Do manufacturers undercoat frames and body?

Seeing as though we have a new 4Runner, does Toyota undercoat their frame + body at the factory? Concerned with the salt/brine situation here in MD. Seems almost it can be 75, sunny, yet we have salt trucks and brine trucks throwing it everywhere.

I plan to give a weekly winter car wash with the undercarriage in mind until I can start washing in the springtime.

Seeing as though we have a new 4Runner, does Toyota undercoat their frame + body at the factory? Concerned with the salt/brine situation here in MD. Seems almost it can be 75, sunny, yet we have salt trucks and brine trucks throwing it everywhere.

I plan to give a weekly winter car wash with the undercarriage in mind until I can start washing in the springtime.
They do, but after a single storm rust formation seems to occur. Undercoat the beast.

Dealers used to do undercoating for customers who wanted it, my Dad always had a new car done.

Did you pay for that service when you bought the vehicle? Not difficult to crawl under it to see if it is done.

I find what does and doesn't get coated to be absolutely fascinating. With Ford, most differential housings at least were unpainted. The cars or trucks would come off the delivery truck with rusted diff housings. My Mustang had a painted diff housing because it was a Track Pack. However there are these little weights bolted to the sides that aren't painted.

Did you pay for that service when you bought the vehicle? Not difficult to crawl under it to see if it is done.
I did check. Our Honda has nothing. My old Chevy, in 2017, came coated in some thick grease. Never saw rust on it at all in the 3 years I owned I.

This has a very, very smooth black “paint” that has me wondering whether or not this is a coating from the factory that is able to withstand rust.

Yes they e-coat it. Although due to cost cutting initiatives they have reduced the thickness of the e-coat over the years.

Get it undercoated with NH oil, Fluid Film, etc. Something along those lines and get it recoated yearly or every other year based on location.
What is the e-coat mean?

I can describe what is underneath as a very, very smooth black “paint”. Very odd but it’s everywhere except on the stainless bolts.

Yes they e-coat it. Although due to cost cutting initiatives they have reduced the thickness of the e-coat over the years.

Get it undercoated with NH oil, Fluid Film, etc. Something along those lines and get it recoated yearly or every other year based on location.
I did just look up what that meant lol Excuse my ignorance.

Seems it is durable, eh? According to online it’s the best there is.

Is this new tech they’re using?

New Rav4 hybrid here. I try not to drive it much in salt however we took it to Minneapolis last week and I am sure there was a little salt on the roads. I don't drive them until they rust out but my Civic at 141,000 rounds is getting a little shaky and I have done the fluid film thing which helps. The main thing is don't worry about it because usually something happens where you sell it before the rust gets where it is showing.

I did just look up what that meant lol Excuse my ignorance.

Seems it is durable, eh? According to online it’s the best there is.

Is this new tech they’re using?
It’s thin these days, and typically bare metal underneath.

Cost reductions have thinned it out over the years, stone chips to the coating will create rust spots rather quickly. If I intended to keep the vehicle for awhile I’d get it coated by a shop.

All my truck body panels are just painted aluminum. The frame and suspension are painted steel with rust spots. The differential and exhaust came with rust spots from the factory. So, the answer is "no" for a 2021 F150.

All mainstream manufacturers do rust preventative coats to some degree. None are good enough for a car to last here for the long run. If you want it to really last you'll want to take more action than weekly car washes.

I’d get some Fluid Film and start spraying inside the frame and underside cavities. I also pull a bolt here or there and spray inside the body cavity at the doors, in the doors, a pillar, dog leg, etc. I’ll give the engine cradle a blast as well as hit the rear area real hard, especially any metal the bumper. Brake lines, etc are good to hit as well.

You’ll want to wash the stuff you can see in the Spring when the salt is gone, as dirt does stick to it.

We bought a decent 99 4Runner out of TN to IA and filled the frame with multiple cans of Fluid Film, since that is a major problem for them.

When I bought my Tundra - I stopped by Lowe’s and got a case (six cans) of Fluid Film. I sprayed down the frame, exposed bolts, and cavities. I recommend doing the same.

Wear some clothes you are willing to throw away - that much lanolin will leave them (and you) smelling like sheep. Easier to throw that set of clothes out than try and washout the smell of the Fluid Film.

Back