spent about 5 years (on and off) in Florida, and recall handling Summers there relatively OK, but I was in my late teens, early twenties then. Now that I'm in my mid 40s, I don't seem to be able to tolerate it as well. Yet, wife and I have been talking for years about moving to NC to get away from the long and cold winters. I honestly don't know what's worse at this point - trading brutal winters for brutal summers. I know there is A/C everywhere you go, but we don't want to spend entire Summers indoors.

I thought moving south would be an easy decision, but after this recent trip, I don't know anymore...

I've spent majority of my life up north, with longish cold winters. Even though I complain about snow and long winters here in Michigan, I also fear I won't be able to handle hot summers if we were to move further south. We spent the last week in NC (Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte areas) with temps in low 90s and high humidity, and I was really struggling. I felt like I was burning up as soon as I stepped outside, even in the evening. The heat and humidity were just oppressive. Do people generally just get used to it?
I spent about 5 years (on and off) in Florida, and recall handling Summers there relatively OK, but I was in my late teens, early twenties then. Now that I'm in my mid 40s, I don't seem to be able to tolerate it as well. Yet, wife and I have been talking for years about moving to NC to get away from the long and cold winters. I honestly don't know what's worse at this point - trading brutal winters for brutal summers. I know there is A/C everywhere you go, but we don't want to spend entire Summers indoors.

I thought moving south would be an easy decision, but after this recent trip, I don't know anymore...
Trying to read between the lines here. Are you overweight? Are you in shape? Fat will act as insulation and make you hotter and being overweight will generate more heat. I've run in 90 degree weather. No fun but you get used to it.

Do people generally just get used to it?
Nope. Not me. And it's more the humidity then the heat. If you go away from the coast and into higher elevations, it's much more tolerable. I spent an few hours in Ashville one June and was surprised how comfortable it was out. I think that it's at over 2,000 feet had something to do with it.

Five years ago I'd say the heat doesn't bother me but I've been getting nauseated and dizzy after playing golf in the heat. Don't know if it's age or my hbp meds.

Grew up in Wyoming, and moved to Texas in 1995. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get used to the oppressive muggyness. Visited my sister in Charlotte in July and we drove down to visit our parents near Gainesville, Florida. That place is on a whole other level from a humidity standpoint. But I do think you get used to it to a certain extent. I jumped out and detailed her Highlander while I was in Charlotte, and I survived. I handled it better in my twenties and thirties than I handle it in my 50s. I find myself avoiding outdoor chores until October.

It used to not bother me. As I have aged It's beginning to bother me. I do get accustomed to the heat but am not comfortable in it any more. Took this pic earlier today.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_141302153_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210815_141302153_HDR.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 51
Trying to read between the lines here. Are you overweight? Are you in shape? Fat will act as insulation and make you hotter and being overweight will generate more heat. I've run in 90 degree weather. No fun but you get used to it.
I am not overweight, in decent shape, but I have been having some blood circulation issues as of late. For example my hands are much colder than the rest of my body. Doctors haven't been able to figure it out yet. All my tests are coming back normal.

Can’t stand it. I don’t like being so sweaty that I can’t hold a tool without dripping sweat and barely being able to grip it. The humidity is what kills me. Luckily the shop I work at is air conditioned. I’m the same way like yesterday when I got out of the car to go in somewhere I was pouring sweat by the time I got to the door. Don’t mind sweating but that much in that little time bothers me. And after a few days of heat my nose constantly bleeds from being dry which sucks I’m sure it’s the heat because that’s the only time it does it.

I am not overweight, in decent shape, but I have been having some blood circulation issues as of late. For example my hands are much colder than the rest of my body. Doctors haven't been able to figure it out yet. All my tests are coming back normal.

I am in the same boat as you w/ very cold hands during winter months. Hour bodies are probably telling us to get out of Dodge.

Many of us would like to have San Diego weather. That doesn't happen on the East Coast or in the South. I've lived on the NC coast for 18 years. Summer humidity here really stinks. Heat index lately easily surpasses 100-105. But the pleasant fall and spring weather compensates for the horrid summer humidity. Then again you can live in the mountains in the western part of the state and have less humid weather there. It's all relative. I get used to the common two tee shirt days of summer but still don't like it.

I'd think you'd get used to it - just as you are used to a Michigan winter. I recently had this conversation with people visiting from Houston. They told me summers "aren't that bad" there but there's no way they'd make it through winters around here. I just couldn't live somewhere where it was over 90 degrees for four to six months. I had a good sweat going on today doing yardwork and it was 80 degrees with moderate himidity.

I'm in the process of re-acclimating since I've went from reefer-boxtruck driving to flatbed truck since my job change. I did two days flatbed when my reefer was down and I've had mild sunburn in the end of the day. Now I try to use sunscreen and wear a hat.

Back