Do you get offended when someone passes you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
When were you appointed Arbiter of Everyone Else's Speed?

No one is allowed to impede you.
No one is allowed to pass you.
No one can drive slower than you.
No one can try to drive faster than you.

That seems a pretty lofty expectation for a public road.

It's annoying when some one has ridden your bum (with the passing lane clear,) passed you, and then gotten back in front of you, only to slowly coast back down to less than the speed you're going.

I don't speed, and I always get over for those who want to pass. I'm hyper-courteous to every one on the road, and can't stand those who think they own it, be it by becoming upset when I pass them (or try to,) as well as those who cut me off without signalling, floor it down a lane that is merging in and try to cut in last minute, or any other rude/aggressive/nonsensical act, on purpose or due to obliviousness.

I don't own the road, but please show a little courtesy.

I have to say if the nut jobs use their signals I really don't mind it. At least you know what to expect to a degree.

What peeves more are folks who just randomly dart around with a lack of signaling. Drive like you may but at least let other drivers have a clue of your intentions.

In my Versa, NO
In my GTO at the track, YES
(oh well there will always be someone faster than you)

Sadly I've witnessed a couple of road rage incidents but I am waiting for one with a big jacked up diesel pickup to pick on a smart car or prius and then be greeted by a mossberg out the window for harassing the tiny car. That will be the day.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
One time I was on the the interstate going back to school after spending the weekend at home. They're 100 miles apart. I was just starting my drive and I was on the left lane with traffic behind me and there was this lady in a late 90s-early 00s Accord in front who wasn't even touching speed limit even though there was a lot of space in front of her. This is Florida, almost everyone does 75-80 on the interstate unless they're old and infirmed. I normally keep 70-75, but I follow the flow of traffic when I have to, which wasn't under 70 that day.

I'm admittedly a rather aggressive driver sometimes (especially when I'm crabby in the morning and in a hurry). So I tailgate her a little to see if she would speed up. She ends up brake checking me even though it's 8 AM and I have a whole line of cars behind me with about a car length between me and the car behind me. I try to pass her on the right lane because there was no one there and she immediately punches the gas. Every time I tried to pass her, she would try to block me or brake check me when I ended up behind her even though I stopped tailgating her. This happened for the whole 100 miles until I got off the interstate. Initially I was peeved, but then I thought to myself that she must be a petty person if that one thing managed to irk her for over 1.5 hours and probably ruined her day, which I later found funny because I was over it by the time I reached my destination.
That one's a charter member of the antidestination league.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
One time I was on the the interstate going back to school after spending the weekend at home. They're 100 miles apart. I was just starting my drive and I was on the left lane with traffic behind me and there was this lady in a late 90s-early 00s Accord in front who wasn't even touching speed limit even though there was a lot of space in front of her. This is Florida, almost everyone does 75-80 on the interstate unless they're old and infirmed. I normally keep 70-75, but I follow the flow of traffic when I have to, which wasn't under 70 that day.

I'm admittedly a rather aggressive driver sometimes (especially when I'm crabby in the morning and in a hurry). So I tailgate her a little to see if she would speed up. She ends up brake checking me even though it's 8 AM and I have a whole line of cars behind me with about a car length between me and the car behind me. I try to pass her on the right lane because there was no one there and she immediately punches the gas. Every time I tried to pass her, she would try to block me or brake check me when I ended up behind her even though I stopped tailgating her. This happened for the whole 100 miles until I got off the interstate. Initially I was peeved, but then I thought to myself that she must be a petty person if that one thing managed to irk her for over 1.5 hours and probably ruined her day, which I later found funny because I was over it by the time I reached my destination.
I've been known to blow by an S head like that in the breakdown lane and kick rocks all over the s head's car. They are scared of anyone crazier than they are.

does not bother me if somebody wants to pass on a two lane road. not to found of the times when people are passing other cars on a single road because they feel the need to do 80 in a 45 zone lol

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
This is why there is always a pistol in my glove box or on my hip.

crazy2.gif

i hate when ppl are in the passing line driving slow with nobody in front of them and dont pull over. that and when ppl ride on my bumper no matter which lane im in. although especially when i get tailed in the passing lane when there is clearly alot of cars in front of me and i cant go anywhere.

regarding your situation, you did the right thing. he is the one who burned the light and looks bad.

and to the guy who said thats why i have a gun in my glovebox..thats whats wrong with society. to pull a gun when ur life aint threatened.

I noticed that rednecks are the ones that get most offended when I pass them and they speed up to try to prevent it. It baffles me and it's lame.

In the German car's owners manual it says you should NEVER just merge with traffic to use an off ramp, you must speed to the head of the line, cut over, and then jam on your superior brakes so as to make the exit. Who cares what everyone else in back of you has to do. YOU are important.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
When were you appointed Arbiter of Everyone Else's Speed?

