Welcoming the newest addition to the fleet ... a bright red 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4x4.

Over the weekend, we welcomed home the newest addition to the fleet. A 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Crew cab.

Found this gem in St. Louis, at all places, on a Honda dealer's lot.

It was a one owner Arkansas truck. 43,180 miles. 5.3 V8.
No accidents, no body or paint work that I could find... anywhere.
No rust or corrosion on the frame, undercarriage, or wheels... it has probably never been on a salt covered road before.
6 speed transmission (not an 8 speed), with a 3.42 rear end.
Bright red with tan leather seats (IMHO, much better than black leather in the summertime).
New Goodyear Wrangler tires, and new brakes (pads and rotors) on all four corners.
Painted ARE bed lid, with a spray on bedliner.
Z71 package. (Why... on a truck like this? I have no idea. But it was only a $350 option.)
Navigation, Bose audio and a factory trailer brake controller.
6" factory step rails with mudflaps.
The window sticker was carefully folded up inside the glovebox.

It was a late 2018 build, that didn't get sold and titled until April, 2019. It sold new from a small town (population 2,000) Arkansas dealer who only sells GMC's. I never imagined that would be possible anymore... a dealer who only sells GMC, in some little town.

One of the trip odometers had never been reset from new. It read 43,180 miles, with an average fuel economy of 20.0 mpg. That tells me right there that this truck has led a fairly sedate life. You're not going to see 20.0 mpg over 43,000 miles if you're regularly towing or hauling with it, or commuting with it in bumper to bumper traffic.

The only thing that it is "missing" is a center console. It has the fold down storage armrest with the skinny seat. Although a center console from the salvage yard can quickly fix that issue. That's not a big deal. Easily fixable. Can't get too picky in the market like this, when the rest of the truck was in excellent condition.

It had everything that we wanted, and really nothing that we didn't want (except maybe the Z71 package, LOL). Possibly the "Rancho" shocks that come with the Z71 package are worth it? I wasn't even considering 8 speed units when looking for this truck. No desire. I realize that the 6 speeds aren't the best performers, but they don't have issues like the 8 speeds. I've driven an 8 speed with issues. They're flat out awful.... near constant shuddering, and slamming into gear when shifting. While looking for this one, I spotted 2 - low mileage 2018's with 8 speeds, that have been sitting on the dealer's lot for a YEAR. Not good.

So, yes. Despite all of the crap that is out there, there are still a few nice vehicles to be found... and at a reasonable price when compared to the competition. You just have to take your time, be patient, and do a lot of searching.... and don't scoff at the poor GMC Sierra that somehow got stuck on a Honda lot. It was by far the best truck that I found, and at the best price.

Oh yeah, and that spiffy $29 silver tape pinstripe, that the dealer in Arkansas probably charged someone $299 for... LOL.

1651511324472.png

1651511374579.png

1651525989198.png

1651512429225.png

Last edited:
Beautiful Truck in and out. Congrats and many years and miles of reliable service.

This truck seems quite similar to our '15 Silverado (with the exception of the leather and the obvious difference in brand, though they're quite similar altogether), which has been quite good to us for the past eight or so years. I assume this is the 5.3?
Lifetime MPG on ours is 19 and change, and it's seen primarily a combo of short-trip, small-town commuting (2 miles or so) and several hundred mile highway trips, plus a little towing and a bit of harder work. Ours has been a very livable and pleasant truck to have and drive, even on the highway, and has held up quite well. There's nothing suggesting yours won't provide excellent service for quite a long time (and the no salt deal is fantastic, to boot!) Congrats - I think you'll be very happy with it!

Not a red truck fan but yours is gorgeous with the tan leather interior! IMO The GMC front grille and the front in general is so much better looking than the Chevys! (y)

The company I retired from last year has used the same color scheme on all their pickups since the 90's. I always liked it, and it was easy to keep looking good. Your truck still looks like new, great find.

Over the weekend, we welcomed home the newest addition to the fleet. A 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Crew cab.

