Do you care if a vehicle's hood has a prop rod?

I remember the old spring-counterbalanced hoods. They were convenient, but are pretty much obsolete because they wasted space, added useless weight, added cost, and sometimes squeaked.
I didn't know that some Hondas have a near vertical hood, with a prop rod. ...
My Toyota also has an alternate prop-rod hole that holds the hood up nearly vertical. Gas struts and spring linkages (at least the old American ones) typically won't let the hood go as high as a typical prop set-up.
My Mazda had the "none-of-the-above" option---a short, hinged 2-bar linkage that propped the front-hinged hood open.
Late-'50s Fords featured front-hinged hoods.

I prefer the old school springs or prop rod. My dealings with struts is that they're just an unnecessary headache and expense every few years.

I like simplicity, and lightness, so yes, a rod is preferable in that respect.

But, it gets in the way, every bonnet lift is a risk to go awry, and we live in the 21st Century, so a self-supporting hood is one mod con that's hard to let go of once experienced.

Yes, struts have become a mainstream feature, as have scissor hinges, while the luxo marques have cheapened out by reverting to gooseneck hinges for the boot lid, and shrouding them in trim to prevent interference, and make the trunk appear neat, tidy, and uniform in dimension.

My favorite hood arrangement of the cars I've owned is the Volvo 700 series, which had spring-assisted sciissor hinges, and simple catches that could be flipped to allow the hood to strand straight up in service position. Even on a BMW, that required removing a couple screws to release another folded segment of the hinge, and it was not a self-supporting arrangement.

But, that Volvo setup did require some space, and I simply think that kind of cost, and effort to engineer such a refined, but little noticed feature is not seen as worthwhile for OEMs as in the past, so the body-in-white guys just do whatever is simplest and cheapest…like a rod, even.

Nope , I don't care either way.

Prop rod or struts does not equate to quality nor being of quality , IMHO.

2010 Lexus LF-A uses a prop rod .

P1010007.jpg

While a 2013 Hyundai Sonata uses hood struts...

rBVapmCBZ2qAMqEmAAZFYHVJXg8492.jpg
Exactly. The rod screams classic style. The struts look cheap and tacky. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” L Da Vinci

I have prop rods on both of my cars. Those hoods are heavy. I know the possibility of both struts failing suddenly are remote but I feel safer with the props.

I'll take struts all day long. They tend to last quite a bit longer on aluminum hoods as they are holding way less weight. They also are not going to just fail one second with the hood open...it'll be pretty obvious over time that they're coming due. I have original struts on both vehicles in my sig with no issues whatsoever.

On the subject of this thread, when you are storing a car with lift supports indoors for an extended period of time, should you leave the hood or hatch open? I always do, thinking it relieves pressure in the struts making them last longer. Also reduces the chance of mice nesting if underhood is out in the open.

Back