Do you get offended when someone passes you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Depends. If they just pass me, or come up behind me and want to pass, as soon as I can get over, I will. If they don't give me reason to be rude. Like you know, if they just passed someone on the shoulder, or I saw them cutting in and out and all around to get to behind me, in which case I may slow down. But nothing like what you've described. That is simply ridiculous.

But 99% of the time, if someone wants to pass me, I guess they are in a hurry as I'm probably already doing 79mph by now, and I'll let them by.

I very rarely see what you've described. Upstate NY drivers tend to be fairly aggressive, but not like that, we just drive fast. We aren't [censored]s for no reason.
Fast is ok on an empty road...."keep right, keep moving"

I hate "out of order" passing. I guess the best example is when a car has a line of traffic stacked up on a two lane highway. Some jerk is always going to pull out and try to pass before the car right behind the slow car. I ALWAYS look in the rearview and side mirrors before I pass because I can't count the times I've nearly pulled out in front of someone coming up from back in the line of traffic.

I don't like getting run into the back of another vehicle on the interstate. The passing car should either let you get over or speed up and go on so you don't have to get on your brakes.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I dont care if people pass me, though I prefer pass on the left. I do care if someone is tailgating, particularly if there is open road. People from some of the slower states tend to be left lane hogs, and I can appreciate the annoyance in needing them to get over so you can legally pass on the left, but that's not me.

What does get me is when Im cruising along and on an open road, acceptable speed, and someone drives along, gets beside me and then just cruises with no understanding of the world around them. What is worse is if they more or less use my car as an indication of what speed they should be going. It is an open road, no need to sit beside someone else.

I usually turn on my blinker to indicate going into that lane, and if that doesnt work, then wiggle the car a bit. If they dont get it, I either speed away or slow down to get they away. There is no confrontation, more just like dazed and confused.
I took one of those "D&C" broads stuck to my driver's door out in the passing lane up to 95 MPH (on a low enforcement roadway) before she realized HOW FAST she was going. Dropped back IN A HURRY then. I usually stick to the middle lane, I've been passed and repassed a half dozen times on 495 by a twit who would then cut back in to the middle lane in front of me and SLOW DOWN. At some point I nail it and get WAY ahead.

Right. Cars are still the best way to get around (heavy sarcasm). Individuals can make individual decisions. They have individual hangups that have NOTHING to do with you. Remember the future visions we all saw in books and magazines when we were kids. We're living it now except that it's not the utopia that was conceptualized by artists and futurists. The world is populated with a majority of idiots. Countries like ours, as great as it is, cater to the lowest common denominator (called "The American People" by politicians). Therefore, anyone with an actual functional brain suffers.

Argue with me as you will. We are going downhill fast. Unlike the Roman, Byzantine, or Egyptian empires we have technology on our side to speed our decline.

My wife and I were driving back from Nova Scotia and it was like 2AM and we were coming through Quebec. I've got the cruise set in the Mustang at 120-something and I come up behind a slammed Civic with purple interior lights who's doing around 105.

I pull into the hammer lane and overtake him, pull back into the slower lane (this is the Trans-Canada, it is 4-lanes at this point) and continue on.

Well, apparently he owns the highway and passing him is unacceptable
crazy2.gif

He cranks the 4-banger to the wall and [censored]-cannon's by me, pulls in front of me and slows down to 105 again.

I overtake him.

This repeats three or four times.

The last time he tries this, I drop to 3rd, pull to 6K in 3rd and 4th and put several Km's between us. Then I slowed back down to my set speed and we continue on.

Well, he's got all the hamsters working overtime and finally catches up to us as he gets to his exit. He's giving me the finger and yelling some obscenity in french as he takes the exit.

Some people have some serious psychological issues.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I noticed that rednecks are the ones that get most offended when I pass them and they speed up to try to prevent it. It baffles me and it's lame.

+1. I swear around here it is always someone in a newer V8 pickup that you can tell has never been used as a work truck. The other morning I was driving to work at about 7am. There is NOBODY out. I'm on a main road doing the speed limit which is 45 mph on this particular stretch of road. A guy in a newer Chevy 2500 looks right at me, then pulls out in front of me. He cut it so close that I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. The guy is smoking a cigarette and proceeds to toss ashes out the window while still doing 25 mph. About 1/4 mile later a passing zone comes up, and since he is still doing 25 mph in a now 50 mph zone, I pass him. As I pass him he puts it to the floor. I had already went by him at that point but now he is behind me flashing his high beams. About 30 seconds later in a NO PASSING zone he flies by me then cuts in front of me so close that he almost clips my driver side fender. He then slams on the brakes and starts doing 25 mph again. Luckily I turned about a minute later, but I'm not sure what this guy's problem was. There was nobody behind me and he could have easily just not cut me off and done 25 mph the whole way. I find that the people who do that are the ones usually driving something that compensates for something else.

I could care less if people pass me. I always go the speed limit so they will find the cop first. The only time I get mad and high beam them is when they pass me in an unsafe manner such as in a no passing zone with on coming traffic approaching or in a school zone. Three days ago I had a guy pass both me and a school bus with flashing lights right across from a school.
mad.gif

As a rule, no, but here is what happened to me the other morning at 5 AM: I'm on a 2 lane highway with the cruise set at 10 over the limit. Some degenerate human dreg in a pickup gets up on my bumper with his brights on and follows me for 1.5 miles. Then this pus pit passes me, gets in front of me and hits his brakes. Guess the slime ball was displeased that I had my brights on. Guess there are different rules for scum buckets.