Found this gem in St. Louis, at all places, on a Honda dealer's lot.

It was a one owner Arkansas truck. 43,180 miles. 5.3 V8.
No accidents, no body or paint work that I could find... anywhere.
No rust or corrosion on the frame, undercarriage, or wheels... it has probably never been on a salt covered road before.
6 speed transmission (not an 8 speed), with a 3.42 rear end.
Bright red with tan leather seats (IMHO, much better than black leather in the summertime).
New Goodyear Wrangler tires, and new brakes (pads and rotors) on all four corners.
Painted ARE bed lid, with a spray on bedliner.
Z71 package. (Why... on a truck like this? I have no idea. But it was only a $350 option.)
Navigation, Bose audio and a factory trailer brake controller.
6" factory step rails with mudflaps.
The window sticker was carefully folded up inside the glovebox.

It was a late 2018 build, that didn't get sold and titled until April, 2019. It sold new from a small town (population 2,000) Arkansas dealer who only sells GMC's. I never imagined that would be possible anymore... a dealer who only sells GMC, in some little town.

One of the trip odometers had never been reset from new. It read 43,180 miles, with an average fuel economy of 20.0 mpg. That tells me right there that this truck has led a fairly sedate life. You're not going to see 20.0 mpg over 43,000 miles if you're regularly towing or hauling with it, or commuting with it in bumper to bumper traffic.

The only thing that it is "missing" is a center console. It has the fold down storage armrest with the skinny seat. Although a center console from the salvage yard can quickly fix that issue. That's not a big deal. Easily fixable. Can't get too picky in the market like this, when the rest of the truck was in excellent condition.

It had everything that we wanted, and really nothing that we didn't want (except maybe the Z71 package, LOL). Possibly the "Rancho" shocks that come with the Z71 package are worth it? I wasn't even considering 8 speed units when looking for this truck. No desire. I realize that the 6 speeds aren't the best performers, but they don't have issues like the 8 speeds. I've driven an 8 speed with issues. They're flat out awful.... near constant shuddering, and slamming into gear when shifting. While looking for this one, I spotted 2 - low mileage 2018's with 8 speeds, that have been sitting on the dealer's lot for a YEAR. Not good.

So, yes. Despite all of the crap that is out there, there are still a few nice vehicles to be found... and at a reasonable price when compared to the competition. You just have to take your time, be patient, and do a lot of searching.... and don't scoff at the poor GMC Sierra that somehow got stuck on a Honda lot. It was by far the best truck that I found, and at the best price.

Oh yeah, and that spiffy $29 silver tape pinstripe, that the dealer in Arkansas probably charged someone $299 for... LOL.

View attachment 98453

View attachment 98454
View attachment 98483

View attachment 98456
Beautiful truck. One good looking rig 👍
Best of luck with it

Congrats! Beautiful truck. As much as I quite like my ford, GM seems to have interiors that are a step up in quality and fit. The red on tan is so nice!

I have a 2028 Silverado LTZ- basically the equivalent of your truck. That's a nice truck you purchased. The 6 speed is not a very refined transmission- but there haven't been reliability concerns. Two things- get the cooler thermostat installed for the transmission and change the fluid. There was a TSB for the thermostat that can be changed at no charge if there is any power train warranty left.

I think previous owner may have lived there since new just to guard his/her truck, LOL. That thing still looks new @ 43K+ & may have never seen rain

2014-2018 6L80E's are dropping like flies from torque converter failure, The transmission calibration is especially trash. 6L80E TC failure was common enough BEFORE the K2XX platform.
They sell 40,000 units a month of these trucks-under normal circumstances. There have been some with issues but many of those have been higher mile trucks.

I have 45,000 miles on mine-let me know when I can expect a failure.

Nice truck. Not a modern GM guy but that is a good looking one and it’s before they changed to the terrible looking body style. Only thing that would of been a deal breaker for me is leather seats and Goodyear Wrangler I don’t do those. But glad you found it for a decent price with decent miles.

Back