Do you ever get repair fatigue?

I've had to fix so much crap over the past couple years I've been in an almost constant state of dread. Got to fix that, that's gonna break, etc. Vehicles and house. The biggest problem is there are no ethical, competent people in my area to do any of this so even though I can afford it, that's not a feasible option.

I've got leaky pipes, bad idle, dishwasher that won't drain, siding that needs replaced, a broken window, a poorly cooling AC (in two vehicles!), etc. These are just a few of the things left AFTER the head gasket and transmission were fixed.

Yes, I do have old stuff. An old house and old vehicles, but really, my list of chores lately has gotten unusually long.

:cry:

I hear ya! I'm getting a house ready to sell, working, and have a list of maintenance and car repair items I want to take care of.

We bought a house that was well maintained and needs nothing. I got tired of spending every "free" minute working on a @#$@#$ing house.

Still have a laundry lift of a vehicle stuff to fix. At least I enjoy that.

It's mostly why we decided to order a Forester and will be trading in the Jeep.

I don't mind doing maintenance, things I can plan for and schedule some time on the weekend. But when unexpected repairs are needed and my wife needs to drive it to work the next day and all I want to do is veg out and watch some tv after a long day etc etc doing repairs gets really old, really fast.

One reason I'm keeping the Accent forever is how easy it is to work on, after a long week of working on other people's cars if mine needs fixed at least it's simple and won't give me a huge headache.

Last 30 days I fixed the boat/PWC/washing machine/ice maker/pool, there's more I'm sure but
I'm tired of fixing stuff.

This is my life. Bought a fixer-upper house on 5 acres back in 2012. Everything needs updated. Got most of the way through a bathroom remodel and ran out of steam. Trying to do this with a job that regularly works me 2700 hours a year while trying to be husband and father is more than one man can handle.

I feel your pain, I kind of enjoy the freedom of old junk, but I was looking around the garage the other day, and the only things that have been almost totally trouble free, I bought new.... My "new" house is now 15 too so stuff is coming up... Why did I pick a plastic dryer and bathroom vent covers? I'm going to find aluminum, or cast iron replacements!
The Focus is running under a mission critical maintenance plan for the moment, if it doesn't make the car stop, go, or turn, or keep the windshield clear, its fine to leave it for a bit/forever...

I've got two young boys so there's bikes, and in the winter ski tuning is a weekly thing, the old snowmobile is fun for them too and hopefully it will go for a couple years without much after a track swap last year...
I did put a ban on remote control stuff, its just not worth it until they buy and fix that junk themselves... Traxxas, aliexpress china stuff, drones doesn't matter, it all breaks and I'm not messing with it anymore.... Go ride your bike, play catch, etc

Last edited:
But when unexpected repairs are needed and my wife needs to drive it to work the next day and all I want to do is veg out and watch some tv after a long day etc etc doing repairs gets really old, really fast.
This is what stresses me. I start thinking if one more vehicle breaks someone is going to be out a vehicle. We have three drivers and four vehicles but none of them are completely reliable.

I really enjoy the troubleshooting aspects and learning and researching youtube and internet to fix my problem. But after a while, it does get tiring, especially if my efforts are in vain.

I do all the time but put the stuff on what's important list to get done while other stuff just sits.

In some cases where I really need a break, I just pay to have it done. If fixing stuff is not fun, why do it.

I don’t mind fixing something up, but that is initially. After that I just expect it to work.

I have discovered that if I let some things go unrepaired long enough, the problem disappears. I.E., it becomes obsolete or parts are no longer available, etc..

Yes, repair fatigue happens with me also. I have a kitchen remodel start that I have delayed a year.

Back