Toyota Factory Undercoat

This was the response I received from Toyota in regards to my inquiry about if they undercoat at the factory. Enjoy. Also, basically reads to me like, “As long as salt, brine, gravel, or any other surface material is not to blame on the rust then we’ll cover it.” Seems about as worthless as the email it was sent through 🤣🤣

“We have confirmed Toyota does apply an undercoating to the chassis, floor underside, sheet metal fitting weld points of the body, and inside of the wheel house to prevent rust and noise, as well as protect the body from gravel.

Additionally, Toyota does provide a Corrosion Perforation Warranty which is for 5 years unlimited mileage. This warranty covers any repair or replacement to the original body panels of the vehicle that are perforated as a result of corrosion and where such damage is not attributable to non-warrantable sources such as, but not limited to, accident damage and unrepaired surface corrosion. Corrosion other than perforation is covered for 3 years or 36,000, whichever occurs first. Corrosion due to external forces or damages caused by stones, gravel, salt, industrial fallout or pollution etc. is not covered.

For more warranty information, please see the Warranty and Maintenance Guide. A digital copy of this guide can be found at https://www.toyota.com/owners/warranty-owners-manuals/.”

Reactions: hrv
My 2005 Scion (Toyota) body panels have been rust free for 15 years and most of them still are sans the RR quarter. Some road debris got caught up in the wheel well, damaged the inner wheel housing which created a perforation allowing moisture inside. This formed a little rust bubble, but that's OK for a 20 year old car.

Corrosion Warranty are just a joke with all car manufacturers.

Rusty Mazda 3.JPG

Define undercoat. It certainly isn't oiled, nor sealed up with rubber. Well painted though?

But 3 years, unpainted metal will not perforate within 3 years.

On my 2011 Camry, at the 11 year mark, it didn't seem bad underneath, exhaust was pretty scaly of course. But I found a perforation behind one of the liners in the wheel well. Spot where dirt was being held against the metal by the liner it seems, although the general area is a good sand trap--the cars w/o liners do get some dirt in there, but nothing like what I saw with that linear in place. No wonder the rockers like to go out. [My VW Jetta was the same way, they go from those spots.]

When I used to use the rental lift at work to change oil and ATF, I put a used rags 10 seconds after the fluid poured out and used that soaked rag to wipe down the underbody. I did spray the Accord with high heat resistant paint spec for outdoor grill. I wanted to do the same for the Fit but the new shop employee at the time wasn’t cool with it. It has been awhile since I look underneath both car but I never saw any surface rust on actual parts when I did; the nuts and hinges on the Accord May had ligh specks of rust but I don’t recall. The petroleum fluid help even though they get baked off in high heat they get partially impregnated into the metal and the non-heated parts have films of fluid on top of limited underbody spray from factory.

They do spray salt around here And I try to spray the underbody afterward.

I’m surprised just how many people still believe rustproofing treatments aren’t worth the effort or that they don’t work.

This forum alone has so many positive testimonies with pictures and long term experiences that it should be pretty clear these treatments work.

I am not surprised. There are scams like electronic rust protection.

Most people also don't look underneath the car to see what it looks like.

They don't see any on the body and claim the car does not have a speck or rust.

Back