I figure that drivers are so poor and stupid that I can only judge my skill by the gestures. If I don't get high beams, horn, or a gesture once in a while that means I am a brain dead driver - like the rest of the US. We are brain dead is the key idea to take from this. People are not getting smarter. Be afraid if you are intelligent. If you are, you know it. There is no place for you. Learn to live with it.

99% of the time I encounter an a-hole driver it's an 18 wheeler. That should be an instant arrest if pulled over.

I don't get offended if I get passed. Rather have them in front of me where I can see them.

I'm a very non-aggressive driver. I usually go 5mph over the speed limit,set the cruise,and stay in the right hand lane. At $4 a gallon,I want that liquid gold to last as long as possible,plus I want my money in my wallet and not some cop's,and I have no reason to tear up my car.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My wife and I were driving back from Nova Scotia and it was like 2AM and we were coming through Quebec. I've got the cruise set in the Mustang at 120-something and I come up behind a slammed Civic with purple interior lights who's doing around 105.

I pull into the hammer lane and overtake him, pull back into the slower lane (this is the Trans-Canada, it is 4-lanes at this point) and continue on.

crazy2.gif

He cranks the 4-banger to the wall and [censored]-cannon's by me, pulls in front of me and slows down to 105 again.

I overtake him.

The last time he tries this, I drop to 3rd, pull to 6K in 3rd and 4th and put several Km's between us. Then I slowed back down to my set speed and we continue on.

Well, he's got all the hamsters working overtime and finally catches up to us as he gets to his exit. He's giving me the finger and yelling some obscenity in french as he takes the exit.

Like the North Carolina Red Neck in my example, you have insulted their manhood by trying to pass them.

How dare you insult their honor!

You are clearly not as important!

They must re-establish their dominance in the tribe by passing you...it is now life or death...

Someone behind me has three choices... stay back there, go around me, or go over me.

Lately, When I'm the the pickup and someone decides to follow me so closely that I can barely see their car over the top edge of the tailgate, I just lift my foot off of the gas pedal, and start coasting.

As soon as they can't stand it anymore, they'll pass and the problem is solved.

Wow...I am glad I live where I do. I never have to deal with any of this garbage behavior. Same 8-10 cars everyday, some large usually courteous semi-truck drivers. My biggest concern is having an unwinding commute while catching up on the news, maybe some tunes or other. I use the time to think about my life. Nothing like you all are describing...yikes.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I also enjoy the antics of the high end import car set when one doe not POST HASTE yield the high speed lane to their nibs in heavy traffic even though there is a mile long string of traffic in front of you and NOBODy can go any faster than you are, so their highness sets off to pass on the right and cut in front of you as an expression of displeasure. I leave not quite enough room for them to cut in.... for the privilege of NOT being able to cut you off, they usually make a rude gesture, and cut someone else off instead. I find AUDI drivers worse than the Bust My's at this.

I do this in heavy traffic and also fake them out by almost completely passing a bus or 18 wheeler then slowing back down again. I ascribe to the theory that traffic jams are a result of over-braking in reaction to those in front, and do my best to smooth things out. 18 wheeler drivers understand this and creep along, mellowing things behind them. I'm only glad to help.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

crazy2.gif

I overtake him.

Nice.
cool.gif
I sawe someone on the Power Tour do something similar...a dude was running ~90 in an older Prelude when a few Tourers (My Caddy, Liz's Grand National, Tina's Z28 SS, a ZR1 Corvette, and a guy in a 70 Super Bee-a legit 6-pack car-leading the pack) passed him. He seemed to get mad, because he fed the chipmunks more Red Bull, passed us, flipped us the bird, and brake-checked the Bee. The guy in the Bee (who almost went into the guardrail avoiding him) punched it...a few miles up, we saw the Prelude pulled over with smoke pouring out from under the hood and the driver gesturing and yelling at us...maybe a mile later, we caught the Bee, which had slowed to ~65. He reported he was doing ~130 when the Quaalude blew up.

I love it when somebody passes me. Now I have a readymade decoy protecting me! I never want to be the fastest car on the road ever.

Heh heh Run Rabbit run.
laugh.gif

I am very paranoid about my driver's license. I need it to work. Once I realized this, I have moderated my driving speeds. It really isnt safer to cruise at the speed limit in the right lane and mess with merging traffic, but it cuts down on the nasty grams.

I used to commute to work in a nice 1990 Caprice 9C1. It was a police package car, certified speedo, Eagle GT's, pie pan hub caps and all but it was privately owned from day one, I was the second owner. Previous owner added dark tint and that's it. Great thing about that car is none of the problems mentioned in this thread ever. I'm on the way to work at 0330 and although there's no traffic most of the way there, when you do encounter an erratic driver they're drunk, stoned or a nut case. The Caprice back then was very recognizable in peoples mirrors when you're about to pass them. The ones who did try shenanigans with me when I passed, quickly put their tails between their legs and wimped out like puppies when they realized they might be playing with a cop. I never got pulled over by cops in that car, even when caught on radar obviously over the speed limit by a good amount.

So then gas prices start going up, get rid of the Caprice and buy a Neon. Dodge Neon, there's the Rodney Dangerfield of the auto world if there is one. And now I'm a better driver. In a Neon you get used to people cutting you off, not letting you pass, tailing you etc, etc. You just got to be ready for who ever wants to be king roadmaster that day. I still drive a bit faster than the speed limit on the way to work, I pass people who need to be passed, let them go on their merry ways if they feel they need to keep the pole position, want to slalom, throw beer bottles etc... I miss that Caprice a bit.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
This is why there is always a pistol in my glove box or on my hip.

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back