No one is allowed to impede you.
No one is allowed to pass you.
No one can drive slower than you.
No one can try to drive faster than you.

That seems a pretty lofty expectation for a public road.
When the slower car ignores the rule of "keep RIGHT and KEEP MOVING". Then.

Originally Posted By: DNVDMAX

In my GTO at the track, YES

Hello fellow GTO owner!
thumbsup2.gif

I figure if I pass someone I have to be consistent in my reasoning for a few miles. I do often wake people up and then they ride behind me, either using me for a "rabbit" to catch cops or just because they were woken up from texting or whatever.

My state has lots of two lane roads that open up into 4-lane ones for 100 yards before and after major intersections. It's like the engineers decided stop lights were choke points and did this to cram more cars through greens. There's lot of passive aggression at these intersections, usually 3/4 ton powerstrokes deciding they WILL make it one more car length ahead of their game at every light, and yielding to noone even if it means driving them into the ditch or oncoming traffic.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

and to the guy who said thats why i have a gun in my glovebox..thats whats wrong with society. to pull a gun when ur life aint threatened.

I dont think he was implying he would use it unnecessarily. Some people take things farther that they should be as evidenced by the person above that was followed.
I keep a pistol at hand as well, but my first defense would just be to drive, as long as I can and call the police.
But, you seem to forget that vehicles weigh thousands of pounds. They are easily capable of causing bodily harm, or death. They can also disable other vehicles.

I dont mind getting passed. I rather be passed than tailgated. Most people don't hog the fast lane in front of me. The rare time someone does, I eventually just pass them on the right. I haven't had a problem that I can recall yet. I have had people Ive passed figure out Im not who they thought I was and pass me after they slowed down and moved over for me. I dont really care about that; par for the course when you are driving a CV.

I could write a book on this craziness,just saw yesterday a 1990 something Buick driver takes it from the left lane (three lane + one continuous right turn lane) a-t-w- across into the right turn ,used it as a passing lane to get right back over to his previous lane.
This happens quite alot since Dot put in continuous right turn lanes to help ease congestion and prevent the barneys who panic stop to turn right.

Then there are the "pacers". They try the Jedi mind control you into going the exact same pace as they. When that doesn't work they will lock-on like a pit bull,match your every action to move up in the pack.Is this a subconscious thing? They act like they're not even aware of their own actions and it's perpetrated by young and old alike as if to enforce a rolling speed control/ road block effect. Idunno..the collisions I've witnessed,There's too much to much to list here,and too dark.

I dont care if people pass me, though I prefer pass on the left. I do care if someone is tailgating, particularly if there is open road. People from some of the slower states tend to be left lane hogs, and I can appreciate the annoyance in needing them to get over so you can legally pass on the left, but that's not me.

What does get me is when Im cruising along and on an open road, acceptable speed, and someone drives along, gets beside me and then just cruises with no understanding of the world around them. What is worse is if they more or less use my car as an indication of what speed they should be going. It is an open road, no need to sit beside someone else.

I usually turn on my blinker to indicate going into that lane, and if that doesnt work, then wiggle the car a bit. If they dont get it, I either speed away or slow down to get they away. There is no confrontation, more just like dazed and confused.

I've been known to blow by an S head like that in the breakdown lane and kick rocks all over the s head's car. They are scared of anyone crazier than they are.
I hasten to add that in the People's Republic, "travel in the breakdown lane is permitted during certain (rush) hours" despite that, it is usually littered with rocks, sand, and assorted GM car parts.

Traffic being unpredictable at times, I'll give a break to anyone who sees the lane they are trying to merge into suddenly packed with bumper to bumper traffic if they would JUST use their turn signals, but those superior beings who just edge over thinking they'll intimidate me into jacking up to let them in, THEY get the Clint Eastwood stare.

I also enjoy the antics of the high end import car set when one doe not POST HASTE yield the high speed lane to their nibs in heavy traffic even though there is a mile long string of traffic in front of you and NOBODy can go any faster than you are, so their highness sets off to pass on the right and cut in front of you as an expression of displeasure. I leave not quite enough room for them to cut in.... for the privilege of NOT being able to cut you off, they usually make a rude gesture, and cut someone else off instead. I find AUDI drivers worse than the Bust My's at this.

Last edited:
Depends. If they just pass me, or come up behind me and want to pass, as soon as I can get over, I will. If they don't give me reason to be rude. Like you know, if they just passed someone on the shoulder, or I saw them cutting in and out and all around to get to behind me, in which case I may slow down. But nothing like what you've described. That is simply ridiculous.

But 99% of the time, if someone wants to pass me, I guess they are in a hurry as I'm probably already doing 79mph by now, and I'll let them by.

I very rarely see what you've described. Upstate NY drivers tend to be fairly aggressive, but not like that, we just drive fast. We aren't [censored]s for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back