Do you care if a vehicle's hood has a prop rod?

Counterbalancing springs = no maintenance
gas struts always need to be replaced
prop rods, are a pain
my 25 year old Grand Cherokee has springs.

So struts/springs better... but you still have essentially a prop rod as your fail-safe when the strut fails on you?

I have used one in the past when the strut did fail, until I could get the replacement. Not as a "use every day" thing, but after the struts got lazy until I could source replacements (or afford them as I was in high school).

Without going out to check I don't know if mine has springs or struts, all I care about is it stays put when I open it and it will open completely vertical for better access if needed.

Very interesting to see everyone's thoughts. It reminds me of 15+ years ago when I told a buddy that LED tail lamps are important to me, my next car must have them. He said, "How often do you drive behind your own car?" lol So in a similar fashion, I suppose, how often is your hood up, that you would see what keeps it up? Again, I love seeing a pair of struts. Today they are cheap thanks to online (again $8 to $18 or so), but if they cost $80 each, no thanks... :D

Subaru is the first car we've had with struts, and an underhood light! I guess its nice, but its only been opened maybe 50-60 times? I see they are as cheap as $32US/pair ordered online. I bet my dealer will have them up near ~$100 though...
I guess I see them as a bit of unnecessary bloatware.
Ford did manage to partially screw up a prop rod in the Focus, they used some kind of cheap rubbery stuff on the pivot to stop any rattle or scratching of the paint. But it hardens up and falls apart every 5-6 years. They are pretty cheap though...

The hinges get rusty and fight you until one folds sideways... that's a fun day. Be sure to hit them with WD-40 before that happens.
Why not use a true lubricant? :ROFLMAO:

Some vehicles with springs are known to bend the hood if you let the hinges get too rusty.

Likely cost to manufacture: spring > strut > rod
Weight: springs> struts > rods

Why not use a true lubricant? :ROFLMAO:

Some vehicles with springs are known to bend the hood if you let the hinges get too rusty.

Likely cost to manufacture: spring > strut > rod
Weight: springs> struts > rods
How about trunk struts? Since 2 of my cars have them, one German and one Japanese, I think it was a sign of the times, as they are 2007 and 2006 respectively. To me, it makes the trunk lid heavier and more easily slammed, a disadvantage. BUT, I thought the trade off was there really isn't any intrusion into the trunk space, so more usable cargo area....

With the decline of sedans being made trunk struts are a rare thing now.

Now soft closing doors, that’s a sign of luxury or laziness.

Never had strut failed.
But I did have plastic clip that holds prop fail on Toyota Sienna. I managed to get out once I heard some noise, before collapsing.

With the decline of sedans being made trunk struts are a rare thing now.

Now soft closing doors, that’s a sign of luxury or laziness.
I once had this idea, what if in addition to the soft close door, a hologram of a hand wearing a white glove, appeared near the handle, creating the illusion of a butler closing the door. I was going to go on Shark Tank but chickened out....:)

The original gas strut (yes I say strut, it only ever had 1) on my 2004 golf still works to this day. I'm sure it'll fail anytime now that I've said this but it's nice to not have the prop rod in the way, but I'm also a fan of simplicity and not needing parts replaced.

I miss the springs the old cars had, they rarely ever failed it seems.

Dislike gas struts that eventually will need replacement, dislike prop rods that need to be manually put up. I guess theres no pleasing me lol.

So I guess thsoe whose objection to struts rests mainly on their finite life either have to suffer through their convenience on trunk lids and lift gates, or retrofit prop rods instead?

And on that TSX, is there a twin rod on the other side of the compartment, so when changing the belts (darn, there's that replacement thing again) it doesn't get in the way, even if just a little? Now, where's my patent lawyer's phone number…

Or, maybe in another bit of Volvo trivia, maybe there should be an arrangement like the old 200 wagons, where the left side had an assist strut, and the other side a locking lever, which bore the brunt of the load when the strut lost its force. Best of both worlds.

Also reminded, gotta go grease the power window motors…

;)

I once had this idea, what if in addition to the soft close door, a hologram of a hand wearing a white glove, appeared near the handle, creating the illusion of a butler closing the door. I was going to go on Shark Tank but chickened out....:)

That’s odd.

Come to think of it, the last vehicle I owned with the old springs hinge needed a stick to keep it open as it would slowly lower over a few minutes.

And on that TSX, is there a twin rod on the other side of the compartment, so when changing the belts (darn, there's that replacement thing again) it doesn't get in the way, even if just a little? Now, where's my patent lawyer's phone number…

;)
The TSX is like most Hondas; 2 hole positions and one prop rod on the passenger side. It is not in the way for anything I have done. The TSX is bigger than a Civic; the K24 is kinda tight. I hate changing the rear mounted oil filter.

Back